Author Topic: MDC campers and vans.  (Read 15457 times)

Offline Chappie

• Tent User
Re: MDC campers and vans.
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 01:46:32 PM »
As the DOM is 2012 not sure how much use the 2 deep cycle batteries will be?

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2018, 04:21:20 PM »
didnt know they copied made them in 2012

Date of Manufacture: 06/2012
Make: Market Direct Campers
Model Name: AT10

My Lifestyle AT10 was made in April 2012, and was one of the 1st ones made, so doubt the Chinese were that quick off the mark ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 06:30:28 PM »
What's the chances of the Chinese doing such a good job of copying that they even copied the DOM as well  ;D.from what I remember reading the XT10 came out shortly after the hire agent got theirs back from a long hire with evidence of all the rivets being drilled out and then replaced.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
What's the chances of the Chinese doing such a good job of copying that they even copied the DOM as well  ;D.from what I remember reading the XT10 came out shortly after the hire agent got theirs back from a long hire with evidence of all the rivets being drilled out and then replaced.

They bought one off LCT, then supposedly shipped it to China and even shipped it back, then sold it.

I found a vid from dec 2013, so that might be approx when they 1st came out.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 02:57:03 AM »
Some well known campers coming up for auction with Lloyds.

UNRESERVED UNRESERVED UNRESERVED
Got somewhere to go! These Caravans and Campers are proven to go anywhere. These trailers were fitted out & put through their paces by the All 4 Adventure Crew and featured throughout their recent television series. Signed by the All 4 Adventure boys these are the must have for serious adventurer/4x4 users
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 06:26:11 AM »
Some well known campers coming up for auction with Lloyds.

UNRESERVED UNRESERVED UNRESERVED
Got somewhere to go! These Caravans and Campers are proven to go anywhere. These trailers were fitted out & put through their paces by the All 4 Adventure Crew and featured throughout their recent television series. Signed by the All 4 Adventure boys these are the must have for serious adventurer/4x4 users
just what you’d want, a trailer that’s been flogged over some pretty harsh country. Watching the new series on the weekend, reckon I saw that MDC trailer on the show airbourne atleast a few times as that new guy flogged it over those washouts.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 06:41:45 AM »
Hey RP, Is Simon still there or is there three now, I saw that one where they lost the quad out of the tinny that was always going to happen one day, Craig
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 06:45:30 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »
Hey RP, Is Simon still there or is there three now, I saw that one where they lost the quad out of the tinny that was always going to happen one day, Craig
still Jason and Simon on the show, but they had some other guy along from somewhere (might have been a sponsor maybe I think I heard them say?)...whoever he is, he’s a big fan of the right pedal when it comes to 4wd’ing style.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2018, 11:59:57 AM »
Thanks RP, Yes no need for that you just brake gear, From what I have heard Jason is pretty demanding on sponsors thats why you see them with different ones all the time. Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2018, 05:42:57 PM »
Thanks RP, Yes no need for that you just brake gear, From what I have heard Jason is pretty demanding on sponsors thats why you see them with different ones all the time. Craig
I was told by someone on the inside, that TJM dropped them a year or so ago, because they couldn't tell TJM what the plan was for that coming season as far as where they were going etc.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »
I was told by someone on the inside, that TJM dropped them a year or so ago, because they couldn't tell TJM what the plan was for that coming season as far as where they were going etc.

Not too many players who would front the kind of cash they would be after, they wouldn't want to burn too many bridges.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 07:55:09 PM »
and the truth is now out...

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/details/ausrv-caravans-to-be-built-in-china-116075/?utm_source=Responsys&utm_campaign=Caravans_Newsletter_2018_12_14&utm_medium=email&utm_membership_id=8C2B9047-136E-4240-85C5-953908D3EB40

All the AUSRV "made in Australia" campers and caravans will now be made in China.

what a surprise... said not one single person... ever.

Kinda' explains why they were selling off all their equipment for "local manufacturing"...

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 08:18:00 PM »

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/details/ausrv-caravans-to-be-built-in-china-116075/?utm_source=Responsys&utm_campaign=Caravans_Newsletter_2018_12_14&utm_medium=email&utm_membership_id=8C2B9047-136E-4240-85C5-953908D3EB40

All the AUSRV "made in Australia" campers and caravans will now be made in China.

Kinda' explains why they were selling off all their equipment for "local manufacturing"...

I’m shocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 08:38:24 PM »
Will be interesting to see just how much cheaper thier product actually becomes...we looked at an AusTV van a while back as we liked it’s layout, I just didn’t trust the company enough to pull the trigger and purchase one though.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2018, 10:27:03 PM »
Quote from: MuruCycles
Did anyone think anything different - honest?

