Author Topic: Broome and the Kimberley in April  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
Broome and the Kimberley in April
« on: December 09, 2017, 12:20:08 AM »
I have managed to get close to three weeks off in April/May next year and I’m considering Broome and parts of the Kimberley for a family trip. My only concern is it’s the tail end of wet season, so I’m hoping some fellow Swaggers can enlighten me as to weather we should go at this time or not. All comments and thoughts appreciated

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Broome and the Kimberley in April
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:43:49 AM »
Ger08
l like the way you think check out the ideas early . The trip will be weather dependant as to when the Wet finishes , how big it was , what repairs need to be done . Now is the time to start contacting the tourist info people at Kununurra & Broome to discuss .
Some of the areas you wont/might not be able to get to which could frustrate you . However The Kimberly is well worth a visit at anytime .          Enjoy  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:15:02 AM »

As mentioned it all depends on how big the wet season is and when the roads are open. You starting from the Kunnunurra end and roughly what dates.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »
We have been volunteers on the Gibb Challenge for the last 7 years. It's a charity bicycle ride that goes from Derby to ElQuestro in early may every year. Usually the Gibb River Rd has only just opened along its length at that time but some of the side roads can still be closed if they've had a late wet.
You might be lucky, you might not that early in the season. Mid to late may would be a safer bet.
Oh and 3 weeks? Where are you coming from? We did Albany on the south coast of WA, the Gibb and back home again one year in three weeks and vowed never again! Too little time to relax, just constant driving.
Or do you plan to fly to Broome and hire a 4WD?

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »
Thanks for all the responses- we are based in Perth so that’s the starting point. I’m trying to keep it simple and see some the must sees without pushing too hard and trying to have back up plans in place if the wet season has been a big one.
I’d really appreciate other members top three places to visit and must do’s and should avoids.

Thanks again - I just love the awesome advice on this forum

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 01:29:06 PM »
Perth to Ningaloo about 1200 km by Google maps and other spots in between might be some of interest here, worth a look https://www.youtube.com/user/GreatAussieAdventure/videos
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »
Try the Eneabba Tavern on the way up , used to work in the area  & had  :cheers:

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »
I hate to sound like a wet blanket but as others have indicated you may be a little ambitious.

It's basically three days drive Perth to Broome unless you put in some long hours and  travel at night and then three days home again. There goes six days of the three weeks.

And if the roads are still dodgy at that time of year your schedule might easily be disrupted. Purnululu (aka the Bungles) is a must but the road in is often one of the last to be opened.

I am an unashamed Pilbara fan. If you haven't been there that would be my choice. Three weeks would give you plenty of  time to see the sights on the way up and  back and there is plenty to explore in a more lesiurely fashion.

A nice circle route would be up the coast  to Ningaloo, then inland to Millstream and Karijini and home via Mt Augustus and Kennedy Range.

Whatever you choose it will likely  still be warm there.

Good luck with it.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:27:58 PM by rossm »
The following users thanked this post: Ger08

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 03:27:52 PM »
Thanks again for all the responses- yes are a little concerned that the time we will have is tight however it is unlikely we will get the chance to do this for several years. We have done the Perth - Exxie, Coral Bay trip and loved it and that was probably on the agenda again, until we started researching the Kimberley.

It’s great to hear all the different views

Offline Wunderlust

• Tent User
    • NoSetPlan.com.au
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »
Completed four months working in the Gibb finishing in September. As said above given six days travel as a minimum plus travelling the Gibb and the return leg, you really are not giving much time to enjoy the journey especially if you want to spend some time exploring. Three weeks on the Gibb would be a minimum, however I did meet people doing it in a week however they were travelling everyday and cramming in what they could without experiencing anything..my two cents worth.
No Set Plan - Our Aussie Adventurehttp://www.nosetplan.com.au

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 05:37:58 PM »
Thanks again - just spoken to the financial controller and some friends that maybe travelling with us and it’s pretty much set in concrete - do it now or wait until 2021 due to high school etc. I’m starting to lean back to Exxie and C-Bay but i will continue to investigate the Kimberley- which may actually really mean Broome and areas close to Broome.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »
The Kimberly is about 180000000 years Old  , it cant really be experienced in 3 weeks from Perth return . Just might be a bit too far  .
l don't mean to be cruel .                              :cheers:

Offline Ragman

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 11:05:00 PM »
we did Perth to Kununarra via the Gibb in July - August. Have to agree with the others 4 weeks ok, 3 would be hard work.
So many places on the Gibb you want/need to stay at least 2 nights.
Tell the boss "it's cut up rough"

Offline cetacean

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 12:15:21 PM »
The other thing to consider is the daytime temps. The Kimberley can still be outrageously hot in April
Mazda BT50, Trakmaster Sturt X-- Country, Stacer 369 Seasprite

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »
But the Cans would be cold    :cup:      :cheers:

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »
I live in the Pilbara and have spent a fair bit of time up in the Kimberley, my advice is wait until 2021 when you can have more time, rushing the Kimberley will only leave you frustrated you didn't take more time, its seriously that good up there!  Don't forget you should spend a couple of days in the mainstream towns and not just concentrate on the Gibb etc, Broome, Derby, Kununurra, wyndham are all places you should spend time in or at least visit which will chew into you off road travels.

