Author Topic: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - Scratched the Y61 Patrol off the list  (Read 48421 times)

Offline Moxley

• Tent User
you would be one of 100s...
With all 4wds becoming fancy shopping trolleys (its 90% of their target market) its getting hard to consider changing... There is certainly nothing that jumps out at me as an obvious replacement.

Sadly most hard tracks get dozed regularly these days and give it a decade and many of the out of the way places people love will be roads.

Next year though the JL Wrangler might be a good option, along with the V6 Ford Ranger.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Next year though the JL Wrangler might be a good option, along with the V6 Ford Ranger.
mmmmmmmmmmmm........... no thanks :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
mmmmmmmmmmmm........... no thanks :)

what he said...
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
I'm in the same boat. I love my 1HZ 105. And... while it's taken me around 500,000klm to accept it... I've become accustomed to the lack of power now. So that's not a biggie. But my next 4wd will probably have to last 15+ years...

Have you considered a 76 series wagon? I'd look at it as the heir apparent to the 105 series. Solid axles, tough, but with the V8 TD engine.

I mean... sure, it's not as "refined" or "luxurious" as a 200 series... But I figure, I'm in a 105 series now... (with manual window winders FFS) So even the 76 series should be an upgrade in comfort.

https://tinyurl.com/y7lzeb3l
Yep previously posted about a 76 threat I hired for a week. Power is good but that is it.  Not for me, I sure there are plenty of happy owners but I don't want to go that far backwards in comfort and niceties and noise.  :cheers:

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
You taking the pi55  :cheers:

Offline Moxley

• Tent User
You taking the pi55  :cheers:

Sort of, but on the other hand I think options are pretty limited, and it's generally in a sense is desperation that I hope for something better next year.

I'm also in the market for an upgrade from now on pretty much, but nothing quite fits the bill. I actually thought about a Triton to tide me over for a couple of years, but like you, I didn't warm to it either. Too small inside for one. I'm not too big either.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
plenty don't ever do it... although I think it would Shit me sand driving
with tyres deflated sufficiently, I don't have any issues on my 79 series. Is it noticeable...yep, is it a major issue...no. I find those who crow the loudest about them aren't owners most times. I'd happily do a conversion if someone wanted to pay for it for me, but it's not on my to do list any time soon due to the cost.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
Sort of, but on the other hand I think options are pretty limited, and it's generally in a sense is desperation that I hope for something better next year.

I'm also in the market for an upgrade from now on pretty much, but nothing quite fits the bill. I actually thought about a Triton to tide me over for a couple of years, but like you, I didn't warm to it either. Too small inside for one. I'm not too big either.
I agree options are limited for replacement.  The 4.2 diesel Patrols and Cruzas are just what I want.  Shits me they don't make them anymore and that the new v8s are so expensive. 

I know plenty of people love their Utes, Pajeros, Prado's, and others but for me this list doesn't do anything for me.  I know everyone is different, selfishly I am just thinking about me  :D

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
....... I know everyone is different, selfishly I am just thinking about me  :D

If that's the case muzz.......we're actually all the same...... ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
I am the same.......I am happy enough with the Prado but yearn for something else....and its not a 200 series. I am thinking at this point I will retire the Prado to the shed for beach work and trips to the bush and buy myself something fast for something different............just don't know what

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
Say like a
Y62,  put a super charger on and best of both worlds.
Not that u need the super charger, well that what the wife keeps telling me.
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
Camel Joe. Lol
Sorry Dude. I had a bit of a chuckle with misreading your user name thinking it was Camel toe. After a couple of more drinks I realised you were Camel Joe. Now that made me laugh with seeing I should really pay attention to find you are Joe. Call me Joe. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:19:05 PM by landbarge »

Offline callmejoe

• Soft Floor Camper User
Camel Joe. Lol
Sorry Dude. I had a bit of a chuckle with misreading your user name thinking it was Camel toe. After a couple of more drinks I realised you were Camel Joe. Now that made me laugh with seeing I should really pay attention to find you are Joe. Call me Joe. Thanks

I'm glad we could amuse. :cheers: Yr the 2nd to point that out.
But being me,  and seeing nothing wrong with seeing a amusing camel toe,  i thought why bother making a new name.
 :D
Life's wasn't meant to be fair.
Well so I've been told. ..

