Author Topic: Trying foods for camping  (Read 11370 times)

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Trying foods for camping
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »
When I think deb the main thing that comes to mind is a story a good mate of mine told me. A few years back he went camping for about 5 days with a boke who had deb every day and didn't do a No.2 the whole time. Once he got home the bloke would literally have been sh*ting bricks.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
We found the kids HATED the "Deb" Mash, we went on to try the Aldi version of it & the kids love it.  Its not gloop & has a very nice buttery taste.  I was dead against it until we tried the aldi one,  I hate the Deb too so can understand the kids hatred of it.

Aldi mash, with a couple of snags & some onion gravy is an awesome quick meal
So I went shopping today and got some Aldi to try. I did not make it as stated (used about 3/4 of the water)
We all agreed while not perfect it was much better and edible.
Strange how all that works.
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
We heat up a tin of corn beef and stir it in with the Debs mash for a quick and easy meal.
We also do a fair few rice and pastas in a bag thingys...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline bungie

• Sleeping Bag User
    • Satellite Phone rental
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 05:12:20 PM »
We take multiple 1 litre packs of the Paul's long life milk, not to bad a taste and I'm hypersensitive to milk turning. Keep it in the pantry until the night before needed then into the fridge overnight.

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
1/.  We use  2 minute noodles...mixed with cooked frozen vegies and any meat product...
2/. Canned food,  various types, meat and veg etc...from Aldi, good value and filling.

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »
We always use the roadside F&V stalls & only buy enough for what we need, it's fresher, last's longer, tastes Better & supports the local economy can't remember the last time i had Deb.

Offline Marie_R

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »
Getting back to your original worry about quarantine regulations with fruit and veg ...

When we can't carry fresh vegetables, I use instant mash (various brands including Deb) and just add the water, etc, until I get the consistency and flavour I like.

The other thing I do is make good thick vegetable soups, freeze in meal-size serves, then cryovac.  Some nights just have a bowl of soup then the meat in bread rolls, or wrapped in Mountain Bread instead of ordinary meat & veg meals.  Or I stir the instant mash potato through the soup and serve it up as 'bubble & squeak'.  You can also throw spoon-fulls of this mixture onto the frypan or BBQ plate to make a kind of hash brown.  I told the grandchildren they're "special camping vegetables".  It's got it's own flavour, so don't try and compare it to the taste of freshly cooked vegetables.  If the children will eat it, it makes an easy meal.

Blanching and then cryovac packing vegetables is also an acceptable way to carry them and not contravene the quarantine regulations.  But be guided by your user manual as some vegetables do not keep well packed this way - they give off gases and spoil.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 03:53:11 PM »
Why don't you utilise the info available from the Government, by visiting their Domestic Quarantine Website?  It's what I'd do to be prepared for an interstate trip, which in turn, will help save you money because you don't have to surrender things.  

That way you will know exactly what you can and can't take from one state to another, and whether you will need to bother with Deb Potato or anything dried for that matter.

Support the Local communities you visit by Buying Local.

I remember going from NT to WA a few years ago, they even checked my puppies feet for Nagura Burr (?spelling?) and took our fresh herbs and potatoes.  If I'd known before I went, what they would take, then we could have eaten more of these items with our meal a night or two before.  If your wife is doing a meal plan for the trip, then she'll know what will be required in the pantry before you go and what you need to purchase as you go through towns along the way.  

Kit_e
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:00:39 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Chris J

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My OKA - 166
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 07:59:56 AM »
Check out this site http://easymeals.net.au/
Chaos, Panic, Disorder - My work is done here.

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 12:12:03 PM »
oh come on .... Deb and creamed rice are the only reasons i go camping . ;D

Craig

Offline POD

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just get out there!
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 04:50:42 PM »
Now, you see, I like my creamed rice ON Deb....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 05:19:08 PM by POD »
"Never trust an internet quote." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »
We heat up a tin of corn beef and stir it in with the Debs mash for a quick and easy meal.
We also do a fair few rice and pastas in a bag thingys...
Bill and Morag

Now that sounds nice.
 Bully beef and deb. I'll give that a run
Living the Dream.

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 09:02:34 AM »
So I went shopping today and got some Aldi to try. I did not make it as stated (used about 3/4 of the water)
We all agreed while not perfect it was much better and edible.
Strange how all that works.
Regards
Crisp Image

Try with all the water & let it stand for 2 mins.  The standing does make a difference.

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
"deb does mash" now that sounds like a good title for a mix between a tv series of the korean war and ........
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 04:50:10 PM »
Kit_e...took your herbs? WTF? I mean, they're not likely to be carrying fruit fly now are they?  ???

Sometimes I really wonder if we're living in the same country together...

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 04:43:29 PM »
Kit_e...took your herbs? WTF? I mean, they're not likely to be carrying fruit fly now are they?  ???
Sometimes I really wonder if we're living in the same country together...

We had some chillies and some rosemary or parsley I believe.  I think they check your vehicles for Cane Toads now on the WA border.  Like we'd be carrying those!!  LOL!  Yep, just having a (poisonous) cane toad stew for dinner.   ;D

Same country ... yes ... same rules never!!

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline 4runnernomore

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 07:22:09 PM »
Yep
WA border is a bit of a pain.  We have a camp for work near Timber Creek in the NT.

all refuse contracts are on the NT side. Although it would be cheper to get a contract out of Kununurra you can't transport domestic waste over the border.  This also applies for a lot of food stuffs. Fresh produce can come from Kununarra to tTImber Creek however you can't sned back the empties.

You also need to be careful if you are using empty food boxes for storage. You may loose them at the border.

Cheers Chris

Offline Travln

• Swag User
    • Our Travel Blog
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 11:28:07 AM »
Why don't you utilise the info available from the Government, by visiting their Domestic Quarantine Website?  It's what I'd do to be prepared for an interstate trip, which in turn, will help save you money because you don't have to surrender things.  

Wow! I just checked out that website - I had no idea that there were so many restrictions on crossing borders.  We are planning a big trip around Australia and I am sure I would have lost lots of food if I did not know about this (I have kids on restricted diets so most of our food is cooked from fresh ingredients - not much packaged food for this family and definitely no Deb - full of chemicals!)   Will have to check out what fresh food is available to purchase just across each border so I can stock up again as soon as we cross each border.
Toyota Landcruiser Turbo Diesel with The Works,
2011 Jayco Expanda Outback 18.57-9
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/travln/1/tpod.html

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »
Just before eating Deb mash stir a little french mustard through, gives deb some zing :cup:

Disco.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.