Author Topic: Transport compliance - Inskip Pint  (Read 17796 times)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Transport compliance - Inskip Pint
« on: December 01, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »
I have just seen on another site the police and Dept of Transport have a checking station and mobile weighbridge set up again at Inskip Point checking all traffic heading to the island. No doubt they will have a few customers.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Transport compliance - Inskip Pint
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
Is it an education exercise??

If not what do they do if your overweight??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
I assume this is them set up

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »
Is it an education exercise??

If not what do they do if your overweight??
give you a nice fine and the number of a tow truck company
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
give you a nice fine and the number of a tow truck company

Start of school holiday.......every second 4WD will probably be over. I think they will need a couple of B Double Car Carriers

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »
Quote from: weeds
Start of school holiday.......every second 4WD will probably be over. I think they will need a couple of B Double Car Carriers
watchin the cop/rbt shows on tele they have had a few over limits who haven't been allowed to move until they remove some weight...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Charlie Brown

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
Excellent.  Transport will be checking weights and defects I presume.  Cops will be doing licences and RBT.  Might stop some of the dicks who are too stupid to do the right thing.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 08:44:16 PM »
Excellent.  Transport will be checking weights and defects I presume.  Cops will be doing licences and RBT.  Might stop some of the dicks who are too stupid to do the right thing.

Yep, many of the wankers will know they are overweight but they dont care.  Hopefully a decent fine and transport cost might wake the tools up..
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
Transport compliance - Inskip Pint
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:36:46 PM »
Yep, many of the wankers will know they are overweight but they dont care.  Hopefully a decent fine and transport cost might wake the tools up..

I think you’ll fine everyday mums and dads will be over and either don’t realize or don’t want to know.......

bugger all people put their rig over a weigh bridge.

The last big family trip (couple of years ago) I did in hi-lux we were overweight on GVM and rear axle. Three teenage kids, camper, touring for a couple of weeks. 300kg over without really trying. Suppose I could have returned home and offloaded some weight....

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:39:34 PM by weeds »

Online Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 09:48:27 PM »
I think you’ll fine everyday mums and dads will be over and either don’t realize or were told total bullShit by the camper trailer manufacturer
fixed
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 09:49:43 PM »
Three teenage kids, camper, touring for a couple of weeks. 300kg over without really trying. Suppose I could have returned home and offloaded some weight....

Problem is that if you went home and unloaded some weight, you will end up in trouble again as I'm sure leaving 3 kids alone while you went on holiday is an offence😃

Offline bdrjnr

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 05:39:34 AM »
This is interesting to see...
I was getting a e check (pink slip) in NSW this week. And i always ask what are the latest bulletins from rms? Or what are they trying to push through.

The guy mentioned one thing that kind of goes along with this.  Now this was for nsw. And this doesnt seem right.. so i may have misunderstood. Or he may have miss understood.

They are starting to crack down on total weights. So my licence has 4.5 tonne gvm. In short how he described it was that if i had a 3 tonne 4wd and a 2 tonne caravan i will have a total of 5 tonne therefore according to licene it will be illeagal.

I understand all the thousands and thousands that will be affected.....

He mentioned there will be a special online test for people to upgrade licence.  So not a truck licwnce as such but a "towing licence" he dodnt know the weigbts but for example a total weight of 6 tonne.

I spoke  to a couple of other ppl i know and they said that couldnt be right.

Not sure if any of you have heard anything like this.. or if i have misunderstood..  please let me know.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 05:52:01 AM »
I think you’ve misheard him. In qld the magic number is 4495 kg for gvm before a rego and license upgrade is required. That doesn’t include your 3500 kg plus trailer. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few imported and modified rigs get up there but it wouldn’t be common for most of us. We have a derated canter at work towing a full size bobcat which flaunts the grey areas. If towing the trailer it needs to have the tipper empty. It is on car rego and only needs a car license. Personally I think you should have extra training to use a rig like that on the road, it can be a handful and the truck handles and tows better with a tonne in the tray which makes it illegal. We drag the bobcat around with the ranger which does it much easier than the truck but I have no doubt would be mermaid bait.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:01:42 AM by GBC »

Offline bdrjnr

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 06:01:17 AM »
I think you’ve misheard him. In qld the magic number is 4495 kg for gvm before a rego and license upgrade is required. That doesn’t include your 3500 kg plus trailer. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few imported and modified rigs get up there but it wouldn’t be common for most of us.
Thanks GBC. I asked him 3 times to makes sure.. and he was pretty confident. 

