Author Topic: School me on Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee's  (Read 14449 times)

Offline Vitara_JaycoSwift_Outback

• Soft Floor Camper User
School me on Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee's
« on: June 20, 2017, 02:03:38 PM »
Currently looking for a new car with a budget of 30k. Have been looking for petrol Prado's and Pajero at local dealerships but I can't find anything in good enough condition.

Came a across 2012 Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee today which is immaculate and seems to be a very nice vehicle. My problem is I know nothing about Jeep's and I have a negative perception of their quality from what you hear about Jeeps.

Can anyone please  let me know their experiences with them, both good and bad.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:20:24 PM by Vitara_JaycoSwift_Outback »

Offline Gandalf the White

• Wise Wandering Wizard
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Feelin great with a 2.8
Re: School me on Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee's
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 02:13:38 PM »
I had one of these. Beautiful vehicle with all the bells and whistles, drove and towed like a dream, but then........................the trouble started.

In my case, the transfer case sh1t itself after 50,000k and had to be completely replaced.  There are lots of reports of transmissions overheating and electrical components failing. My mate got stuck in the Kimberley and had to pay $4k to have a new gearbox flown in so he could get home as Jeep Assist covered the gearbox under warranty but would only pay road freight that took 4 weeks.  Outside of metro areas, you will struggle to find a mechanic happy to work on them when something goes wrong.  If it comes with a warranty, then up to you, but if not, I can only give you my history and suggestion that you run, run fast and far.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:48:26 PM by Gandalf the White »
How to fall asleep in a chair
1 - sit in a chair
2 - be old
The following users thanked this post: Bad Scott

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »
I don't know much about Jeeps, but I know enough to not want to own one.  Which is a shame, cause I don't mind the Wrangler and SRT Hemi Cherokee.

In regards to the Prado and Pajero, I can only offer the following options.  Look outside dealerships, increase your budget or lower your expectations on 'good condition'.
Both are very good, honest, reliable units.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »
Quote from: Vitara_JaycoSwift_Outback
I have a negative perception of their quality from what you hear about Jeeps.
wise man..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »

Owned a diesel Grand Cherokee, the one with the Mercedes motor. When it went it went really well, spare parts? Wait for six weeks, they all come from Singapore. Never again.

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 03:52:50 PM »
Our daughter had one, not diesel and a bunch of years older.
Technology may have changed but when if you did not immediately access it using the remote control, when starting it you had a few seconds to press a button on the remote so the thing would keep running.
About 5 years ago her remote button died when she was at Roma. Jeep's fix was to have her tilt tray the Cherokee to Toowoomba her nearest dealer nearly 500k away at her expense and they would zap a new key system for her at another $500 plus.
Jeep technology may have improved but I doubt the attitude has.
Our receptionist recently off loaded a diesel GC that was 15 months and 70 000km old. It was on its third set of brake pads, had started making transmission noises, and sometimes putting it in Park, the vehicle would start rolling away. It had also broken down a few times, but nothing found wrong after the tow back to Jeep.
Smooth capable and comfortable drive, not so good fuel economy, and worrisome. My personal suggestion would be to look at a different brand.

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:59:34 PM »
Lol surely there is a defender o this American iconic brand.
I have not owned one, so it will not be me
The ones friends have owned have been very capable, when running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 04:14:47 PM »
As a member of a Jeep Club for the past 13 years (and having owned 2) I totally agree with Gandalf the White's last sentence, regardless if you have the warranty.  My mates Jeep was in at the dealership for 16 weeks straight for a warranty issue they couldn't fix - no replacement vehicle given!!

Here is some light viewing for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sVmoOZRypk
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 04:20:58 PM by JCOJ »
The following users thanked this post: pommiedic

Offline silverfox1111

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 04:28:28 PM »
I've had my grand cherokee diesel for 5 years from new (2012 model) & can't  rate it highly enough.
Great power & torque, terrific for towing, excellent fuel economy, wont find a more comfortable 4wd in this price range.
In the five years of ownership the only failure has been a headlight globe!
Agree that there isn't  the dealership support away from major towns but just look at how many are being used to tow big caravans all over the place.
You'll always hear from the jeep haters. Most haven't even driven a jeep. ?
Toyota hilux
Modcon ff1(no more)
Jayco swan outback

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
Quote from: lloydus67
The ones friends have owned have been very capable, when running
So is any car :D Theres a reason they are so cheap....

