Author Topic: Qld v Vic Caravan Rego Help Needed  (Read 7070 times)

Offline Boxbuilder

• Learning the Ropes
Qld v Vic Caravan Rego Help Needed
« on: November 29, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »
 Hi to all
I live in Victoria and will be purchasing a New Qld built caravan that we will take delivery of in mid 2018. We have planned to travel to Qld to take delivery, then for month or so we want to travel around Qld so we are close to the van manufacturer so any issues that may arise can be ironed out prior to bringing the van back to Vic and register in our home state of Vic.
Seems that we have only 2 options,

1-Temp permit 1>7 days (We will not be able to comply due to time limits) (Cost approx $200>$300 + depending on Qld road insurance)

2-Register in Qld for 3/6 months? (We can not do this as we have no valid Qld address or proof of residency in Qld)

-The above also affects our insurance as the insurer will not cover unless we supply a current valid state registration?

-I know rules are rules but is there any other options to comply to Vic & Qld local laws.
(Surely we don't have to drive to Vic so Vic Roads can view the compliance numbers register the van then we drive back to Qld to start our trip?)
-I did ask Vic Roads if they would accept a formal document from either or all "JP, Qld Roads, Qld police offer stating that the compliance numbers are in fact the correct numbers" Reply from Vic Roads "We have NO agreement with Qld Roads to do this"
-The other issue is that the Gas Compliance certificate will be issued from manufacturer in Qld and as each state does not recognize their qualification's so we will need to pay for a Vic Gas Compliance inspection prior to Vic registration.
-The pleasure of trying to comply and do the correct thing while living in Australia with state / territory laws that make me feel like I live in 7 separate countries (Next we will have to have visas to cross the border/s)
Any help would be good
Thanks  : :'( >:(

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Qld v Vic Caravan Rego Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 10:15:16 AM »
Just have the manufacturer register it for you in QLD using their address but under your name
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »
Quote from: Boxbuilder
Surely we don't have to drive to Vic so Vic Roads can view the compliance numbers register the van then we drive back to Qld to start our trip?

When I rego'ed my trailer made in Qld down here in Vic that I had trucked down here VicRoads wouldn't do anything without inspecting it that was 2009. Even though this was a brand new trailer

I had to book it in with the VIN # etc etc - which was going to be in 2 mths time and we were going away in 3 weeks so panic set in. Managed to find a rural VicRoads with a vacancy booked that. Then eventually got one locally on a cancellation locally.

Took it to Vicroads to have it "inspected" which consisted of walking out, asking WTF it was as she had never seen one, the inspection consisted of measuring the complete length of it.

Back inside showed weighbridge ticket, and paperwork. The paperwork took longer than the inspection of the trailer.

FWIW, I'd get it trucked down to Melb, then rego it and then go on your holiday. Then again I'd not buy new again and wouldn't buy from a company that wasn't local to me.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:02:29 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Boxbuilder

Offline Boxbuilder

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »
Thanks so far for the help,
-Can not use the manufacturer as home address as Qld Roads need personal ID license with same address as item to be registered.
-If I truck it down then the handover both defect/s inspection & operating demonstration can not be completed.
-If some body made same van in Vic then the Vic option would be good. (We spent 2 years searching)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
-If I truck it down then the handover both defect/s inspection & operating demonstration can not be completed.

I never had hand over, and you can use it on your way to Qld for your trip and drop in to them with a list you have compiled on the way there to fix.. Good luck.

-If some body made same van in Vic then the Vic option would be good. (We spent 2 years searching)

There are plenty of options out there and some amazing used ones WELL worth investigating.

Also have you looked at Regional Campers in Albury? Nick is on here a,though hasn't been around much due to very sick daughter.
https://www.facebook.com/regionalcampers/
example
This thread is a few mths old now but gives you an idea. And Nick is only too happy to work with you on your ideas.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=45870.msg842774#msg842774
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
Got any friends or family that can register it for you in their name to start with in QLD, or even NSW as the Tweed Heads RMS is probably only bit over an hour down the road from Brisbane. NSW to VIC registration might open a few possibilities that QLD to VIC doesn't so might be worth looking into that too.

