Author Topic: Broken down in Port Hedland 120 V6 Petrl lPrado  (Read 2531 times)

Offline sparksy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Broken down in Port Hedland 120 V6 Petrl lPrado
« on: October 25, 2017, 09:43:39 PM »
Engine cranks over but wont start

Coming into port Hedland from Broome and about 15ks out the engine began to loose power and then started to surge and just stopped. Filled up in  Broome and was down to last half of second tank. Up to this was  running well.
while waiting for tow truck tried to start it and it cranks over but wont start.
Got towed into caravan park in Hedland/  after a while tried to start it again after checking for error code with Turque, only came up with a unknown body fault. Well it started but only for a few second then started surging and spluttered to a stop.  Now just cranks over.

Any ideas what it could be   or recommend a good mechanic in port hedland.

Thanks
Wayne

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Broken down in Port Hedland 120 V6 Petrl lPrado
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:33:17 PM »
Not familiar with prado  ..
Could it be the gauge has failed / stuck  showing half full but the tank  is empty ? also read there is discrepancies of up to 30 ltrs being left in sub tank when showing empty on the gauge ?
These might give you a bit of an idea to try  also    .Check the fuse box and relays for the fuel pumps and ignition ..  Have you checked for spark  [ CAREFULLY AS ITS ELECTRONIC AND COULD KILL YOU ] if touched when testing    ...   fuel  for water contamination [ drain into a clear bottle and allow to settle to see  ] / Fuel filter clogged / collapsed    ....   open the fuel cap to check for vacuum lock [ try to run engine with out cap on ]  IE tank not breathing .vent lines collapsed charcoal canister  blocked ...will get a big suck back of air rushing into tank when removing fuel cap .
can you hear the fuel pumps running in the main tank when the key is turned on, could be one in the tank + plus an external one ..
 Fuel lines cracked allow to suck air or squashed from rock impact ..  ... O2 sensor plug / wires [ our 4 runner V6 the wires shorted inside the plug had melted ] .
From what Ive just had a quick read of, the Sub tank on a 120 transfers fuel to the main tank via an extra  fuel line on the main tanks pump  till its empty and the engine feeds from the main tank pump  .. fuel line cracked / pick up broken sucking air above fuel /  filter clogged in sub tank ?
Hope this may help .
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:07:37 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 07:24:13 AM »
If the fuel pump and filters are ok I would be looking at a possible crank angle sensor.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:49:43 AM »
Get underneath and have someone turn the key to on so all the lights come up but dont start it (you may have to wait a while to do this if you have been cranking the thing for a while so the fuel runs back in the tank and needs repriming)

Listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump priming (it will be a quiet pumping sound like a small water pump)

If that is not working there is a body control module units in the prado that controls that sort of stuff that has been know to fail

If the fuel pump is working you are then either looking at spark clogged fuel filter or a bad batch of fuel with water in it
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »
I'd be heading straight for the crank position sensor. I've had a couple of cars behave in EXACTLY the manner that you've described and both times it was the CPS. Dunno what the Prado is like but both of mine were easy and cheap DYI jobs. The wait for a new CPS is likely to be the hardest part of the whole deal.
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »
Have u made into town yet.
I might know people with tilt trays. Cannot help witg price though
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »
^^^^ OP says he got towed into  Port Headland and is holed up in the caravan park .

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »
Hmm ya get that,  was reading on the run.

Cheers
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:04:04 PM »
Howd you get on Sparksy