But i probably misheard him.. trying to make sure he passed my motorbike.

Ha ha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
He's very wrong.
A car lic is a weight no greater then 4.49t.(corrected i push t wrong digit)
You can tow 3.5 on a standard lic... but there are a few exception, the max on paper is a combo of 9t yes 9t.
Example A f250 rated at 4.5t and  RATED to tow 4.5 (most likely a 5th wheeler setup) total of 9t. All on a standard lic... Tassie did change that law to something more realistic.
Alot of the standards for towing are actually set by yr vehiclee limitations. Reason bring 3.5t seems to be the "standard" max.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 07:02:51 PM by callmejoe »
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 05:44:32 PM »
Car licence is not exceeding 4.5t. GVM
So you can drive at 4.5.although a lot of people mistakenly believe that it has to be under   Also why quite a few hire truck are 4495kg

And it been a while since I read the regs for Vic relating to licences, but I think you are allowed to tow a full 9t trailer! And not a max GCM of 9t. Not that I can think of a vehicle combination that would be that big.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 06:27:25 PM »
Car licence is not exceeding 4.5t. GVM
So you can drive at 4.5.although a lot of people mistakenly believe that it has to be under   Also why quite a few hire truck are 4495kg

And it been a while since I read the regs for Vic relating to licences, but I think you are allowed to tow a full 9t trailer! And not a max GCM of 9t. Not that I can think of a vehicle combination that would be that big.
As per a few hire trucks, I drive a small pantech with a 4.4t  TARE weight, and although I have a MR license, it can be driven with a normal license, BUT,  if I had a normal license, I could only carry 100kgs !!!
But there are a lot doing it because they are confused about tare and GVM. Same as restricted roads for trucks.......some say 3T, some say 5T tare and some say 5T GVM and others just show a truck with a slash thru it.....
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: Shine

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 06:02:26 AM »
Not in Qld. Car license is limited to 4.5 gvm. Tare has nothing to do with it. Hence why we derated the truck. Same with 6wd conversions on land cruisers, once they go past 4495 kg gvm you need a LR licence to drive one regardless of what is on the back.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 06:20:43 AM »
Not in Qld. Car license is limited to 4.5 gvm. Tare has nothing to do with it. Hence why we derated the truck. Same with 6wd conversions on land cruisers, once they go past 4495 kg gvm you need a LR licence to drive one regardless of what is on the back.

Yeh, that's what I said, a lot are saying because the tare is under 4.5t, you only need a car license, but an extra ?? amount puts you over the 4.5t and makes it illegal.
But even if the tare is say 3.5t, it may be hard to know exactly what your load weighs, and your load is going to change all the time (talking a work truck ), so a lot of small trucks could be over the 4.5t GVM without the driver realising.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:25:38 AM by gronk »
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 06:32:11 AM »
I thought it was based on the truck gvm. If it registered as 4495t then a car license is ok. If you have a truck license it still doesn't allow you to carry more.
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 07:36:16 AM »
I thought it was based on the truck gvm. If it registered as 4495t then a car license is ok. If you have a truck license it still doesn't allow you to carry more.

You are correct.
People are mixing Gross weight with the Tare weight.
On average a truck with a GVM (Gross) would only have a TARE  weight 2.5t to 3.t. This gives you anything from 2t to 1.5t payload...
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »
Were they doing RBT's at Inskip Pint? :cheers: ;D
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 01:59:35 PM »
What about trailers?

If a small sedan was towing an empty tandem car trailer rated to 2T (tare weight 600kg) but small car tow rating was 1T, can the small car tow the empty trailer? Or does the tow car need to be able to legally tow 2T?
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »
Ah. Towing capacities.  Need to sit for this
If a cars tow limit is 1 t then it can tow 1 t as long as it doesn't exceed its gcm. It can't tow 2t under any circumstances
The car doesn't need to be rated for 2t to tow a trailer that weighs 1t
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:37:51 PM by gordo350 »
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 03:42:37 PM »
Agree. Yes the little car can tow the big empty trailer. I have a mate who tows an mdc xt12 with a hilux who pays close attention to how much he loads it. He is 1650 tow rated on the lux and the xt12 is under that - lightly loaded - but towed by a different vehicle it can go to 3000 kg GTM.