Author Topic: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - Scratched the Y61 Patrol off the list  (Read 48265 times)

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
Re: Shopping for 2nd hand 4wd in 2018 - liked the Prado
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2017, 05:40:50 PM »
Don't make me research stuff before I relay pub talk.

Just to keep the tradition of hijacking a thread alive, I vote for Landbarge in the "Quote of the year awards" for this fine effort.   :cup:
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline lincolnland

• Tent User
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2017, 05:48:51 PM »
Fuel consumption of the 4.8 is always a concern. Such a weapon though. I don't do big grand tours. The fuel use is only an extra few l per hundred over my cruiser. I still may end up in a dual cab ranger. They aren't without compromises neither. Still,  it's getting Atilla all tarted up for sale to see what I can afford. Shopping now is a bit cart before the horse. A friend had 60l per hundred towing a loaded boat through Fraser Island with 4.5 80 seriers. That was his tipping point. He is in an Amarok now.

Below is a bloke from Perth. I reckon he gets more chicks than l per hundred lol

https://youtu.be/BBzWVqJcL1Q

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
RB30 in the engine bay? Hows the boost coming up on that thing. Awesomeness

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
Hi Bird, For shore there must be doggey jobs out there, The bloke that done theres is around Nambour and has done quite a few of them now all still going I belive, Would I do it no way, My old 80 1HZ is all I need for a couple more years yet, then I Mite up grade to an auto factory Turbo one day, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2017, 06:54:57 PM »
Quote from: Craig Tomkinson
...  done quite a few of them now all still going I believe

... no they aren't  :-[
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2017, 06:57:29 PM »
RB30 in the engine bay? Hows the boost coming up on that thing. Awesomeness
Turbo 4.8l. All fast parts from uae. Car is well known over here.

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
Just to keep the tradition of hijacking a thread alive, I vote for Landbarge in the "Quote of the year awards" for this fine effort.   :cup:
Ha ha I am humbled and honoured by the nomination.

Offline Paddy16

• Swag User
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2017, 07:55:13 AM »
I love reading this topic. I would be in a similar shopping situation in the future but the more I read the more I love my GQ Patrol for it's simplicity. Its not a daily driver so when it hits the road it works and does it well. Friends have a Prado Kakadu and it makes the kids carsick and unless fully laden rides like a barge.

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2017, 11:04:20 AM »
Now I know I'm on the brink of causing trouble with this, BUT
Is it just me, or am I seeing the 200's going for similar or less $ then a 100 series?
Could there be a reason for this?
Not looking at the petrol 200's are you? Those go dirt cheap second hand - easily 1/2 the price of the diesels

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2017, 10:04:38 PM »
4.8 litres you say? Real men get rid of the decimal points   :4x4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-jezu7sBp0
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2017, 11:55:52 PM »
Rod Hadfield built a special, just to prove you could.
I know your gunna call it a hi-jack.
Blame Prodigy, ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIj2GVfua84
Chevy with a v12 Merlin, road registered.
They said it was impossible, and that's what started it all.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2017, 05:59:55 AM »
That was orsome Cruiser 105Tvan, Thanks for sharing, that made my day Amazing, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
I had a 12 month old Y61 Patrol ST as a hire car this week in Weipa area.  It was Ok, nice to drive, fairly comfortable, fairly quiet.  But...my 2003 Cruza seemed to have the same power, was more comfortable to drive and quieter.  I know it's not fair to compare a modified Cruza to a stock Patrol but I wasn't really impressed.

It was defo nicer to drive than the 2010 and 2011 Patrols we took for a tar drive a couple of months ago.  Price wise the Patrol is so much cheaper than an equivalent Cruza but I can understand why.

I might have to take a Y62 Patrol for a drive.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
I had a 12 month old Y61 Patrol ST as a hire car this week in Weipa area.  It was Ok, nice to drive, fairly comfortable, fairly quiet.  But...my 2003 Cruza seemed to have the same power, was more comfortable to drive and quieter.  I know it's not fair to compare a modified Cruza to a stock Patrol but I wasn't really impressed.

It was defo nicer to drive than the 2010 and 2011 Patrols we took for a tar drive a couple of months ago.  Price wise the Patrol is so much cheaper than an equivalent Cruza but I can understand why.

Y61 3.0.. apparently you can get them to go reasonable with a chip, exhaust, and NADS.

I've got a Mitz Outlander this week as a hire car in Sydney, very disappointing as it was "sir, your entitled to a free upgrade from a Hyuandi"..
It has a bigger flat spot than the Nullabour, and a larger dead spot than Harold Holt off the line... I think it would struggle to tow an empty box trailer.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline landbarge

• Soft Floor Camper User
I myself, would be on the y62 like a fat chick on a cup cake. Too much munnies for me as I struggle to live within my means. I will be looking at Pajeros to replace my mighty steed.

Offline Moxley

• Tent User

The Y62 people will say don't do that unless you're prepared to buy one, because you won't be able to get it out of your mind.

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website

I've got a Mitz Outlander this week as a hire car in Sydney, very disappointing as it was "sir, your entitled to a free upgrade from a Hyuandi"..
It has a bigger flat spot than the Nullabour, and a larger dead spot than Harold Holt off the line... I think it would struggle to tow an empty box trailer.

Yeah, gotta watch those 'free upgrades'. I reckon it's to keep the kms up on the cars that no-one wants to hire. 
 Had the same joy one time with an 'upgrade' to a Jeep Compass. One of the worst cars I've ever driven.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
if you need a bit mor power, how about this Cruiser
1490kW Toyota LandCruiser

http://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/1490kw-toyota-landcruiser-is-world%E2%80%99s-fastest-suv/ar-BBARV7d
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

AdrianLR

I've had the Y62 for 18 months. Fantastic.

Uses less fuel than the chipped CRD GU towing a 1.8t camper. Comfort, performance and safety beyond anything for the same money. 2nd hand values are also holding up well according to the user group (actual prices rather than advertised)

Lots of accessories (lifts, bars, tyres, supercharger! Etc etc) available locally and overseas.

But as others have said, if you don't want to buy one, don't go for a test drive :)

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
if you need a bit mor power, how about this Cruiser
1490kW Toyota LandCruiser

http://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/1490kw-toyota-landcruiser-is-world%E2%80%99s-fastest-suv/ar-BBARV7d

Seen that one. Nuts isn't it

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz
The Y62 people will say don't do that unless you're prepared to buy one, because you won't be able to get it out of your mind.

Yeah I know, they are still out of my budget, maybe in a year or two.

I am not so much trying to find something with more power (although I would expect it coming from a 2003 vehicle) I am trying to find something of at least equivalent comfort value or better.

Worst thing with the Y61'was the fuel consumption. 36lts for 207 kms travelled.  I actually mentioned to the hire car company that perhaps the last driver didn't quite fill the Patrol.  She said no, the fuel and while vehicle is checked over when returned.  I said well old mate forgot to top up the windscreen washer resovoir because it was dead empty. 

Can't believe the fuel consumption out of 207 kms, 140km was on dirt but in the road was beautiful and I sat on 110kmph most of that.  The rest of the 67 kms was just driving around Weipa averaging between 50-80 kmph.  Doesn't make sense.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User

Doesn't make sense.

Curb weight of 2.5 ton, powered by a 3L 4 cylinder.......

AdrianLR

Can't believe the fuel consumption out of 207 kms, 140km was on dirt but in the road was beautiful and I sat on 110kmph most of that.  The rest of the 67 kms was just driving around Weipa averaging between 50-80 kmph.  Doesn't make sense.

Below 100 consumption was ok but got much worse as soon as speed went up. Combination of mass, brick-like aerodynamics, three and a half speed auto and small, old diesel.

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
    • Photobucket Muz

Curb weight of 2.5 ton, powered by a 3L 4 cylinder.......

Yeah I get that Kyle but 17.5 lts per 100 out of a turbo diesel 2015/16 4b at 2.5T vs 14.5 Lts  per 100 out of a 2003 turbo diesel 4b at nearly 3.0T? I honestly thought the Patrol would have been chewing 10-11 Lts.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User

Yeah I get that Kyle but 17.5 lts per 100 out of a turbo diesel 2015/16 4b at 2.5T vs 14.5 Lts  per 100 out of a 2003 turbo diesel 4b at nearly 3.0T? I honestly thought the Patrol would have been chewing 10-11 Lts.

Fair call.  Although it is essentially the same old 3L, but with 13 years of diesel emission development choking it.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Quote from: muzza01
I honestly thought the Patrol would have been chewing 10-11 Lts.
You quite often hear people sprouting those or better figures for the grenade... I think a lot of people need a new calculator or one that doesn't seasonally adjust the figures..

You get the old rusty razor wire and conduit treatment on patrol forum if you doubt them.

Same with the petrol Y62.. some of the figures people claim would make a Toyota Yaris driver envious.

I think the only way to get accurate figures is how your doing it Muz - drive them yourself...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home