Quote from: Marcus73
I’m shocked
my sarcasm meter just blew up LMAO
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2018, 04:51:21 AM »

The truth is now out? It has been out for a couple of years. He said from the start it was the plan to build them offshore.

Offline hardroad

• Swag User
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2018, 07:43:54 AM »
"we will still be fitting them here with the same European sourced appliances and accessories".
Hah. Made in Australia from local and imported parts! ;D

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2018, 08:36:36 AM »
Made in Australia from local and imported parts! ;D

Which bits are Aussie made ???

Maybe it should be "Partially assembled in Australia from imported parts" >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2018, 09:42:18 AM »
The truth is now out? It has been out for a couple of years. He said from the start it was the plan to build them offshore.

I'm happy to be wrong. But I'm not sure that's the case here...

This is the original press release at the launch of AusRV:

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/details/mdc-launches-aussie-caravan-range-58431/

"The move to local caravan manufacture will remain separate from MDC’s current importation of Chinese-built campers and hybrids, which will continue to be commissioned and certified to Australian compliance alongside the AUSRV range in Brisbane."

there is also much talk (from the owner) of expanding the workforce and the factory space to deal with the Australian manufacturing, I also know of people from other van and camper manufacturers that left their jobs and moved their families interstate to be part of the new "Australian made" ranges development and manufacture.

It looks to my untrained eye as though they made the initial run and samples in Australia, shipped some of that initial run to China for copying, then signed up Simon and Jason from All4Adventure to use their "Australian Made" vans and camper, then did a switch to Chinese manufacturing.

The other thing that confuses me... they already bring in MDC branded "off-road" caravans and hybrids from China. Why would they create a new brand, make all the first year or twos product in Australia, then switch production to China... aren't they just overlapping the MDC vans?

But like I said... happy to be proven wrong.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:45:08 AM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2018, 10:37:36 AM »
The other thing that confuses me... they already bring in MDC branded "off-road" caravans and hybrids from China. Why would they create a new brand, make all the first year or twos product in Australia, then switch production to China... aren't they just overlapping the MDC vans?

Maybe than ran out of people to copy? and then they get to blur the line between local and imported products.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2018, 07:09:28 PM »
The thing I dislike about MDC, AusRv or whatever they become, is their activity in groups, especially on Facebook. If someone posts up an issue that has been on going then they are criticised, made to feel like an idiot etc and that comes from the owner of the business. He has a group of people that will tear any one apart if they complain on social media.

Yes they have a large market share but so has Jayco and you never see the owner of jayco bagging their customers.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline dogbox

• Swag User
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2018, 10:01:19 AM »
what is the after sales service (warranty) like

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2018, 07:58:20 PM »
The thing I dislike about MDC, AusRv or whatever they become, is their activity in groups, especially on Facebook. If someone posts up an issue that has been on going then they are criticised, made to feel like an idiot etc and that comes from the owner of the business. He has a group of people that will tear any one apart if they complain on social media.

Yes they have a large market share but so has Jayco and you never see the owner of jayco bagging their customers.

Mark

I’ve seen this too, the way that the owner and his employees respond to people means I’d never buy a thing off them.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2018, 09:07:54 PM »
what is the after sales service (warranty) like

You get some mixed reports, but that's even the case with some local manufacturers, have just read some not glowing reviews about another manufacturer that MDC liked to copy.

I think in this segment, considering the company's ability to stay afloat is probably as important as their reputation.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2018, 07:37:20 AM »
I'm happy to be wrong. But I'm not sure that's the case here...

This is the original press release at the launch of AusRV:

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/details/mdc-launches-aussie-caravan-range-58431/

"The move to local caravan manufacture will remain separate from MDC’s current importation of Chinese-built campers and hybrids, which will continue to be commissioned and certified to Australian compliance alongside the AUSRV range in Brisbane."

there is also much talk (from the owner) of expanding the workforce and the factory space to deal with the Australian manufacturing, I also know of people from other van and camper manufacturers that left their jobs and moved their families interstate to be part of the new "Australian made" ranges development and manufacture.

It looks to my untrained eye as though they made the initial run and samples in Australia, shipped some of that initial run to China for copying, then signed up Simon and Jason from All4Adventure to use their "Australian Made" vans and camper, then did a switch to Chinese manufacturing.

But like I said... happy to be proven wrong.

That magazine article contains quite a few inaccuracies. It is far from a press release. Here is a press release from a while back - again on the owner’s forum. If anyone wants to see how their aftersales backup works, again, join the forum. There aren’t any secrets. You will see claims being accepted and denied over time. Being a low to mid price brand they attract entry level campers who make entry level mistakes and some of the claims are ridiculous - as are their responses when they are denied. Then they end up somewhere like here having a bitch. You will also witness all levels of staff right up to the owner jumping all over bona fide issues and quite a lot of gratis ones as well.