Author Topic: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - Scratched the Y61 Patrol off the list  (Read 48242 times)

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
Re: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - Prado vs Patrol
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
Thanks guys.
My turboed 1HZ still struggles with the CT up hills a bit. It goes so much better since the turbo but I wonder if there is really much difference in power between mine and the Nissan 3lt common rail.  I am happy with the power I have now, I just don't really want to go backwards in power with the new 4b.

The 4.2 turbo Patrols are expensive and overpriced like the Lancruiser 100 TD.  I was supposed to have a Patrol hire all next week while I am in Weipa but I think it is going to be a Landcruiser now.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:24:51 PM by muzza01 »

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - question for Patrol owners
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2017, 06:47:01 PM »
Thanks guys.
My turboed 1HZ still struggles with the CT up hills a bit. It goes so much better since the turbo but I wonder if there is really much difference in power between mine and the Nissan 3lt common rail.  I am happy with the power I have now, I just don't really want to go backwards in power with the new 4b.

The 4.2 turbo Patrols are expensive and overpriced like the Lancruiser 100 TD.  I was supposed to have a Patrol hire all next week while I am in Weipa but I think it is going to be a Landcruiser now.
i did a few trips with Mr Mac whilst we both towed our KK's...him in a 3ltr Patrol and me in my turbo intercooled 1HZ 105 series. Several times I recall asking over the uhf if he needed a push up the hill when I caught him....lol. I reckon you'll be disappointed if you get one, it won't be much different to what you have now and likely similar fuel usage.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »
i did a few trips with Mr Mac whilst we both towed our KK's...him in a 3ltr Patrol and me in my turbo intercooled 1HZ 105 series. Several times I recall asking over the uhf if he needed a push up the hill when I caught him....lol. I reckon you'll be disappointed if you get one, it won't be much different to what you have now and likely similar fuel usage.
I reckon you have more boost than mine ;)

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2017, 08:14:18 PM »
I guess my big question is "why are you changing"

If you are concerned about the state of wear of your vehicle then that is the crucial element.

If you want something faster then forget the Patrol.

BUT the hills are no steeper the speed limits are no higher.  I think we have just about hit the diminishing marginal returns for expenditure for new 4WDs

If we all tow 2 or 3 tons rather than 1.5 then buy a 200 Landcruiser (or a  https://www.iveco.com.au/product/daily-4-x-4)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »
I reckon you have more boost than mine ;)
can't recall what it was set at, but was nothing special. The 3" exhaust made a differance, and the intercooler made a difference again power wise. I never got it dyno'd, but seat of the pants I noticed straight away a power gain with the intercooler fitted. In hindsight I should have just 1HDFTE'd the thing instead of adding all that fear to a 1HZ, would have been a much better option.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »
I guess my big question is "why are you changing"

If you are concerned about the state of wear of your vehicle then that is the crucial element.

If you want something faster then forget the Patrol.

BUT the hills are no steeper the speed limits are no higher.  I think we have just about hit the diminishing marginal returns for expenditure for new 4WDs

If we all tow 2 or 3 tons rather than 1.5 then buy a 200 Landcruiser (or a  https://www.iveco.com.au/product/daily-4-x-4)
I aimed to get close to 10 years from this Cruza, had the last Cruza for ten also.  I just want to spend a lot of time on research before buying. I do love the 200 but my budget will just buy problems.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »
can't recall what it was set at, but was nothing special. The 3" exhaust made a differance, and the intercooler made a difference again power wise. I never got it dyno'd, but seat of the pants I noticed straight away a power gain with the intercooler fitted. In hindsight I should have just 1HDFTE'd the thing instead of adding all that fear to a 1HZ, would have been a much better option.

you just wanna copy the hog........ ;D ;D ;D ;D

And then you still would have sold it for the ute  :D :D :D
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »

you just wanna copy the hog........ ;D ;D ;D ;D

And then you still would have sold it for the ute  :D :D :D
seriously looked at doing it but price was reciculous to get someone else doing the job, they were 10K cheaper to do when he did it...couldn't justify spending $25K on an old vehicle to lob in an engine that already had 200K on it, hence bought a new fourby instead.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2017, 07:38:35 PM »
I know you've discounted the Prado but what about something like that or a Pajero in a petrol model.

The price of diesel these days and better power of petrol is making me seriously consider whether I will go another diesel 4by.

:cheers:

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 06:23:38 AM »
I know you've discounted the Prado but what about something like that or a Pajero in a petrol model.

The price of diesel these days and better power of petrol is making me seriously consider whether I will go another diesel 4by.

:cheers:
I would consider  petrol 200 series. They might be more affordable in 12 months. 

When buying a car I need to really like or appreciate the vehicle and not just buy what is practical.  I just don't like Pajeros at all, and couldn't imagine spending Mu hard earned on something I didn't like.

I should have another look at the Prado as the one I drove was a 120s. I will test drive the 150s and compare them. Thanks for the tip

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2017, 03:31:29 PM »
Me and the Mrs took quite a few 4bs for a test drive today.  If going for a twin can ute, the BT50 and Ranger was nice, more bells and whistles than the Hilux SR5 but the Hilux handled better for me.

Drove a couple of Patrols and 150 Prado's.  Without a doubt the Prado was a clear winner over the Patrol. Prado had more power, acceleration was much more responsive.  Prado was quieter and much more comfortable.   The Prado is smaller than both our current Landcruiser and the Patrol but our kids are all grown up now and I think the Prado is big enough for the two of us.

Question for the Prado owners, are the a capable towing vehicle? Would the tow a medium size caravan?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - liked the Prado
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2017, 03:36:39 PM »
Question for the Prado owners, are the a capable towing vehicle? Would the tow a medium size caravan?

