Author Topic: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - Scratched the Y61 Patrol off the list  (Read 48423 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Just clocked 10.6L/100 tootling around town in the 2015 Challenger with over 20000kms on it now. 2T of vehicle, no DPF, an electronic EGR delete and a 2.5L 4cyl diesel supposedly gutless with horrible turbo lag so you work it out from there with all the you beaut alternatives  :cheers:
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
You quite often hear people sprouting those or better figures for the grenade... I think a lot of people need a new calculator or one that doesn't seasonally adjust the figures..

You get the old rusty razor wire and conduit treatment on patrol forum if you doubt them.

Same with the petrol Y62.. some of the figures people claim would make a Toyota Yaris driver envious.

I think the only way to get accurate figures is how your doing it Muz - drive them yourself...

Thanks Mate.  Y62 is still on the list although havnt driven one yet. Can't quite afford one yet but a maybe in 12-18 months.
Just clocked 10.6L/100 tootling around town in the 2015 Challenger with over 20000kms on it now. 2T of vehicle, no DPF, an electronic EGR delete and a 2.5L 4cyl diesel supposedly gutless with horrible turbo lag so you work it out from there with all the you beaut alternatives  :cheers:
Thanks Mate. I had a Challenger hire car last year. From memory the fuel economy was Ok but nah, challenger is not my thing.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
Have you had a sniff around the nissan pathfinder?
We compared one to the playdoh, and I found being just over 6 ' I was far more comfy in one than the Paydoh. They have a lot more room inside and are the same size.
We went a different direction with a 2009 outlander, but still think of the pathfinder as a good vehicle.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:33:47 PM by DaveR »
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Thanks Mate. I had a Challenger hire car last year. From memory the fuel economy was Ok but nah, challenger is not my thing.
I went to school before calculators so that's a real figure and I roll along easy with the traffic so I suspect most will be getting 12-13L/100 around town particularly with DPFs and a heavier foot. I did get 8.65 solo across the Hay Plain bringing it home so with 10.6 urban we'll see how it goes towing 1200kg of Jayco. In that respect the 2L petrol Suzy 4speed auto (Challenger is auto too) would get around 10.5-11.5 towing but I've had 16 into a howler and below 9 running with one and that's where some of these owners can get creative with consumption figures. 
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
Have you had a sniff around the nissan pathfinder?
We compared one to the playdoh, and I found being just over 6 ' I was far more comfy in one than the Paydoh. They have a lot more room inside and are the same size.
We went a different direction with a 2009 outlander, but still think of the pathfinder as a good vehicle.
Dave, I am going to sit on my Cruza for a little bit longer but I think it will come down to 2006/07 1HDTFTE Cruza, 200 Cruza or perhaps Y62 which I havnt actually driven yet.

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
I've had the Y62 for 18 months. Fantastic.

Uses less fuel than the chipped CRD GU towing a 1.8t camper. Comfort, performance and safety beyond anything for the same money. 2nd hand values are also holding up well according to the user group (actual prices rather than advertised)

Lots of accessories (lifts, bars, tyres, supercharger! Etc etc) available locally and overseas.

But as others have said, if you don't want to buy one, don't go for a test drive :)

I went and looked at the Y62 last week
The salesman told me that I can't put bullbar/ lift/ rear bar /larger tyres on it due to the radar/sonar stuff?
Said they had discontinued the model you could do that to?
Was he incorrect?
Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...

AdrianLR

I went and looked at the Y62 last week
The salesman told me that I can't put bullbar/ lift/ rear bar /larger tyres on it due to the radar/sonar stuff?
Said they had discontinued the model you could do that to?
Was he incorrect?
Completely wrong. If you're on Facebook then get into the Y62 group. Heaps of real user info.
A random pic from posts today as an example.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
They do look nice with a bit of jewellery on them....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
Completely wrong. If you're on Facebook then get into the Y62 group. Heaps of real user info.
A random pic from posts today as an example.

Cheers for that. I had completely ruled them out after that convo with the sales dude.
I'll have a closer look.
Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
That sort of talk is the start of an upgrade or a big brother for the GU

GG

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
That sort of talk is the start of an upgrade or a big brother for the GU

They look very nice, but not THAT nice.... ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
I hate bloody know nuffink car salesman. They have such a huge important role to society...cockroaches. I am dealing with 3 atm. One guy didn't know what a rear diff lock was. POS wasted my time for 2hrs to low ball a 1/2 price wholesale figure. Another bloke tried to sell me a car with mould all over the seats. Tries to tell me it was from the cleaning. I  was there 2 days before and smelled dirty water...
The remaining guy seems to be a solid guy. End of rant

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:47:16 PM by landbarge »

AdrianLR

I hate bloody know nuffink car salesman.