Quote from: JCOJ
As a member of a Jeep Club for the past 13 years (and having owned 2) I totally agree with Gandalf the White's last sentence, regardless if you have the warranty.  My mates Jeep was in at the dealership for 16 weeks straight for a warranty issue they couldn't fix - no replacement vehicle given!!

Here is some light viewing for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sVmoOZRypk
I'd forgotten that vid LMAO

16 weeks??? ??? WTF?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »
ln response to your question / heading   WHY     :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(            :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Vitara_JaycoSwift_Outback

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 07:05:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes I'd like to up the budget but sadly this isn't an option. I don't mind buying Privately but the wife wants to purchase from a reputable dealer which does limit our options.

ln response to your question / heading   WHY     :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(            :cheers:

It falls in our budget, low k's, immaculate inside and out and ticks all of our boxes in terms of what we're looking for. I think I'm going to leave it and wait for something else to pop up. Would ideally want a 150 series Prado and have found a Petrol one for that price but it had a lot of cosmetic issues, inside and out.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 07:18:46 PM »
Can't comment on the jeeps but you shouldn't have any problem getting a reasonable Pajero for $30k. I bought an ex police one with 90000 kms on it for just a bit more and it hasn't missed a bit in the last 2 years. There are good ones and bad out there but you just need to be selective.

I reckon i have also seen Prados in this price bracket as well but they may have had a few more kms on though.

If you absolutely don't want to go down the private route then find a dealer that you trust a bit more than the others then let them know what you are after and they will be able to keep an eye out.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 08:10:16 PM »
My 07  NS Pajero Oiler EX Tasfleet had 60k in 2 years , full service history & that was in 09 .
Today with 260KM & counting l have booked it in for a new HD clutch as its slipping .
Geez its only been to the Vic Hi Country , Birdsville , Red Center , Kimberly , The Cape then touring Vic towing & shopping . Apart from that its been sitting under cover in the compound .This works for me  , it might work foe you to                    :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 08:32:34 PM »
My Father in law owns a Grand Cherokee that must be just about out of warranty by now, his is basically just a blacktop run around, no offroad and no towing.

They are very nice to drive, very torquey diesel mated to a great transmission.

I did strongly consider buying one a few years ago as I needed something primarily to tow my 2700kg boat on the blacktop and they are cheap to buy and give a lot of bang for your back.

Here are the reasons I did not.

1. They are very small. A Pajero is much much bigger in the wagon compartment behind the second row. The space behind the 3RD row of my Y62 is not much smaller than the whole cargo space of the Jeep.

2. No matter how much I researched to find good stories on reliability and ease of service etc I still found a disproportionate number of reviews and accounts of total misery on the reliability front. I think its pretty fair to say that Jeeps carry a reputation for poor reliability and that reputation is more than hearsay.

3. IMO They do not age well. My father in laws JGC with only maybe 60,000km on the clock that has never been offroad, doesn't have kids kicking seats and making a mess in the back feels decidedly second hand inside. All the hard plastics and the chromed plastics, even the marking on the switch gear, start button and the plastic on the gear lever are all showing signs of wear which I would rate as totally unacceptable. My Nissan which is treated pretty poorly by my kids and has done more work looks brand new inside when I am motivated enough to give it a proper clean!!

4. Service costs.
My father in law and I both use the same independant mechanic. For the cost of the Jeeps genuine oil filter my mechanic can do a basic service on my Nissan using genuine Nissan filters and quality oil. He was miffed by the cost of Jeep parts!!

If you dont plan on going too far from civilisation, not looking to go off-road seriously and are happy to take the chance on something very expensive going bang and dont need much room to store stuff then sure go for the 2nd hand Jeep.

Personally I think the Pajero is a much smarter buy, my mate bought a relatively late model diesel Pajero with only 50k km on the clock for low 30's. We give that thing a pasting on paddocks chasing pigs, spotlighting etc and its a good solid unit that takes the abuse well.

