Author Topic: Guy ropes and poles  (Read 5672 times)

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Guy ropes and poles
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »
A while back someone posted here about roping to the pole to stop the ropes coming of the pins, a bit like this pic. Anyone here do it? Is it a sliding bow-yang or a cleated knuckle slip knot or some other weird name!

13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
Re: Guy ropes and poles
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:42:16 AM »
I always tie a half hitch around the pole , just below the annex canvas with the rope loop over the pole pin .

Has never failed
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »
How would the ropes be able to lift off  the pins with the ropes being under tension and pulling down ?  Never heard of it happening  unless the peg has pulled out of the ground or the pole has slipped and allowed the rope to slacken ..
Be interested to hear about this one too .
This may help http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=45670.msg773304#msg773304
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:57:34 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
Wouldn't do it any other way.

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »

Thats the one, it is a half hitch?
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »
also stops the canvas on the front of ours flapping as its tied to the pole
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:52:19 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:54:42 PM »
I do it EVERY time.
It doesn't just hold down the pole it hangs onto the pole..
Been camping when huge winds have come throu. Awning poles went everywhere,  bar ours...

Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »
Having never seen anyone  ever use guy ropes in this fashion, can the ones that do use this style  explain benefits  of doing it like this please ..
Not being a smart arse just never seen it before and interested as to why its done . TIA .
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:58:06 PM by edz »

Offline Paddy16

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »
I used to do that and now I use these pegs, no worries

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »
I used to do that and now I use these pegs, no worries

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »

yea paper clips wouldnt hold my Shit down
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 06:28:11 PM »
They are a spring steel peg and allow a bit of give when wind hits the tent / tarp or what ever your tying down by the looks of them .. eliminates using springs or in my case Rubber O- rings ..
Google found them for me,   used in African  countries . reckon you would need hard ground though ..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:30:49 PM by edz »

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 06:36:11 PM »
Wouldn't be any good as a sand peg.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 06:43:14 PM »
Have seen it done but don't bother myself...never had an issue just slipping the rope over the top pin and pulling the rope tight. Decent pegs are the main key to trouble free tie down in my view.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 08:32:18 PM »
I always tie a half hitch around the pole , just below the annex canvas with the rope loop over the pole pin .

Has never failed

Yep. Same here.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »
Having never seen anyone  ever use guy ropes in this fashion, can the ones that do use this style  explain benefits  of doing it like this please ..
Not being a smart arse just never seen it before and interested as to why its done . TIA .

I started doing it this way when my annex started flapping around after 100km per hour plus winds lifted the canvas up and popped the loops of the pole pin . Yes we do go camping during cyclone season up here in the north .

A big annex and a fairly heavy wind puts the canvas up like a big bloody balloon , heaps of stress on the rope and spring , by tying a half hitch there is no room for the canvas to start lifting at the poles .

" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 10:06:21 PM »
Thanks for that Duggie.. Just curious was all..
As far back as I can remember in our travelling as a kid 50 odd years ago,  Dad had always used car tire inner  tube cut into 3 or 4 inch wide strips and doubled over on all our caravan annexe / tarp ropes that  hooked over decent 1/2" extra long steel pegs ..
He always said  depending on the type of spring some stretched and slackened everything or the other types of Springs pulled up solid and either broke ropes or pulled pegs out or caused damage  in heavy winds ... which we saw happen time and time again to others .. but the rubber kept on giving without breakage.
We went through a cyclone and some wild storms in it too over the years without damage.
I'll stick with my rubber O- Rings .. 
 Ta ..

Offline Paddy16

• Swag User
Guy ropes and poles
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 06:19:55 AM »
Borrowed from a camping site:

THE ANATOMY OF AN ANGLED / DOG-LEG PEG.

Hi all..

I thought it interesting to discuss what I know about the common-or-garden angled tent peg..

I posted this at the other camping place, and got some good feedback, I think it’s of value to share here at this campfire as well...
You be the judge & let me know....

At one stage in my not-too-illustrious career, I worked in the spring industry, and the company actually made tent pegs, so I kinda pinned me ears back, rolled up my sleeves, took out my notebook and learnt a wee bit

See, there is actually quite a lot going on behind this seemingly Incongruous piece of equipment that we all just hit into the ground without a second thought....

But without getting into the  technicalities (which you can google if you want), just believe me with the following,
Just accept.......... Shock force is greater than a steady pulling force by something like a factor of 4 and waaaay more destructive...

From the sketch above, there are three main components to the peg... The leaver, the spring and the anchor.