As mentioned above, i would recommend the Pilbara for three weeks. some very special places here too.

3 weeks Perth to Kimberly just isn't enough time in my opinion.

If you do ever make it up Kununurra in May, i would recommend going to the Ord valley Muster, it goes over ten days and finishes off with the Kimberley Moon concert, i remember watch Paul Kelly, Kasey Chambers and Joe Camilleri

http://www.ordvalleymuster.com.au/

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »
http://kimberleyaustraliaguide.com/kimberley/climate-the-best-time-to-visit/

April

April usually marks the end of the wet season in the Kimberley and the start of the dry. The temperatures are starting to cool down and the rain is easing up.

There is still a lot of water around and it will take several months for the land and rivers to begin drying up.
The highways and some tracks should be open, but this depends on what the weather has been like.
Sometimes it can still be raining heavily in April, making it difficult or impossible to explore the Kimberley’s attractions.

Visiting in April can be a bit of a gamble!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 01:23:26 PM »
Just do 1 end

Week 1
Fri, Sat, Sun drive to Brooome
Mon, Tue Broome
Wed Thurs, Fri Broome to Kununurra (do a day trip to bungles and a morning flight
Sat Stocck Up Kunnanurra
Sun Go to Elquestro

Week 2
Mon to Fri explore El questrom home Valley yes it is not much of the Gibb but it will give you a taste
Fri to Sun drive the Gibb check out a few things along the main route (dont go up to the falls as You wont have time)

Week 3
Mon Arrive Derby
Tues Back in Broome for Overnighter
Wed - Sun drive home

As i said above it is just a taster so see what you would like next time and sticking to the main routes should keep you out of trouble with the wet

I always say have a go mate better than sitting at home for 3 weeks just travel pretty light so you can hold some decent average speeds on the hwy driving days

I Drink & I Know Things

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »
Easily fill 3 weeks doing the Murchison, Gascoyne and Pilbara. Theres plenty of spectacular places to see on the way up. Get off the main roads and its is a great trip.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 02:21:22 PM »
The Kimberly is about 180000000 years Old  ,

And You'd know !!!!!!!!
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline Andosan

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 03:04:35 PM »
I took three weeks to do the Gibb River Rd from Tom Price, and that was just the main road itself, no detours, and no more than 2 nights in any spot (except a couple extra in Broome and Kununurra.  Add an extra two days either way from Perth, and you are close to four weeks.

If you've already done the coast around Coral Bay and Exmouth then consider going inland - from Perth you can do a really nice three week trip to the Pilbara without rushing and seeing lots of good stuff.  Millstream National Park, Karijini NP, Tom Price, Newman, Marble Bar plus I hear that Kennedy Range and Mt Augustus are well worth visiting.

You can always break up the trip with a few days at the coast of course!

That time of year is good in the Pilbara, not too hot, plus many of the water holes will still have water in them from the summer but it doesn't get the monsoonal rains and flooding like the Kimberley.
Camprite TX6 MkII
Landcruiser 200 GXL

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 07:32:45 PM »
And You'd know !!!!!!!!
Been there Done that  , & worn out the Tee shirts not to mention the Stubby Coolers   :cheers:

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
I agree with most that 3 weeks will not be enough to do all the Gibb river, but if your keen to go back on another trip in a few years time then just choose a handfull of places to go and do those - dont be afraid to skip some sights. We done the Gibb quite a few years ago and had to drop Mitchell falls from the visit list at the time. No worries its just a good excuse to go back - and theres a few places we'd like to revisit as well so win win ;D

Offline Ger08

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 12:05:47 AM »
I agree with most that 3 weeks will not be enough to do all the Gibb river, but if your keen to go back on another trip in a few years time then just choose a handfull of places to go and do those - dont be afraid to skip some sights. We done the Gibb quite a few years ago and had to drop Mitchell falls from the visit list at the time. No worries its just a good excuse to go back - and theres a few places we'd like to revisit as well so win win ;D
I think this is pretty much the plan now - to skip a few sights and see only see as much as we can easily fit in. It would be great if we had even an extra 2 weeks but it’s just not possible and we may not ever get even this limited opportunity again.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted it has all been appreciated

Offline Diver

• Tent User
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 08:24:05 AM »
Ger08   My son and family did this in 2016 in september (45c heat).  took them 4 weeks but that included 2 nights in Broome and 4 in kunnanurra getting prado fixed.  Drop Broome and Kununarra as Broome can be done anytime.  Spend 2 in kunnunurra and just 2 at el questro.   It will give you a taste in 3 weeks.  Pull a sicky for a couple of extra days ;D