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
All in good fun eh

UIZ733

I'm glad we could amuse. :cheers: Yr the 2nd to point that out.
But being me,  and seeing nothing wrong with seeing a amusing camel toe,  i thought why bother making a new name.
 :D
How about Mumble-pants?

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Quote from: muzza01
I agree options are limited for replacement.  The 4.2 diesel Patrols and Cruzas are just what I want.  Shits me they don't make them anymore and that the new v8s are so expensive. 

I know plenty of people love their Utes, Pajeros, Prado's, and others but for me this list doesn't do anything for me.  I know everyone is different, selfishly I am just thinking about me  :D
Bingo on all points

Quote from: GeoffA
If that's the case muzz.......we're actually all the same...... ;D ;D
x eleventy
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
There is no ultimate with these Green machines anymore so it's just a matter of the best compromise you can find for your dough.
For me it was a low km 2015 Challenger if I wasn't to have a DPF and could get around the intake clogging without buying aging dramas and greasy hands. I'm past that Shit  :cheers:
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
Bingo on all points
x eleventy
Same here, this is why i still putt around in my ol isuzu powered rangie, nothing else ticks all the boxes, and if you spend $60+k, is it anymore capable? Its only going to get trashed to some degree anyway! Just keep on patching it up i say.

79 duel cab is the closest for me, but there is also so much i don't like about it too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
Just get a Y62!!

Hang some bling off the front and the butt ugly front bumper is history!

Hang a Kamar bar off the back to get rid of the rear bumper.

Install Andrew Cassars lift if it's a HBMC model then fit 35's and your away and probably with change in your back pocket compared to buying a 200series with similar km.

Complete Campsite Fraser XTE

2013 Nissan Patrol Y62 ST-L

Offline latestarter

• Tent User
PBurner .... I love your rig. It is definitely what I aspire to when time is right  :cheers:
The following users thanked this post: petrolburner

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
Just get a Y62!!

Install Andrew Cassars lift if it's a HBMC model then fit 35's and your away and probably with change in your back pocket compared to buying a 200series with similar km.

Very very nice.   :cup:
I need to take one for a wheel.  Not the fuel economy is big on my priority list but could you tell me how yours goes around town and also with a CT on the back.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Just get a Y62!!

I'd never get the miracle fuel figures people claim.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
I don't either and I don't think I claim them.

Consistently 13-15L/100km on the open road and around 20 with camper in tow up to 24 if pushing hard into strong winds doing above 115kph.

The series 3 models apparently have VVEL on the exhaust as well as intake and owners are claiming consistently better fuel figures than series 1 and 2 owners but I find 10L/100km a little far fetched as well!!

Interestingly towing my 2700kg wake boat didn't use much more fuel than towing my DRIFTA camper. But the drifta is the complete opposite of aerodynamic:) there are so many squared edges and protrusions to catch the wind, I always get better fuel use if directly into the wind than A side wind with the drifta
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:52:17 PM by petrolburner »

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
Very very nice.   :cup:
I need to take one for a wheel.  Not the fuel economy is big on my priority list but could you tell me how yours goes around town and also with a CT on the back.

My thread.....

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=44682.0

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
While the IHZ is slow it’s not the main reason for looking to change. For me the main reason for upgrading my 4WD’s is potential rust.
Just the other week I needed to attend to a spot around the windscreen and know in years to come it’s going to turn into a battle I won’t win.

Most of my 4WDing/Camping is on the beach, so all up I would estimate my car is on the beach an easy 6 weeks per year times 9 years I’ve owned it. While I’m pedantic about giving it multiple cleans after extended trips, just know after 7-14 days camping on the beach with a couple of kids/dog salt/sand gets into places I just can’t clean. 

I personally would by a 76/79 series cruiser as the power upfront cancels any suspension/rear diff length concerns. But my Wife who rarely comments on 4WDs did let me know these aren’t an option.