THE SPRING
Why have a spring? Well the spring converts most of the damaging shock force, created by buffeting winds on the canvas, into a constant pulling force and reduces the effect of the force on the peg.

WHAT IS THIS EFFECT?
The result of shock force is that the peg compacts the ground in front of the wire, thereby increasing the hole, and the peg becomes loose and comes out of it's hole... OR... It simply yanks the peg out the ground. (When this happens, there may also be another factor, IE the length of the anchor portion is too short for the force).

So the spring is a very important mechanical component of an angled peg

Now it's quite possible that the spring can be stretched beyond it's limit of elasticity. When this happens the spring effect is of no value as it will just continue to stretch open and in-effect what you have is a solid peg...
But never fear, springs can be easily rehabilitated by pre-heating an oven to 240 deg, then putting the pegs into the oven for 1/2H then allowing them to cool off in the air...

Don't quench them. Also once the oven indicates 240, let it first go for a while... The historesis of an ovens thermostat is horrific and you need that to settle down first. The temperature is quite important in this process...

THE LEAVER
For a given wire diameter, the longer the leaver section, the softer the spring, So it stands to reason that a thicker wire, with a longer leaver will have the same effect as a thinner wire with a shorter leaver.. (Remeber this when purchasing a peg).

THE ANCHOR
First up, the shape of the peg has the outcome of transferring all the force to the point of the anchor point, which would be the deepest place in the ground... Quite nifty..

The length of the anchor portion is what matters... The longer it is the stronger the peg, but it won't help trying to hit a long thin peg in as it would just bend, so the longer it is the thicker the wire needs to be... So that's what determines the wire thickness... For all intense and purposes there are 2 factors related to the wire thickness... (1) The strength for hitting it into the ground and (2) the stiffness of the spring effect (thicker wire stiffer / thinner wire softer)

HITTING THE PEG INTO THE GROUND

This is KEY.....

Angled too much up and you lose the effect of the spring, progressively more and more until the leaver portion is at the same angle as the rope and you have a solid peg

Angled too much down and the front of the leaver comes into contact with the ground, forcing the spring portion open, which if exacerbated will actually pull the anchor portion out of the ground, and the peg is in-effective.... Play around with this ....

That's why, with the better quality pegs the hook of the peg is bent a bit upwards so that when the leaver portion is in contact with the ground it does not add to this effect.....

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 06:22:42 AM by Paddy16 »

Offline Paddy16

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 06:23:54 AM »

Offline Paddy16

• Swag User
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 06:55:24 AM »

Let me know if it made sense. The local equivalent looks like this

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »
Quote from: doggie
Yes we do go camping during cyclone season up here in the north .

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GUEY

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »
Curious on this rope setup also, as until a recent trip up the coast I had never seen it done before. I'm a straight over the pin type of person and never had a drama.

Something I did notice with the group that was using the ropes like this, if the wind was strong enough, it would actually lift the poles due to them being tied.  This then caused the poles to shift, and eventually it would collapse anyway.

There was another camper a couple of sites down that were  straight over the pin, and theirs was collapsing on a pretty regular basis. But, after seeing them in action and how they went about things in general, they would have been doomed even staying in a 5 star resort .
Was some of the funniest and most awkward camping I have ever see  ;D
2016 Colorado Trailblazer
2010 Swan Outback

BigDog816

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »
I started doing it this way when my annex started flapping around after 100km per hour plus winds lifted the canvas up and popped the loops of the pole pin . Yes we do go camping during cyclone season up here in the north .

A big annex and a fairly heavy wind puts the canvas up like a big bloody balloon , heaps of stress on the rope and spring , by tying a half hitch there is no room for the canvas to start lifting at the poles .

What he said. 

We got hit by a storm once and the wind came in under the awning and there was enough give in the spring in the peg to lift the pole a little, then came down on the angle, rope popped off the pole then the annex was up in the air.  Mate who was helping me showed the half hitch on the pole and then it was solid as, just had to look out for the hail and the tree branches after that.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 12:33:54 PM »
so, in this example, the blue-taped end would be your loop that goes over the tent pole?

http://www.animatedknots.com/halfhitch/

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 05:57:57 AM »
They way I do it is simpler than that.
The rope comes up to the pole and is wrapped around the pole once and goes under itself and then straight up.

Bit like the red rope in the top part of this pick. The blue is the pole.  (ignoring it going under the blue loop at the bottom)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:00:06 AM by #jonesy »
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux.