Author Topic: School Me on Jet Skis  (Read 2156 times)

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
School Me on Jet Skis
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:19:10 PM »
OK so i have permission from the minster to purchase myself a mid life crisis Jet Ski
I had and old Kawasaki back in the day but man how times have changed
Sea Doo, Polaris, Yamaha ets
What do i look for in a modern Jet Ski and what features are useful and what are just gimics

Looking for a 2 up ski mainly for cruising the lake and the odd bit of wave jumping in the channel
I Drink & I Know Things
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: School Me on Jet Skis
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 01:36:50 PM »
Hi Chester, Make shore you can use it were you live as they as they are banned on the Noosa river north of the Noosaville Boat ramp, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
We had a Sea Doo and were very happy with it.  Gave us no issues and could tow two knee boarding easily.  We bought a 3 seater just to give a bit more room for the spotter who has to face backwards and it was a good choice as it also allowed us to take to small kids out for a little 'stroll'.

As for features, loved the reverse feature, the lanyard that attached to you so kills the engine when you fall off, and the reliability - never had an issue.  We only sold it in the end due to lack of use, but one of my employees bought it from me and still owns it and says it is still as good as new 14 years later.

To be honest I never checked out the other brands before buying the Sea Doo.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 02:23:33 PM »
Also check your state regs if you are going to pull skiers, last time i checked the craft must have the capacity to carry all skiers as well as the driver and observer  in Vic and NSW anyway. Down here a three person jetski can only tow one person and a two seater cant tow

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline 1302toby

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »
Yamaha for reliability and parts, sea doos are fun but supercharged versions are thirsty compared to naturally aspirated models. I could circumnavigate Phillip island in vic on a n/a model but the super charged guys had to carry a jerry can. I could do 112 kmh and they could top 130 ish.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 06:55:52 AM »
For cruising and longer distance runs the Kawasaki ultras are highly recommended. I may or may not be researching a mid life crisis mobile myself - mine will be used for fishing as well. β€œIs 300 plus horsepower really needed though?” β€œ Of course dear. β€œ

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »
I have a sea Doo gtr 230 haven't had an issue plenty of power, 3 seater tows easy. My cousin bought a Kawasaki ultra 310, he blew the engine in under 20hrs and they have just given him a new one under warranty.
I have ridden his, I don't like it, it's like a boat and just doesn't handle as well as my gtr. He said if he had his time again he'd buy the same as me.
My other cousin bought a rxp300 he gets about 125km/h out of it while I only get about 112km/h
The rxp is a good machine if you want More of a race ski
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 09:15:27 AM »
Yes, exactly it runs 22.5 degrees deadrise. The ultra is the ski of choice for expeditions, long runs such as variety club runs and Fishing offshore as I plan. They would be terrible for aquaboganing. Shame your mate blew his up. They have a great name for longevity.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:22:38 PM by GBC »

Offline tedota

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 11:05:03 AM »
If you're gonna use it for towing biscuits, knee boards etc get a ski pole fitted. I had the seadoo GTX (3 seater)
and the rope kept getting caught in the wake all the time when you corner. I fitted a pole (extendable one) and it was brilliant. No more rope "jerking" as it came out of the wake and the spotter had something better to hang onto as it had handles on the side.