Author Topic: dropdown fridge slides  (Read 33457 times)

Offline RainmanWA

• Swag User
Re: dropdown fridge slides
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »
These were the ones

http://www.engelaustralia.com.au/cgi-bin/product.cgi?item_id=tdb530&item_string=&category=Fridge%20Accessories&sub_category=Tie%20Down%20Brackets

they may also help with the fouling of the handle as it will keep the straps closer to the fridge. I am with Jules i like turnbuckles, never loosen.

Ive already got some of them, I think those larger brackets are for use when you remove the handles completely. I tried fitting them when I was using the Engel slide but I couldnt work out how to attach them and retain the the handles.

Engel also supply a smaller bracket that fits underneath the handle so you are still able to retain the handles but use a turnbuckle and thats what I was using before the dropslide. My fridge is only in the vehicle when travelling, most of the time its a beer fridge in the house so the handles are still needed when moving it in and out of the vehicle.

While installing the drop down slide I started to realise that it is probably intended to be used for permanent setups and not the part time use I had in mind. If using it permanently I guess the price is a little more justifiable.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
dropdown fridge slides
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2012, 07:34:01 PM »
I think you'll find they are to use with the handles, they are the funny shape to loop up and clear the bag?
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline RainmanWA

• Swag User
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
I think you'll find they are to use with the handles, they are the funny shape to loop up and clear the bag?

Interesting. Try as I might I just couldnt work out how to attach them with the handles and just assumed they were used when you didnt need a handle.

This is what I was using with the Engel slide. I still might give them a go with the drop slide and see what happens. As long as I dont overtighten hopefully I can go back to using the turnbuckles.

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
I want a drop down slide and will mount on top of a floor i'll make for the back of the Paj..... i have been slightly concerned at the leverage exerted on the floor at full extension on the slide though, anyone had any failures in that regard?
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »
I want a drop down slide and will mount on top of a floor i'll make for the back of the Paj..... i have been slightly concerned at the leverage exerted on the floor at full extension on the slide though, anyone had any failures in that regard?

I think if your floor is plywood and you bolt through it will be all good. Only problem will be the leverage exerted on your wallet.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
Mine is bolted through the top shelf of my outback drawers. I put some aluminium strips on the underside as well that the bolts go through. I have not had any issues and while cooking etc if we are in and out of the fridge regularly we just leave the slide out.
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »
Jimmy- nice one re the wallet.... im looking second hand though, needless to say, still pretty excy..

LC- good idea re strengthening the penetrations with some metal strip or similar
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2013, 06:43:02 AM »
Anything that spreads the load for the mounting point should be Ok - Large washers etc - the bigger the better.

Also, the gas struts help to lessen the pressure.

Just make sure that you have enough clearance when the slide is extended to be able to drop it properly  - sometimes you have to mount the slide too far in [to allow the doors to close] then can't drop it!

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Dice

• Swag User
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »

Black Widow are about to release their own drop down fridge slide   
Black Widow Easy Slide with Ron Moon

not sure on cost but looks well made and I like the idea of locking it at different heights. Cheers Dice
2013 BT50 GT Auto, 2013 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline Mattsglxr

• Tent User
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2016, 08:20:21 AM »
I thought I would give some feedback on my MSA dropslide. After a recent weekend away I got home to find that the little blue slide catch had fallen off. It had sheared the bolt off that it swivels on. Anyway I sent MSA an email asking the best way that I could replace the bolt and they said that they would ship out a brand new slide for me to bolt in. How good is that!!! It's great to see a company stand behind it's product like that and I was very impressed.

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2016, 06:06:53 PM »
I have an MSA and I am very pleased with it but for one annoying aspect. It rattles particularly of course on rough roads.

Can't seem to quiten it.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
might be handy for some..