Author Topic: Tow hitch on bullbar  (Read 7197 times)

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Tow hitch on bullbar
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 08:40:25 AM »
This explains it pretty well.  Otherwise heaps of other explanations on Google.

With a centre diff, you DON'T get wind up  ;D

http://www.outbackcrossing.com.au/FourWheelDrive/Transmission_Wind-Up.shtml

KB
With a centre diff comes cdl, therefore you do/can get wind up. (I don't really have much experience with non constant 4wd vehicles so i know all about cdl wind up).
Now if he is losing traction, won't engaging 4wd stop this to back his trailer up a hill? And tyre slippage will eliminate wind up? Whats the point of having 4wd if you can't use it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KingBilly

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 09:41:47 AM »
If your not doing and sharp turns on the concrete backing the trailer then just use low range the whole way (or engage it just before the grass if it concerns you). It won't hurt it and when it gets to the grass it will undo any wind up anyway. If you drive in a straight line, you can use low range for 242384762738km...

Don't think so but give it a go and let us all know  ;D

AFAIK windup is through a cumulative effect on the driveline when it has no chance of releasing the build up of energy through wheel slip.  That build up of energy does not happen only because of lock to lock turns but builds up through every small difference in the rotation of wheels between the axles.  If you drive "242384762738km", or even only a few kms, your wheels are constantly moving at different speeds due to road undulations and steering corrections.

KB

KingBilly

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
With a centre diff comes cdl, therefore you do/can get wind up. (I don't really have much experience with non constant 4wd vehicles so i know all about cdl wind up).
Now if he is losing traction, won't engaging 4wd stop this to back his trailer up a hill? And tyre slippage will eliminate wind up? Whats the point of having 4wd if you can't use it?

Seriously, I know some centre diffs can be locked and I know that if you lock your centre diff then you can get wind up.  Geeez.

KB

Offline IanS

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »

X2

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 11:08:51 PM »
Don't think so but give it a go and let us all know  ;D

AFAIK windup is through a cumulative effect on the driveline when it has no chance of releasing the build up of energy through wheel slip.  That build up of energy does not happen only because of lock to lock turns but builds up through every small difference in the rotation of wheels between the axles.  If you drive "242384762738km", or even only a few kms, your wheels are constantly moving at different speeds due to road undulations and steering corrections.

KB

I agree (maybe not 242384762738km haha) but in my experience the short distance backing a trailer has negligible effect on the 4x4. I have done it with all my 4x4s with no issues to date. Occasionally a wheel would skip/hop (the wind up releasing) but only when turning more than approx half a steering wheel turn.

Or maybe my concrete is more slippery than yours haha!
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2017, 06:58:27 AM »
I back my van up the drive in low range sometimes. On concrete, no freewheel hubs. I just make sure it is pretty straight before I drop into low and don't turn the wheel much. It's not real steep and not really long either, but if I don't have access to my wife's car (auto) it certainly saves the clutch on the ute.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2017, 07:18:47 AM »
Most caravan/ camper trailer yards have a vehicle with a front mounted towball. Driving in 4wd low range on concrete will give you diff wind up, it will release when driven on the grass. Short distance on hard surfaces in 4wd low range will not hurt your car and will release when taken out of gear/ low range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk