Author Topic: Which tyre?  (Read 16143 times)

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
Re: Which tyre?
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 10:06:59 PM »
Bruce, was that just for the tyres?
Or will they fit them as well?
Because It's going to cost money at another tyre fitters, if that's just for the tyres.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline bruce93

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 03:55:14 AM »
Bruce, was that just for the tyres?
Or will they fit them as well?
Because It's going to cost money at another tyre fitters, if that's just for the tyres.
No thats complete price.

So includes fitment of tyres. Old tyre disposal. They fill the tyres with Nitrogen.
Also offer free wheel rotations and balances every 10K klms. And lastly they offer free puncture repairs for the lifetime of the tyres...

So not too bad of a deal in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Offline Paddy16

• Swag User
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 06:00:27 AM »
That conclusion came completely from following random threads in a few 4x4/camping forums over the last 10 of years. It's all comparative though, compared to a HT they are tough as nails, compared to the BFG AT they are not as strong in the sidewall. Someone's offroad is different to another's offroad too.

They are on par with many other similarly priced tyres.
The reason I bought BFG after lots of research was about the stronger sidewalls. Granted I bought muddies which don’t chip but been very happy.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 09:41:58 AM »
Quote from: bruce93
No thats complete price.

So includes fitment of tyres. Old tyre disposal. They fill the tyres with Nitrogen.
Also offer free wheel rotations and balances every 10K klms. And lastly they offer free puncture repairs for the lifetime of the tyres...

So not too bad of a deal in my opinion.
wonder if they are Aussie stock and ADR approved or American DOT tyres. Wonder what the difference is.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 10:16:45 AM »
Bruce93 Do Costco Let you buy them without paying the joining fee (buyers club) scheme they run?
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »
Currently in Darwin so decided to get new tyres. Wanting the bridgestone but out of stock so went with the BF Goodrich. 265/75/16.

Cost $292 per tyre

Sell the old bridgestones back in the community for $200 each. ($800)

New tyres end up costing $92 each

The bridgestones are 2 years old and some have chunks of tread missing due to the roads up here. Bridgestones originally cost me $230 each.

Happy dance  ;D

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline moseyroc

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »
We had a set of Bridgestone MTs fitted 2015, great price, they were good on & offroad, but they wore out a hell of a lot quicker than previous BFG MT's did. False economy in my books. We switched back to BFG. Bear in mind they were MTs
80 series TD & 2002 Cub Drover

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »
Bruce93 Do Costco Let you buy them without paying the joining fee (buyers club) scheme they run?
To purchase anything at Costco you need to have a member card. Whether their fuel, tyres or anything else.  When I looked I would of still been in front even with the membership cost, (yes there were cheaper tyres available elsewhere but I wanted the d697 and these were the cheapest I could get by a long way) but that was about 2 years ago.  The D697 are going well with plenty of time on sand. The nitrogen fill lasted about a week before I let half of it out to hit the beach.

Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »
How do you rate the monsta’s?

When I was looking for new tyres a while back I came very close to ordering a set but when I called a few places to get quotes for fitting they wouldn’t touch them citing “liability issues”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very happy, i know a few blokes running them in AT and MT and no issues.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2017, 07:51:28 AM »
I'm also in the market for new tyres for the Patrol.  I want tough tyres for the Kimberly trip next year.

Tyresales has KO2s for $291 and D697s for $267.

Any thoughts on these or other options?  I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »
Bob Jane is running a special at the moment.
I got quoted $309 fitted for BFG KO2 AT. 265x17x70's

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2017, 09:45:16 AM »
Thanks Nomad, Bob Jane has advertised D697s for $229 in 70 ratio. I wonder what the price of 265 75 16 is?

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 10:03:44 AM »
I'm also in the market for new tyres for the Patrol.  I want tough tyres for the Kimberly trip next year.

Tyresales has KO2s for $291 and D697s for $267.

Any thoughts on these or other options?  I'm in Melbourne.

Cheers

Had 697s on Ranger in the Kimberley last year. No issues just reduce the pressure and drive to the conditions. Would happily buy them again.

I have Pirelli scorpions on the ex WA Department of Parks Prado I now own.

Conincidentally was helping on a project on Dirk Hartog Island a week ago with the previous driver of my car. He reckons Pirellis are better than Bridgestones and he does a lot of work in remote areas.

