Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 9538 times)

Offline jadeenna

• Learning the Ropes
What would you do?
« on: June 07, 2017, 10:06:35 AM »
Hi everyone, I hope I have the right area for this question! I have started planning our big adventure, but need some help. My situation is:

Single mum with 6 year old boy.
Absolutely no camping, towing experience.
Wanting to travel around Australia in 2018.

I have a budget of $10,000 for a camper trailer or very small caravan. Happy with something small and older as long as it's safe and clean. Would be looking at a small annex to increase size. Must be able to reverse and set up by myself (with a very enthusiastic young man)
I will need to upgrade my car as I have a Mitsubishi colt, but don't want a big car. Budget for this is $10,000.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on whether my costings are feasible and if so, what would you recommend, thank you heaps,
Kellie

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »
your costings are feasible quite easily...

the problem is your options are in their 10000's...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: jadeenna

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 10:27:59 AM »
Ambitious but doable, I think! Good on you! :D What kind of trip are you planning?

There are others far more experienced in this area who'll be able to offer good recommendations, but a few basic considerations I can think of:

- Make sure you're comfortable towing - reversing, lining up and hitching a trailer, etc. Do you have a friend who has a towing vehicle and some experience to get you started?
- Get a reliable car if you're planning on going anywhere too remote (or ideally if you're planning on heading *anywhere*! LOL!). The more common the vehicle, the more common parts will be if you end up stuck in the middle of nowhere.
- Likewise, if you're going remote, expect the unexpected and make sure you're well enough set up to get yourself out of trouble, at least in terms of emergency communication to get help if you need it.
- If you're planning to head off the bitumen that will likely change your vehicle and trailer options. But also consider how comfortable you'll be towing off-road. You can see a lot of Australia without tackling any difficult tracks, and being a little on the inexperienced side that may be a comfortable place to start. You can always consider upgrading in the future if you love the camping and touring life!
- Within your price range you're likely looking at older vehicles, but I don't think that means you shouldn't be able to find something that'll fit the purpose for you. Maybe a GQ Patrol (though I'm going to guess probably with high kms given the age and price bracket)...? Anyone got other better suggestions...?
- Camper trailer wise I think you'll have an easier time finding something unless you're after a top of the range hard floor or caravan with all the extras. ;) Plenty of soft-floor camper options in that price bracket, but I'm not the one with the knowledge in that area... Maybe get a cheaper camper and put more money towards the vehicle...?

Another consideration - are you sold on the idea of towing a van or camper trailer? Reason I ask is because tent camping isn't so bad - yes, I know this is a camper trailer forum but my husband and I are tent tourers and love it. We have an Oztent RV-3 and its great - big enough for us and our dog. Very quick set up, retail for under $1000 new these days (I think the bigger RV-5 is around the $1000 mark these days?). Also don't need to worry about towing anything! Just a thought.

With your costings, have you considered additional extras like fridge, etc. that you may need to purchase? Its surprising how much all the little things add up!

Good luck! This forum is such a friendly place for advice so I'm sure someone more in the know than me can offer up some pearls of wisdom for you that I'd have no idea about! :) If you can give us a bit more of an idea about what you're planning to do, features you want in a trailer/vehicle, etc. then perhaps we can offer some more specific advice. :)
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson, jadeenna

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 10:57:22 AM »
It is certainly doable but with no real camping or towing experience, I think I would try giving it a go first to see if you really like it or not. If I was you my plan of attack would probably look something like this.

1) Go to the biggest caravan & camping show that is near you and happening in the near future and check out a lot of the different options and try best to envisage how they would work for you. You are not going to be buying new but more assessing what styles you like best.

2) Have a look at gumtree and find someone hiring something as similar as possible to your preferred camper/caravan or maybe even a Motorhome. Beg borrow or steal a car capable of towing it and hit the road for a week, this will give you both a taste for camping as well as the ability to assess how your initial preferred choice works for you. No point forking out for a new car and camper and organising the trip only to work out a couple of weeks in that it's not what you expected

3) Buy what ever suits you best, given the limited timeframe I would bee looking favourably at anything that has actually been used for extended travelling as it will likely already have most issues already ironed out and you likely won't have a lot of time to do this before you head off.

4) Do a test trip or two before your main one, even if they are only short so that you can solve any issues that arise and optimise your set up before you depart.