Nissan created its own problems with the Y62 by only allowing certain dealers to sell it initially. Of course the guys who didn't get a go just rubbished it.

And after you get through Sales you get to the Service Dept:

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
No no no. I said end of rant. I will not be toyed with like your play thing... That has me twitching. John Cadogan has a lot to answer for.😉

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
They certainly do.  Need all the help they can get though.

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
They certainly do.  Need all the help they can get though.
The cruisers and patrols are all butt ugly these days. Then Lexus takes the 200series and hits it with the ugly stick some more!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Nissan created its own problems with the Y62 by only allowing certain dealers to sell it initially. Of course the guys who didn't get a go just rubbished it.

And after you get through Sales you get to the Service Dept:

someone, somewhere is high fiving that they got the pic through!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
Transmission braking. No? 😆

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
I too am looking at upgrading from my 105 1HZ cruiser next year, so glad I’m not the only one who is miffed about what to get next. It has been a fantastic and comfortable car as I’ve always felt confident/safe when 4WDing, but it’s lack of power is slowly wearing me down.

If I could I would buy a 200 series TTD, but even for $60K I can only get a 7 year old car with 200 000 + Kms.

New 150 Prado, like mentioned before they have poor visibility from the driver’s seat and not that much room in the back. Lack of room in the back also excludes all the other medium sized wagons.

Pajaro – I think they are capable, but unsure it’s for me.

Y61 Patrol – Again I’m sure they are capable, but don’t like Nissan (Past bad experience)

Utes are practical, but not sure if I want to go back to being bounced around again, but may have no option

Ranger – Possible

New Hilux -  Very Possible

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
I too am looking at upgrading from my 105 1HZ cruiser next year, so glad I’m not the only one who is miffed about what to get next. It has been a fantastic and comfortable car as I’ve always felt confident/safe when 4WDing, but it’s lack of power is slowly wearing me down.

If I could I would buy a 200 series TTD, but even for $60K I can only get a 7 year old car with 200 000 + Kms.

I'm in the same boat. I love my 1HZ 105. And... while it's taken me around 500,000klm to accept it... I've become accustomed to the lack of power now. So that's not a biggie. But my next 4wd will probably have to last 15+ years...

Have you considered a 76 series wagon? I'd look at it as the heir apparent to the 105 series. Solid axles, tough, but with the V8 TD engine.

I mean... sure, it's not as "refined" or "luxurious" as a 200 series... But I figure, I'm in a 105 series now... (with manual window winders FFS) So even the 76 series should be an upgrade in comfort.

https://tinyurl.com/y7lzeb3l

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:55:55 AM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
Don't forget the extra money you will be up for the new rear axle and coil uprade.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
Don't forget the extra money you will be up for the new rear axle and coil uprade.

yeh, but do you *need* that conversion done up front? Or could you drive for a year or three and then have it done?

I'd like an auto box too, but I know what they cost as well.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Quote from: MuruCycles
yeh, but do you *need* that conversion done up front? Or could you drive for a year or three and then have it done?
plenty don't ever do it... although I think it would Shit me sand driving
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline jfella

• Tent User

New 150 Prado, like mentioned before they have poor visibility from the driver’s seat and not that much room in the back. Lack of room in the back also excludes all the other medium sized wagons.

Pajaro – I think they are capable, but unsure it’s for me.

Y61 Patrol – Again I’m sure they are capable, but don’t like Nissan (Past bad experience)

Utes are practical, but not sure if I want to go back to being bounced around again, but may have no option

Ranger – Possible

New Hilux -  Very Possible

I agree the new utes are worth a second look as the ride, while not in the wagon class yet, is improving and can be adjusted to suit individual preferences and loads for not too much money.  I have been in an Amarok now for a few years and the ride is not too far off the NT Pajero I had before but the space difference (with canopy) is huge.  The Ranger and Hilux are two of the most popular utes and I reckon both would be worth taking for a drive before you rule the utes out.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Quote from: Beachman
I too am looking at upgrading from my 105 1HZ cruiser next year, so glad I’m not the only one who is miffed about what to get next.
you would be one of 100s...
With all 4wds becoming fancy shopping trolleys (its 90% of their target market) its getting hard to consider changing... There is certainly nothing that jumps out at me as an obvious replacement.

Sadly most hard tracks get dozed regularly these days and give it a decade and many of the out of the way places people love will be roads.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home