Offline Boxbuilder

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »
Hi Again
-No relatives or friends in Qld (Otherwise I would do that)
-Rego 1 Year    NSW  $739    Qld $220     Vic $52   (Can not imagine how the states are so unmatched in price?)

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
I think your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

What’s the delivery fee to Vic??

Your only options are pick it up, drive down to Vic, register than drove back or

Get it trucked down, register thank drive back up.

If you do d use somebody in Queensland the van would have to be sold on their name as you need proof of ownership than they would also have to insure it.....than the hassle of changing it back to your name.

It’s a shame the dealer cannot register in Vic......new car normally don’t need an inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The following users thanked this post: Boxbuilder

Online prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »
Hi Again
-No relatives or friends in Qld (Otherwise I would do that)
-Rego 1 Year    NSW  $739    Qld $220     Vic $52   (Can not imagine how the states are so unmatched in price?)

Usually we get stiffed but It's only $80 in SA and no stamp duty on transfer which surprised me when I bought the Jayco last. Do other States charge SD on transfers for caras and trailers?
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:48:12 PM »
Pay for the Vic inspection guy to fly up and have a look at it? find a national gas mob that can have their QLD guy look at it on behalf of their Vic guy, I think you are going to have to get creative or pay for some trucking costs.

If it's important, you could just grab a cheap flight up for the day to do it.

Hi to all
I live in Victoria and will be purchasing a New Qld built caravan that we will take delivery of in mid 2018. We have planned to travel to Qld to take delivery, then for month or so we want to travel around Qld so we are close to the van manufacturer so any issues that may arise can be ironed out prior to bringing the van back to Vic

How likely do you think there are going to be warranty issues? it seems like a lot of effort to be close on the off chance that there are warranty issues.

Online prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 10:08:54 PM »
-Can not use the manufacturer as home address as Qld Roads need personal ID license with same address as item to be registered.
In that regard plenty of new vehicle Dealers register cars as demos so what about putting the hard word on the supplier regards your needs and obviously you'll be paying him for that and happy to sign a disclaimer you'll be responsible for comp insurance and any traffic violations before it's regd in Vic. I've certainly done the latter with an interstate Jayco and fourby by agreement with the vendors and my broker had no trouble insuring them in my name with interstate rego numbers for the time being although you notify the change when it occurs.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 10:37:42 PM »
Do you have a mate with a caravan in Vic? Just borrow their licence plate, chuck it on your new van then get it registered in Vic when you're back. Not legal in any way but I'm sure plenty do it...

;D
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Online prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 08:56:46 AM »
Good one nab. Nothing like a shakedown trip with yer unfamiliar brand spanker safe in the knowledge yer comp insurance aint worth the paper it's printed on without legit rego  8)

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 01:53:15 AM »
Good one nab. Nothing like a shakedown trip with yer unfamiliar brand spanker safe in the knowledge yer comp insurance aint worth the paper it's printed on without legit rego  8)

Such a pessimist. Those bad things never happen to good people...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Boxbuilder

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 10:00:48 AM »
Thanks for you comments seems that at this point I have only 2 options,
-Pressure the manufacturer to rego on my behalf and swap to Vic rego when I get home?
-Have it delivered to Vic for rego.

"Tryagain"
-The guy you refer to "fly up and check the plate" is from 'Vic Roads" not a private issuer as only "Vic Roads" can issue plates.
-Not expecting any issues however a mate just took delivery of a Vic made $80k van and is currently fixing issues.
-We were not planning to stay local just for warranty issues my wife and I have not seen Qld in a van so we thought we would combine the 2 as our shake down & holiday all in one prior to Kimberley trip for 4 months 2018.

"nab" Very creative solutions however my insurer & police may have a different opinion!!!!! >:(

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 11:13:17 AM »
Thanks for you comments seems that at this point I have only 2 options,
-Pressure the manufacturer to rego on my behalf and swap to Vic rego when I get home?
-Have it delivered to Vic for rego.\
how can pressuring a company that cant do Vic rego's to rego it in Vic going to work?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline IanS

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »
how can pressuring a company that cant do Vic rego's to rego it in Vic going to work?
I think He's saying that he would like the company to rego it in QLD and then he will transfer to Vic when he gets home.