Other options if your not opposed to petrol powered vehicles include the V6 Prado, I owned a 2003 4.8 Petrol powered auto Patrol. If you can stomach the 4.8's fuel bill you wont have to worry too much about reliabilitt, they are a rock solid unit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:36:11 PM by petrolburner »
Complete Campsite Fraser XTE

2013 Nissan Patrol Y62 ST-L

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 08:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes I'd like to up the budget but sadly this isn't an option. I don't mind buying Privately but the wife wants to purchase from a reputable dealer which does limit our options.

It falls in our budget, low k's, immaculate inside and out and ticks all of our boxes in terms of what we're looking for. I think I'm going to leave it and wait for something else to pop up. Would ideally want a 150 series Prado and have found a Petrol one for that price but it had a lot of cosmetic issues, inside and out.

Why on earth would you buy from a dealer over private?!?!?!

You can tell a lot about the car by talking to the owner, the dealer is always going to feed you BS!!
Complete Campsite Fraser XTE

2013 Nissan Patrol Y62 ST-L

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 08:44:41 PM »

You can tell a lot about the car by talking to the owner, the dealer is always going to feed you BS!!
👍👍👍
I hate stealers.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 08:54:08 PM »
If looking at Prados and Pajeros, what are classed as:
-Too high KMs
-Too old
-Wrong spec
-Must haves

I know that our local dealers here in Northern NSW don't do the online car listings very well, but they do have a good stock of wagons at the moment.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 08:54:34 PM »

the wife wants to purchase from a reputable dealer which does limit our options.

Would ideally want a 150 series Prado and have found a Petrol one for that price but it had a lot of cosmetic issues, inside and out.

You've paying a premium by buying from a 'reputable' dealer.  So as I said,  you'll need to lower your price point expectations.

Maybe take the wife to inspect similar priced private sales or non dealership car yards.

Might open her eyes a little?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 09:04:40 PM »
👍👍👍
I hate stealers.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Someone else can type faster, can't they Glen. >:D
I know how it feels.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Moxley

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »

Yes, and in some cases you can tell a lot about a person by inspecting and driving their car.

Offline Dilligara

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »
Currently looking for a new car with a budget of 30k. Have been looking for petrol Prado's and Pajero at local dealerships but I can't find anything in good enough condition.

Came a across 2012 Diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee today which is immaculate and seems to be a very nice vehicle. My problem is I know nothing about Jeep's and I have a negative perception of their quality from what you hear about Jeeps.

Can anyone please  let me know their experiences with them, both good and bad.

Thanks in advance
My brothers Grand Cherokee would not stop boiling going up hills, after years of trying he and jeep called it square and they gave him his money back.  Run Far Run Fast.

You can get a new Triton dual cab for not much more than 30K, 5 years warranty etc
Andrew - Brisbane - MQ Triton  & Lifestyle Breakaway Ultra

Offline leachy_9

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2017, 10:25:28 PM »
If you're considering a petrol 150 Prado, why not look for a low K 120 series Prado? They are a cracker of an engine, with very few down sides to the whole vehicle. A well looked after, 7 year old Prado, would present and drive like new and probably better than the a 4 year old Jeep. It will also hold it's value a lot better. A quick look on Carsales.com.au shows a number of petrol 120 Prados with 75-100K kms for $25K-$35K.
As others have pointed out buying from a dealer is just throwing money away

Offline IanS

• Tent User
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 12:30:42 AM »
I must be one of the lucky Jeep owners, I've had 2, both Grand Cherokees, the first one was second hand with about 70k on the clock when we got it, had to replace the rear diff bearings twice and the front once while we had it, it was a straight 6 petrol motor about 4.2 litre from memory, it had done 320k when we traded it in on a new one in 2009, it has the 3 litre Mercedes V6 diesel, its now done 170k, the only repair it has had was last week the glow plugs and controller were replaced as it wasn't starting very well on cold mornings. Nice to drive, plenty of power for towing, usually around 10 litres per hundred when not towing which I think is quite acceptable, the oil filter is available from Ryco or Fleetguard and is not expensive.
I would agree that outside major cities dealers are a bit sparse and would be an issue if you needed parts.
Would I buy another? Without hesitation Yes!!!

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 04:38:00 AM »
Well, there you go.......and from someone who owns one..... :cup:

Not a mate of my Mums hairdresser who knew somebody that bought one.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.