Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 9564 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
That why I prefaced it with probably, I agree that I get just as much enjoyment if not sometimes more from seeing my kids experience things than myself.

My comment was about comfort, not newness coming at the expense of a sense of adventure, so given you're driving a 79series, I'd expect you to still be enjoying the sense of adventure  ;D
i only bought a new fourby as I didn't trust the old rig anymore (was waiting for the engine to go boom), I'd happily go camping in a VN dunnydore if that's all I could afford...lol. At the end of the day, so long as you have something comfortable to sleep on, stay dry and stay warm, or have shade to get out of the hot sun, then your camping experience should be a good one 8)
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: jadeenna

Offline Homerj

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »
https://kickarsemum.com/

This blog may be worth reading if you haven't seen it already.
2005 Pajero with a few bits and pieces.

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 07:37:23 PM »
Don't rule out a medium size SUV kitted out with an awning and a big 30 sec oztent.
Add a second battery and fridge slide to your car and away you go, no trailer worries, less fuel and in your budget.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45
The following users thanked this post: plusnq, jadeenna

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 08:07:31 PM »
For a single mum with a 6yo, I'd give the camper idea a miss and look for an older small pop-top caravan.
Much less to set-up, and better protection from the elements.
Would go nicely behind a Jackaroo or similar.

My 2c....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 09:32:09 PM »
Hey Jadeena,

What a great idea and you and especially your son can see and learn so much whilst your travelling. I admire the courage it takes to think about what your doing, and hope you decide to go for it!

Cheers Nomad. :cheers:

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 11:31:29 PM »
https://kickarsemum.com/

This blog may be worth reading if you haven't seen it already.

Well she's towing a Jayco Dove but with only the two of you I'd go for the finch with an SX4 and juggle the budget between the two with age/mileage/condition-
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camira/caravans/jayco-finch/1146711822
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bellbird-park/caravans/jayco-finch/1137714270
Start looking at a few and chatting with their owners to get a feel of what you're looking at and the various accoutrements they can come with.

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline InnerCityBoy

• Swag User
  • Camper trailer-ing since 2014
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 07:39:38 AM »
G'day Jadeena, given (1)your lack of towing experience and (2) Cost & additional mechanical problems of a camper van in that price range (3) additional fuel to get from A -> B due to towing,  - perhaps consider a reliable Campervan such as a Toyota Hiace that would offer you a dry safe place to sleep without any lengthy set up time.

+1 ... a camper van would be perfect for you + young son. If you have your mind set on towing something, look for a small caravan / pop-top.

If you have your heart set on a camper trailer, make sure you try setting up and packing up by yourself before buying, to make sure you can do it that you'll enjoy doing it many, many times as you drive around the country. My wife can't set up our soft-floor by herself.

Good luck
2015 Jayco Flamingo Outback
2015 Prado GXL 2.8 D4D

Offline SambOz

• Tent User
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 08:03:51 AM »
(2) Cost & additional mechanical problems of a camper van in that price range

Apols for any confusion Jadeena, typo, meant to say cost/problems of caravan/camper trailer.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
What would you do?
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 08:07:47 AM »
Well she's towing a Jayco Dove but with only the two of you I'd go for the finch with an SX4 and juggle the budget between the two with age/mileage/condition-
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camira/caravans/jayco-finch/1146711822
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bellbird-park/caravans/jayco-finch/1137714270
Start looking at a few and chatting with their owners to get a feel of what you're looking at and the various accoutrements they can come with.
Unbelievable how quick these Finches sell.

I passed one out at Esk on my way back from Toowoomba last week and thought they looked like the size that all caravans should be. So I jumped on line to check them out, there was one for sale at Maroochydore for 10k. I was going to link it here, but about 5 days after I saw the add it was sold.

Earlier yesterday I linked the same gumtree add as you, it's also sold now.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »
For us I follow a basic K.I.S.S.  Principle [ keep it simple stupid ] Cover the basic needs for ease of use / reliability / comfort and safety and ad to that as you go keeping weight down as much as possible .
Before you begin the new direction in life on the road it might pay to do a Towing course / basic 4x4 driving  course [ if you intend on 4x4ing at some stage ] yes a few hundred $$ each, but it will give you new abilities /  handling confidence and safety for you both ..[ could also get you a discount on your insurance ?? ] .
You will find most fellow life travellers will readily lend a helping hand if you strike troubles ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
Unbelievable how quick these Finches sell.

I passed one out at Esk on my way back from Toowoomba last week and thought they looked like the size that all caravans should be. So I jumped on line to check them out, there was one for sale at Maroochydore for 10k. I was going to link it here, but about 5 days after I saw the add it was sold.

Earlier yesterday I linked the same gumtree add as you, it's also sold now.

Yes not many Finches around given their price new and they're popular with smaller tugs for couples. That's where the 1186kg 2002 Dove snuck in with the Suzy SX4 1200kg tow rating but the later solid sided ones wouldn't (around 2005+ I think) Whatever Jayco windup you choose it's all about the canvas/flyscreen condition.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline cRAZY Canuck

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »
Hi Kellie,

As it is just the two of you what about a rooftop tent? You'd be sharing it with your 6yr old but there are some advantages in cost and storage space and it would allow you to spend a greater portion of the budget on the vehicle.