Offline paul.o

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
And when (or if) you go to said camping show, ignore all of the bright shiny "must have" gadgets, accessories and toys! There will be heaps, they will most possible be handy, but most likely not really be needed and will definitely blow you budget!! :D

Good luck.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
Slightly different thoughts to some of the others:
1) Vehicle: Decide where you're likely to take it, and then chose the car based on that. If it's just dirt roads in National Parks and off the beaten track, I'd be looking at something like a Toyota RAV4 or Hyundai Santa Fe - both can cope with dirt roads, but not extreme off road. Friend just got a 2012ish Santa Fe diesel for $12k so they're not far out of budget and would be a lot newer and less thirsty than an older 4WD. If you're thinking proper off road then I'd be looking at Mitsubishi Pajero or perhaps even a Land Rover Discovery; both avoid the Toyota/Nissan tax, and are quite capable as both tow cars and off road.

2) Trailer: This is again decided by where you're going; if you're sticking to good dirt roads, then something that is semi-offroad would do the trick. I'd be inclined to look at some of the twin bed set ups if you go caravan - they might be a bit smaller, and therefore lighter. Also a caravan will be quicker to set up with the 6yo then a camper. Otherwise, I'd go (as someone else has suggested) a good sized tent could be an option. However, for a longer trip I'd be inclined to favour a hardsided option!

3) Moving the van on site: I'd look at getting a motor mover to help! Parents have had them on their last 3 vans now (so about the last 15 year) drop the drive rollers onto the tyres and then use the remote control to position it - they have to weave up their driveway and round the house in a double S pretty much, so this was easier than reversing up the driveway.

Hope that all helps,

Ed

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 12:17:42 PM »

Not trying to be a wet blanket but I think you will have a few problems. Your budget is pretty skinny so you are going to be buying at the bottom of the market and travelling to remote places with this stuff. The car and van/camper is only the beginning, you will have all the add ons like chairs, fridges, dual battery set up etc etc. So in effect you will be taking off around Australia with a budget set up, completely inexperienced. Camping, towing and travelling can be fun and exciting but is very easily soured by bad experiences early on. I really think you would be better off testing the waters and see if you like it or not. I admire people who want to get out and have a go but your trip is really jumping in at the deep end, best to let your experience evolve into the big lap and give the young fella the memories he will carry for a lifetime.

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 01:01:48 PM »
Not trying to be a wet blanket but I think you will have a few problems. Your budget is pretty skinny so you are going to be buying at the bottom of the market and travelling to remote places with this stuff. The car and van/camper is only the beginning, you will have all the add ons like chairs, fridges, dual battery set up etc etc. So in effect you will be taking off around Australia with a budget set up, completely inexperienced. Camping, towing and travelling can be fun and exciting but is very easily soured by bad experiences early on. I really think you would be better off testing the waters and see if you like it or not. I admire people who want to get out and have a go but your trip is really jumping in at the deep end, best to let your experience evolve into the big lap and give the young fella the memories he will carry for a lifetime.
And isn't that the fun of it? You don't need a 200 series and a $60k trailer. People do it in beat up old vans and cars all the time.

Now, if looking at a campertrailer, i would seriously look at a hard floor, it will be soooooo much easier to set up by yourself.
I know my wife can do ours, even the kids can, but they would have really struggled with our old soft floors.
I would look at an older model CUB camper, aussie made, good parts availability, and there are heaps of them around. I sold our regal offroad for $7k a few years back, was nothing wrong with it, and that would fit into your budget and allow enough money to get a fridge.

As for a car, well where do you start. I would be looking in the 4cyl diesel range, cheap to run, easy to get parts (particularly toyota)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 01:11:59 PM »

I'll disagree a little bit, I think a lot of peoples must haves can be easily done without if you are not too fussy. Here is an example of a setup that would likely suit them that already comes in under budget but with a little haggling would likely leave a 2-3k to get extra's
A Car https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mitsubishi-Pajero-2003/SSE-AD-4580710/?Cr=2
And a camper https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wentworth-falls/camper-trailers/2007-cub-supamatic-regal/1148120265
No going to win any bling contests but should serve the purposes just fine. 
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson, jadeenna

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 01:13:16 PM »
Quote from: vern
And isn't that the fun of it? You don't need a 200 series and a $60k trailer. People do it in beat up old vans and cars all the time.
As for a car, well where do you start. I would be looking in the 4cyl diesel range, cheap to run, easy to get parts (particularly toyota)
Exactly what I was thinking.

$10k gets you a good GQ or Jackaroo or Dual Cab Rodeo etc.
$10k gets you a ****in awesome camper trailer with goodies.

No need for the rip off $80,000 sardine can hybrid Shitter and $100k car.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: GROB, jadeenna

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »
I'll disagree a little bit, I think a lot of peoples must haves can be easily done without if you are not too fussy. Here is an example of a setup that would likely suit them that already comes in under budget but with a little haggling would likely leave a 2-3k to get extra's
A Car https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mitsubishi-Pajero-2003/SSE-AD-4580710/?Cr=2
And a camper https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wentworth-falls/camper-trailers/2007-cub-supamatic-regal/1148120265
Thats perfect!

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »
I agree with Vern, with just a quick search I found 2 CUB campers in good condition and a vast aray of small SUVs that would easily tow a camper for well under $10,000, varying from Ford Territorys, Nissan Xtrails, Kia, Hyundia, RAV 4, Captiva, even a couple of Volvo X70s, you really are spoilt with choice, I say go for it and start looking now, you should be able to get a car and camper for around the $15,000 to $18,000 very easily, even lower if you look hard enough.

Once you get that done, the rest is easy.

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/private/SSE-AD-4743612/1999-cub-supamatic/?cr=17&category=camping-trailers&psq=%28%28%28%28%28Category%3D%5BCamping%20Trailers%5D%26SubCategory%3D%5BCamper%20Trailer%5D%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3D%5BDealer%20Used%5D%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20New%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BPrivate%20Used%5D%29%7CSiloType%3D%5BDealer%20Near%20New%5D%29%29%26SaleStatus%3D%5BFor%20Sale%5D%29%26Service%3D%5BCaravancampingsales%5D%29%26Make%3D%5BCUB%5D%29&pso=15&pss=Premium

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Captiva-2008/SSE-AD-4740630/?Cr=48

You don't need a 4WD to see Australia
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:41:28 PM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »

Nailed it!!!

Was pretty much what I would have suggested as well.
Older model Pajero or Challenger.
With a Cub, teardrop or even a little Jayco Finch https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camira/caravans/jayco-finch/1146711822
No reason at all why you couldn't do it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:48:50 PM by Pete79 »

Offline Julian Kaye

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 02:11:42 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking.

No one's saying you do but when you're taking off for the big lap with stuff from the lower end of the market, never have camped and towed before and with no idea if you can cope with living under canvas then you could be setting yourself up for disappointment. There's two sides to every idea, always better to take of the rose tint glasses and look at reality. Not saying don't do it but better to put your toe in the water first.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 02:16:58 PM »
People do it in beat up old vans and cars all the time.

And I think those that do it in an old beat up van probably have more fun too. I think, unfortunately, comfort often comes at the expense of a sense of adventure.

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »
And I think those that do it in an old beat up van probably have more fun too. I think, unfortunately, comfort often comes at the expense of a sense of adventure.
Yes, and you could save up thousands of dollars for years and years to be more comfortable, then never go!

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »
When you dont know the comforts of the top end camp trailers and 4wds you really dont know what you dont know.
What I mean by that is, you make do with what you have, ignorance is bliss. So tenting it with the basics is still fun. We did it for years travelling Oz when we were young and looking back they were some of the best and carefree years of our lives.
On the vehicle side heres another option to consider.
A camper type van with fridge and cooker set up may be an option. Doesnt need a bed in it.  Some tow a trailer to carry a bit of kit in.
Just an option to consider. Only you know where your going. You dont need a 4wd to access alot places.  They were doing it for years on alot rougher roads years back in old holdens and fords. Drive to conditions. Your purchase price and running costs on 2wds are cheaper
Work out where your planning on travelling and take it from there.
Keep asking questions coz thats how you get answers.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »

I was just about to suggest a Jackaroo. One of the most undervalued 4wds in the country. When you consider that it's basically an Isuzu truck motor and drivetrain... the price they sell for used is a steal!

I'd be looking at a Jackaroo and a 2nd hand Cub hardfloor. both solid, (reasonably) reliable and in the pricerange.

As to people telling you that it might be difficult...

in 1992, with no cycle touring experience at all. Not even a single weekend away. I chucked my mountain bike on the train to Townsville. When I arrived, I booked into a motel for the night, I put the bike back together and loaded my camping gear up on it. (way too much gear as it turned out, and I sent a lot of stuff home from Mt Isa, and more from Katherine)

The next morning I headed west, to Newcastle... via Mt Isa, Hells Gate, the Gulf, Darwin, Katherine, Kununurra, the Gibb River Road, Broome, Perth, Adelaide, Broken Hill and eventually, 18 months later... home.

I'd not even slept in my tent until that first night out of Townsville. (though... I had practised sleeping on the floor at home on the 3/4 length Thermarest).

the point I'm trying to make is... make some plans... think about things before you leave. (I got some touring maps from the NRMA which listed all the rest areas that I might be able to camp at)... Nowadays... with apps like wikicamps... things are easier.

But mainly... just do it. Life is a limited time offer.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:05:27 PM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 05:37:42 PM »

I will need to upgrade my car as I have a Mitsubishi colt, but don't want a big car. Budget for this is $10,000.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on whether my costings are feasible and if so, what would you recommend, thank you heaps,

There was an article a year or so ago about a young mum in exactly your situation and she travelled around Oz in one of these like my wife and I have done towing a Jayco Dove-
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Suzuki-SX4-2014/SSE-AD-4766491/

That's a very good price for a 2Litre 4WD that can tow 1200kg and you can unbolt the back seats for the trip for more storage and you should be able to get a towbar fitted and find a lightweight camper trailer to suit within budget and it will be a useful urban runabout when you get back.

You're travelling solo so it's excellent in AWD on the dirt roads and corrugations, etc as well as being capable of taking you to places like Palm Valley where you need its capability with some sandy stuff. Also being short wheelbase with short overhangs front and rear it can handle dipping in and out of creek beds and the like that larger 4WDs need to be jacked up higher to handle. In the mould of Jimnys and Vitaras, the Suzuki SX4 is a real gem and bulletproof in that regard with 2WD, AWD and 4WD lock for some real fun and raising eyebrows at where you can take it off the beaten track as you get more experienced with it. Expect around 11.5 L/100kms towing and remember fuel prices can approach $2/L in remote areas  :cheers:
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 06:00:15 PM »
ln younger years l spent 3 1/2 years doing a lap in a 77LX Torana dog standard . l slept in a 2 man pup tent that cost $20 at night , or a caravan park , or in the bush . l worked my way around ,,,,,, & had a BALL DOING IT    :cheers:
What ever you direction you go you will see things that only you have seen .
The Little Swagger will talk about the  " Big Adventure wit his MUM  " at every opportunity . He will look at a map of Aus & remember the day that this happened  there  , & so on .
                               Treg up & Make Dust to gather memories   
           Bring me that horizon                        :cup:                   :cheers: 
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »
i disagree with this sentiment myself...I have just as much fun camping these days in my new 4wd and hardfloor camper trailer, as I did in a tent, with esky, and dirty old hilux 4wd with no power steering or air con. The only real differance these days is I have to plan stuff the whole family will enjoy, rather then just thinking about myself...it's actually more enjoyable seeing my kids experience things or places for the first time then doing it myself at times.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline SambOz

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 06:20:28 PM »
G'day Jadeena, given (1)your lack of towing experience and (2) Cost & additional mechanical problems of a camper van in that price range (3) additional fuel to get from A -> B due to towing,  - perhaps consider a reliable Campervan such as a Toyota Hiace that would offer you a dry safe place to sleep without any lengthy set up time.

For the places that are suitable, ie family c/van parks a light weight tent could be utilised as a back up.

Looking here - http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy

and putting in your price limit etc as search parameters you will find quite a few campers that might suit.

Some have bull bars fitted, solar panels, extra batteries etc, all good gear for travelling.

Take a mechanic when looking if you know one, good luck and safe travels  ;D

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 06:43:26 PM »

No need to live in a house either.......but plenty of people like a bit of comfort....IF they can afford it !!

The OP has said what her budget is, so we can assume the $180,000 hasn't been thought of !!  ??? ???
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 07:09:16 PM »
Jadeena, don't die wondering, just do it  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: You can do it on a horse and cart if you want to enough
cheers Keith  :cheers:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 07:11:51 PM »
i disagree with this sentiment myself...I have just as much fun camping these days in my new 4wd and hardfloor camper trailer, as I did in a tent, with esky, and dirty old hilux 4wd with no power steering or air con. The only real differance these days is I have to plan stuff the whole family will enjoy, rather then just thinking about myself...it's actually more enjoyable seeing my kids experience things or places for the first time then doing it myself at times.

That why I prefaced it with probably, I agree that I get just as much enjoyment if not sometimes more from seeing my kids experience things than myself.

My comment was about comfort, not newness coming at the expense of a sense of adventure, so given you're driving a 79series, I'd expect you to still be enjoying the sense of adventure  ;D