Online prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 12:58:18 PM »
Such a pessimist. Those bad things never happen to good people...
When you're running about with your ass hanging out of your pants and spending all your weekly on wine women and song and wasting the rest these mere technicalities don't enter into the equation. Alas that fatal attraction comes along to shut all that down and so begins the slow accumulation of assets as racing motorcycles, etc give way to a finer appreciation of décor and soft furnishings, etc, etc until one day the unappreciative resistance to the accumulation of assets have fled the coop and the assets mount up appreciably to the point where behaving like said offspring is no longer an option. Such is life  :angel:

Offline BTMNDR

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »
Box builder, a mate from WA used my Qld address when he purchased a camper from a well known manufacturer in Caloundra. This was some years ago, so I don’t know if rules or requirements have changed but he didn’t have any problems doing so at the time.
Former TOPNDR.

Offline Boxbuilder

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 03:45:15 PM »
Hi All :cheers: :cheers:
Seems that,
-Qld Can Register the van if I use a Qld address (A friend) as long as my friend fills in a form that states the van will be housed at this address.
-That means the van will be in my name for rego / insurance purposes then when I return to Vic I can swap to Vic Rego.
-I must obtain Vic Electrical & Gas certification as the Qld certification is no good in Vic (And vise versa) (Another $300>$400 outlay)

Very messy way to have people comply with the law of at it seems each state feels like a separate country with its versions of laws / costs  & compliance different in each state & territory.  ONE SET OF LAWS   ONE SET OF COSTS  Would be GOOD    >:( >:( >:(

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »
Seems that,
-Qld Can Register the van if I use a Qld address (A friend) as long as my friend fills in a form that states the van will be housed at this address.
-That means the van will be in my name for rego / insurance purposes then when I return to Vic I can swap to Vic Rego.
-I must obtain Vic Electrical & Gas certification as the Qld certification is no good in Vic (And vise versa) (Another $300>$400 outlay)

Very messy way to have people comply with the law of at it seems each state feels like a separate country with its versions of laws / costs  & compliance different in each state & territory.  ONE SET OF LAWS   ONE SET OF COSTS  Would be GOOD    >:( >:( >:(

Why not fly up , stay at mates place, buy van and have it registered at your mates address and tell qld rego mob that you left the missus for a new life (she kept your Vic house) , if they query. Tell them the van will be your new home but you will be on the road. Mates address till you get sorted. . Some of the stuff the rego mob get fed would embarrass donald trump!!!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 05:32:30 PM »
Find a really nice swagger in Queensland....

Oh for god sake stop laughing, I'm sure there are on or two!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ( just kidding)

Then when you have found said swagger, ask nicely if you can use their address as yours temporarily.
Go to Queensland, get a change of address on your license, get rego'ed go on trip.
Hope swagger receives all your bills and pays them.....

Then go back to Mexico after your shakedown and transfer rego back to your "new" new address again. ( Turns out you didn't like queensland as VB tastes so much better than XXXX - One more X than poison by the way!!!! Just kidding. Tassie has the only decent tasting beer anyway.) and you are returning home....

Fun  :police: do your work.....
Cheers
Brian

Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 06:03:08 PM »
Slightly off topic I admit, but am I right in assuming that we can Uber deliver takeaway from any takeaway to our door, and pay using our phone, but we can't organise a national registration system?
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 07:38:13 PM »
Seems that,

You sure it will be registered in you name.....if hedge my bets that it would end up in you’re friends name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 07:09:45 AM »
Quote from: briann532
Slightly off topic I admit, but am I right in assuming that we can Uber deliver takeaway from any takeaway to our door, and pay using our phone, but we can't organise a national registration system?

We cant even get the states to agree on nationally approved car modifications - you know ADR's... or 21098023948023948032948 other things, why would rego be any different.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home