Author Topic: Looking at Insurance  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
Looking at Insurance
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
Howdy all,

Just a quick bit of info for you all that i found when shopping for my insurance for the new hard floor to come.

I called a few providers and found that CIL and GIO were pretty much on par. I am a GIO customer for everything (cars, house, contents, the old camper) so i figured they would be good as well. As mentioned i had them for the old camper too.

anyway, getting closer i need to get the poilicy sorted, called GIO back to get a firmer quote.

the guy i spoke with mentioned that the original quote was setup as a box trailer, not a camper trailer, he updated that and then the policy reduced by just over $100/year. the value hadn't changed at all, apart from the excess being $200 now instead of $50.

i know of one other member who had this same discussion and saved money too.

maybe something for you all to look at.

dan
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Looking at Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »
After discussing this with Dan recently, found that GIO had given me an incorrect quote for my new Camper Trailer as they had listed it as a box trailer. Result, a saving of $110.
Wonder how many other insurance companies have quoted the wrong thing
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)

Offline Crosslander

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 10:48:59 AM »
Seems weird a  camper trailer is cheaper to insure than a plain old box trailer..... I would have thought more risk of theft. Perhaps offset by some peoples stupidity in what they load into/onto box trailers and the state (ie rust/bearings etc) a lot let their box trailer get into??

Lol intended to post a you-tube video to highlight - couldn't find one but found this instead (sorry for the partial highjack) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIq0yw_AvlY&feature=related

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:24:17 AM »
Seems weird a  camper trailer is cheaper to insure than a plain old box trailer.....
I also find it hard to believe you could insure a box trailer for $10-20,000....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:27:23 AM »
they had no problem insuring my "box trailer" for $43k
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:28:27 AM »
they had no problem insuring my "box trailer" for $43k

might try and insure my old $200 one for $40k and leave it with a DO NOT TAKE sign on it out the front of work :)

The reason its cheaper is box trailers would be more frequently stolen, V camper trailers. So since they think its a box, up goes the premium
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:03:10 PM »
I also find it hard to believe you could insure a box trailer for $10-20,000....

They were ready to insure my almost delivered 'box' trailer for just under $40k.
I'm sure half the people you deal with at insurance companies wouldn't know what you are trying to insure most of the time. Surely you think there would be some limit on their systems for box trailers as I'd like to see a $40k box trailer.
Maybe they need to re-define what a box trailer & camper trailer is as I'm sure I mentioned annex, kitchen, queen size bed when I was getting quotes
cheers
Pete

2014 200 Series TTD V8 Land Cruiser VX with quite a few extras.
2015 Lotus Freelander 19'6" caravan. (Previously Complete Campsite Uluru XT 16 camper trailer)