Yup you know it is on the back but it does it fine. Keeping the caravan gtm under 2500Kg is sometimes a problem to keep it legal. All depends on you definition of 'medium size' caravan.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2017, 04:32:15 PM »
Yup you know it is on the back but it does it fine. Keeping the caravan gtm under 2500Kg is sometimes a problem to keep it legal. All depends on you definition of 'medium size' caravan.
Yeah 2500kg was the max I was thinking

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »
I would consider  petrol 200 series. They might be more affordable in 12 months. 

When buying a car I need to really like or appreciate the vehicle and not just buy what is practical.  I just don't like Pajeros at all, and couldn't imagine spending Mu hard earned on something I didn't like.

I should have another look at the Prado as the one I drove was a 120s. I will test drive the 150s and compare them. Thanks for the tip
I'd stay away from the older 200s. Not convinced they are reliable enough. Had my 2007 petrol model for a bit over a year now.  in that time, one  knock sensor has died which messes with the advance and the auto changes , cd player died, centre diff lock and 4lo light has been flashing on within increasing frequency, which could be the 4wd actuator going faulty, brakes are now gripping unevenly - hoping the discs aren't warped (a common Toyota problem a prado owner at work tells me.) The Lexus donk is pretty sweet on the occasions when it is working well though.  I think I will be returning to Nissan next changeover.

sent from Earth via tapatalk

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2017, 07:07:51 PM »
I recon ya mad.
Keep the old girl I recon.
Its simple,buy an old crappa to drive for a few months, get the better 151 kw donk out of a 100 series write off complete car, fill a garden shed with spares from it and sell the rest, fit the interior of yours with better furniture (GXL gear fits real easy, happy to show you). Sell ya running turboed 1HZ.
Fit all the go faster gear into your 105 from the 100. almost 50% more power.
Get the 105 on the road.
Sell the crappa.

Sorted, yep, it took some time, but, look at the shed time you just scored.....  ;D

You can thank me later.  :cheers:
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2017, 07:39:32 PM »
I recon ya mad.
Keep the old girl I recon.
Its simple,buy an old crappa to drive for a few months, get the better 151 kw donk out of a 100 series write off complete car, fill a garden shed with spares from it and sell the rest, fit the interior of yours with better furniture (GXL gear fits real easy, happy to show you). Sell ya running turboed 1HZ.
Fit all the go faster gear into your 105 from the 100. almost 50% more power.
Get the 105 on the road.
Sell the crappa.

Sorted, yep, it took some time, but, look at the shed time you just scored.....  ;D

You can thank me later.  :cheers:

If I had $36k to spend, I'd be buying something I want already done. Stuff the 'shed time', I want more camping time😀
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2017, 07:48:21 PM »
Oh, well if ya gonna be sensible about it then, how about selling the 105 and get the 100 series.
More GeGees, no overheating hassels.
Best bit.
It aint a Nissan or Mums Taxi  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm gonna run away now
2013 Expanda OB

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »
Here's one for you selling in Townsville. 330rw kW. Bit of a weapon. Need your own KC-135 for refuelling when  touring though. Wants $43k ! He has spent a motza on it.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2017, 05:38:40 AM »
I'd stay away from the older 200s. Not convinced they are reliable enough. Had my 2007 petrol model for a bit over a year now.  in that time, one  knock sensor has died which messes with the advance and the auto changes , cd player died, centre diff lock and 4lo light has been flashing on within increasing frequency, which could be the 4wd actuator going faulty, brakes are now gripping unevenly - hoping the discs aren't warped (a common Toyota problem a prado owner at work tells me.) The Lexus donk is pretty sweet on the occasions when it is working well though.  I think I will be returning to Nissan next changeover.

Yep, don't want too old or too many kms if it was a 200.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2017, 05:40:14 AM »
Oh, well if ya gonna be sensible about it then, how about selling the 105 and get the 100 series.
More GeGees, no overheating hassels.
Best bit.
It aint a Nissan or Mums Taxi  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm gonna run away now
It is a tuff decision Dave. I have plenty of time to think about it.

Offline Roo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Is hitting the road Jack.
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2017, 07:12:39 AM »
I looked at 200s for a minute. ...then took a lookat the lexus version, the Lx570. Positives are- bigger 5.7L V8 petrol engine than the 200s 4.7. Looks pretty swank. Very plush appointments. Similar if not slightly cheaper than then equivalent 200s.
Downsides -petrol touring range and not sure if it "needs" premium fuel.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

[insert witty comment]

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »
A three litre Patrol with every performance mod done to it was very similar to my 105 series with turbo and intercooler etc.
regards
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2017, 08:03:07 AM »
Well I hav had a 2012 76 Cruza wagon as a hire car this week.  This model is affordable to me but it's not for me. The power is unreal, handling the sloppy, chewed up, corrogations and water around Mapoon was all tip top.

Driving on the blacktop... Loud, rattles and squeaks and basically much the same or similar seats, interior and dash as the old 75 series that came out in 1985.  I am a big fan of not fixing something that isn't broken but there have been some serious advancements made in the last 35 years and most have been ignored with the 76.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2017, 08:38:12 AM »
I recon you'll fit the same amount of gear in a 76 as you would in the playdo.
2013 Expanda OB

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2017, 10:32:54 AM »
I recon you'll fit the same amount of gear in a 76 as you would in the playdo.
yeah I reckon it is similar, when we drove the Prado's the other day we folded all the seats down to see how much storage we had.  Defo smaller than the 105s but surprisingly, a fair bit of room.    Pretty unusual for us to have passengers with us when we go camping so both middle and rear seats aren't required.