But he did stake a Pirelli this trip. Just as he staked a 697 a previous time I was with him at Lorna Glen, east of Wiluna. I may not be invited again.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 10:37:22 AM »
rossm, which Pirellis?  Tyresales has MTR for $231 and ATR for $267

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »
rossm, which Pirellis?  Tyresales has MTR for $231 and ATR for $267

ATR.

Offline Andy_Q

• Tent User
Which tyre?
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 10:55:53 PM »
Tempe tyres have Scorpion ATR for $209 fitted or delivered if your not in Sydney. Kmart are about to fit mine for $205 per tyre price match. LT265/70R17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2017, 02:45:06 AM »
thanks  :cup:
The following users thanked this post: Tombliboo

Offline BobT

• Tent User
    • bobtrlin
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »
D697's all the way!  Tough as nails.  Not too noisy.  Despite being made in Indonesia, they are speced for Australian conditions unlike others imports.  By Australian conditions, I mean driving all day in 40° heat over sharp stones.
BobT

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2017, 07:38:29 PM »
Hey Mate.

I got quoted $215 a tyre for 265/65/17.

That was from costco which i dont think you'll have in the pilbara but i could be wrong...

Besides that closest i've seen them are around $235..

Definatly no costco in the Pilbara, in fact I dont even know what costco is ;D

I recently got some Toyo Open County A/T's locally here 265/65/17- $335 each. BFG same size $380. I looked at tyre sales and the tyres there are significatly cheaper, but here in Tom Price I would need to pay the local tyre company to fit them, which worked out in the end to be only $30 - $40 cheaper total. For that I choose to support the local business's and just get them locally.

Offline BrisVegasGolfer

• Tent User
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
60,000km so far on this set of D697LT's.  They're probably half-worn, but I rotate them every 10,000km (free because I bought them at Bridgestone).   We've done Lawn Hill, Tanami track, Mt Dare, Simpson, Birdsville twice, corner country, Strez etc on them.  I drop them to about 28psi on the gravel which seems to work well.  Probably 15k of dirt/sand and 45k of bitumen so far.  No chipping at all.

Next year I plan to buy a set of Mickey Thompson MTZ's on steelies which I will use for a Cape trip and subsequent bush trips.  I'll keep the Bridgestones for commuting to work and they should easily get to 100k.  I had the 694LT on my previous vehicle and they still had reasonable tread at 90k, but were starting to feel a bit "hard"
2015 Isuzu MU-X

Offline Ryanlevismith

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2017, 07:01:20 AM »
Hi mate, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post so I hope I can be of help.
I did a lot of research months ago for myself and baught a set of the Goodyear wrangler mtr with Kevlar. They have been a fantastic tyre. I have mainly done road use thus far and I have not experienced the usual negatives of the mud terrain. However if your looking for a more all terrain tyre my brother has a set of Nitto trail grapplers on his 200 series and they are unreal. Really quite and grippy for road use. Fantastic on sand and capable in soft slippery dirt. But are exceptional in dry dirt. Will be my next tyre if I go all terrain. They look pretty cool to.

Offline Biesel

• Tent User
    • rlhydn_overland
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »
Nittos can be a bit of a pain to get in Australia. I was having a good yarn to the Toyo rep about this at the Sydney 4WD show. He was saying they are trying to get permission to officially import Nitto to Australia but Toyo mainly designed the Nitto brand and tyres aimed at the US market. All Nittos in Australia or grey or parallel imports thus could or can be old, so just be aware. Sometimes supply can also be an issue.

Offline Biesel

• Tent User
    • rlhydn_overland
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »
We just recently switched from GY Duratac 285/75r16's to Toyo MT 255/85r16's as everyone is now raving about how great a skinny 33 is. There are some initial finds on our blog about this so I would go into too much detail. Thus far though I'd say the military and mining industry have it right. a skinny > a fat tyre.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2017, 12:07:19 PM »
We run the BF Goodrich KM2's on both our cars. And if I'm honest the Jimny gets far more time driving around town than it does off-road - no significant road noise I wouldn't have anyway, even on the highways. Great mud tyres. I know a few people here have said they've had issues with them, but we've given ours a flogging on some outback roads in the Patrol and they haven't let us down! Its really the only tyre I can speak to based on experience but after running them for a while I have no reason to change. Yeah, they aren't cheap, but they have been faithful tyres for us.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline bruce93

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
Hey guys.

I decided on the D697's.

So far have been very happy with their performance.

Will update this thread as time goes o.

Bruce