On the car as pointed out if you don't require 4wd the Toyota Hiace is a good option and there are some well fit out ones, Drifta has setups for these down pat. If you want 4wd one of the 4wd Mitsubishi vans could be an option as well your standard 4wds.

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »
Campertrailer is good because if you just want to go to the shops you don't have to pack up camp, unlike a roof top tent!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 09:58:15 AM »
Car options that are in budget include things like a Kia Sorrento - we've got one locally for sale for $7k:
"2009 Kia Sorento 4x4 turbo diesel
190***km Very Cheap on fuel
Very reliable and always serviced, roof racks, towball, trailer brake system, bullbar, 5 seater ,Tiptronic 5speed Automatic , near new Tyers. august rego all swaps and backtrade offers considered"

So an interesting option for what is in budget, and quite a capable car really for a lot of travelling; also can tow about 2,000kg from memory, so open up a lot of trailer options as well.

Offline jadeenna

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 10:54:32 AM »
Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate you all taking the time to let me know your thoughts. I have a lot to think about, but now even more keen to do this.
I will keep researching, asking questions and looking at different options, but I think towing something would suit us best, as long as it's easy for me to set up. I loved that little gadget that helps reverse, but I will be doing a towing course as well and looking into the possibility of doing a 4wd course. I don't think that we would be doing any serious 4wd ing, but maybe some easier areas that are still close to people, as I am mindful that it's just the 2 of us and my lack of experience - for now! I plan to get our set up a few months before leaving so we can do a few practice runs first on the weekend.

I'm sure I will have a million more questions! We are sitting down this weekend to do some more planning.

Thanks heaps,
Kellie

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »
The missus got bailed up again while filling her SX4 today by a young woman asking about the towbar, etc as she was looking at getting one which reminded me why I grabbed the 2009 low km one. I discovered the 2007-2009 4x4 model has a bulletproof German 4 speed transmission and it was ideal for towing the maxm 1200kg I wanted it for whereas a 6 speed auto was fitted from 2010-2013. Probably improved fuel economy as a runabout but not as good a tower with a 2L motor. Ours has done 140+k now and still feels as tight as when I bought it at 35k and there are some good low km ones out there in your budget as I found-
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mitcham/cars-vans-utes/2007-suzuki-sx4-hatchback/1150455437

Pity the lass put the lower profile spider mags on it and you'd want the standard 16" with original Bridgestone Turanza ER300s back on it. The looks brigade would be happy to do a straight swapover no doubt and I'm not a big fan of black but my deal was too good to pass up on colour at the time. I like 'Made in Japan' but whatever you get it must have full service history so happy hunting.

Offline moeite

• Tent User
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »
I have a budget of $10,000 for a camper trailer or very small caravan. Happy with something small and older as long as it's safe and clean. Would be looking at a small annex to increase size. Must be able to reverse and set up by myself (with a very enthusiastic young man)
I will need to upgrade my car as I have a Mitsubishi colt, but don't want a big car. Budget for this is $10,000.

As others have said, your costing's are quite feasible. We started out with a very serviceable Land Rover Discovery 2 with about 300k km's on the clock and an ancient but equally serviceable Indigo rear fold camper. Total cost for the two of them was $11,500. After about 70 or 80k km's we upgraded to a new forward fold camper but kept the car. The only reason we upgraded the camper was that we killed the old one - broken chassis. We got it welded up but could never quite trust it again. We broke our old camper on some VERY rough roads between Birdsville and Bourke and got it to Bourke where we got it welded.

Before you buy a tug get it THOROUGHLY checked out by someone who knows their stuff. Ditto the camper. The more experienced people here will be only to glad to offer advice and opinions. Do lots of research. eg. Disco 2 Td5's have a fearsomely bad rep but further research reveals that a very well looked after example with a complete service record is nothing to be afraid of.

Our cheap and cheerful setup provided us with very little angst and a HEAP of treasured memories. We visited some truly remarkable places and don't regret any of it for even a fleeting instant.
Mark F...
VK3KW
2002 Discovery 2 Td5 auto
2004 Outback Sturt rear fold soft floor
Http://jandmf.com

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 11:42:43 PM »
Just remember size is all relative and it aint the dog in the fight it's the fight in the dog  ;D

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »
is it time to  " Beat The Feet "  yet     ??? Make a mile , Killameter,Chase the Horizon Follow the Vib , Treg up & Make Dust  or just Be the 1 That actually DID IT     :cup:        :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2017, 01:58:51 PM »
G'day Jadeena, given (1)your lack of towing experience and (2) Cost & additional mechanical problems of a camper van in that price range (3) additional fuel to get from A -> B due to towing,  - perhaps consider a reliable Campervan such as a Toyota Hiace that would offer you a dry safe place to sleep without any lengthy set up time.

For the places that are suitable, ie family c/van parks a light weight tent could be utilised as a back up.

Looking here - http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy

and putting in your price limit etc as search parameters you will find quite a few campers that might suit.

Some have bull bars fitted, solar panels, extra batteries etc, all good gear for travelling.

Take a mechanic when looking if you know one, good luck and safe travels  ;D

Actually... I reckon this is a pretty top idea! If you combine your budget for car + trailer you can get a pretty decent second hand van! If you don't need to worry about getting into shopping centres, parking in difficult/tight places, etc. and are more interested in the adventure of the travel, I'd definitely consider this if I was in your shoes! Heck, some days I still do. ;)
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com