Author Topic: Requesting advice - Soft floor CT  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Alyosius

• Learning the Ropes
Requesting advice - Soft floor CT
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:18:47 PM »
So, as I mentioned in my introduction post, my family and I have had access to an extended family member's camper trailer for the past 18 months or so, and we've used it fairly often and have just arrived home from our first decent trip (almost) completely using the CT. And we loved it, it was great...however there are some things about this trailer that frustrate me, namely the painters stage we carry to use as a step for the bed, the matress and the fact I need to crawl into the trailer to load/unload it.

So we have decided to start doing the investigations into buying our own. And as I said in my introduction thread, I'm not....having as much luck as I would like.....so I'm hoping someone may be able to point out something that fulfills our requirements that I have missed.

Anyway, context is a family of my wife and I and our nearly 2 year old son (son getting a brother or a sister in the future is not out of the question and therefore needs to be taken into account when deciding what we want). Tow vehicle is a Pajero

The requirements we have been able to come up with so far:
- Storage must not require crawling through the trailer to access - IE: I want to be able to access the entire storage (except for compartments not normally needing access like water or battery stowage) without getting into/under the trailer. What this ultimately turns into is the storage should be accessable through a mix of cupboards and drawers.
I've added an image that probably explains it better than I have phrased it. Blue in the image would be the kitchen (on slide) Orange would be accessed through a side panel on a drawer, green through a side panel and be a cupboard, red would be generally inaccessible (may require packing up the tent, moving the bed whatever)
- Walk-through: slightly more space to live in, means drawers at the foot of the bed are a possibility and we don't need to carry or deal with a ladder
- Must have a kitchen: I don't mind so much if the gas isn't plumbed and I have to plug it in each time I bring the kitchen out
- 12ft tent: With one child, and the possibility of future children (particularly when they require a portacot) the extra few feet would be helpful compared to what we have at the moment.
- Easy enough for one person to set up (something something wrangling children)
- Onboard water and 12 volt: Lack of 12 volt doesn't concern me so much, I'm very comfortable with low voltage electronics.
- A slide/area for the fridge, but no issue with this being on the draw bar, still easier to access than the boot when I can't open the door with the trailer hitched
- Tows easily on and off road (think oodnadatta track/cape york as trips we want to do)
- Can't break the bank (see comment about children)

Unfortunately the requirement I'm least willing to compromise on (storage setup) seems to be the hardest to find anything even close. GIC/Black series delta is the only thing I've seen that is even remotely close to this sort of setup - and they decided to remove that particular design this year to make room for more caravans. (As an aside I came across Jayco's J-pod today, which would be interesting as an option, however my assumption is it would not play nice with anything that looks remotely like a dirt road.)

The more research I do the more I suspect it is likely I'm going to have to do, at least a portion of this, DIY, however my wife is very reticent to that idea. I would quite enjoy the DIY challenge, but have never touched a welder, so at the very least I would need someone to manufacture a trailer base. My wife thinks I would...strugle... to finish such a project and would much prefer to purchase something ready to go, so if you have anything that comes close to ticking those boxes, I'd love to hear it.

Offline InnerCityBoy

• Swag User
  • Camper trailer-ing since 2014
Re: Requesting advice - Soft floor CT
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »
Three quick thoughts.

Sounds like you’re basically happy with the soft floor experience, if you add a Drifta slide-out kitchen and slide out storage box this would solve your issue with crawling in to the trailer; see Drifta.com.au. Some of their layouts can incorporate a fridge on the slide-out section. I used to have a 12’ soft-floor with a Drifta kitchen and it was terrific.

The comment about it one person set up is a worry, though. It was possible but not easy to set up my 12’ soft floor solo, so if you are going to be doing that often you probably need to consider hard-floor campers like a Cub or one of the many flip over variants.

Final thought is if I was going to tow something up to Cape York, I would steer clear of fancy stuff and go for rugged and simple ... a second hand Trackabout, Customline, Camel (etc) which can cop punishment, has less breakable parts, will likely be fixable out in the bush and (if worse comes to worse) isn’t the end of the world if it can’t be recovered.

Good luck with your search, looking for a new camper is one of the best parts of this journey :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2015 Jayco Flamingo Outback
2015 Prado GXL 2.8 D4D

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:21:25 PM »
You didn't mention how big/small your budget is.
If you want a camper that meets ALL of your requirements have serious look at "Outback Campers " "Tanami" Yes I'm a bit biased coz I had one.  They are fully built in Carrum Downs, there are no shortcuts, everything is top notch. The Tanami is designed and built by campers/fishers/hunters for campers/fishers/hunters
The biggest "but" is it's price, about $30,000 new, but you get a hamburger with the lot, fill the water tanks, chuck your food in the fridge, and some clothes and of you go, no modifications needed  :cup:   
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 06:53:00 AM »
A few extra questions,
Budget, (even ballpark)? as already mentioned.
Are you looking new, used or both?
Are you really we'd to that solution for the lack of storage access? Or just want good access compared to the one you used?

Offline Alyosius

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 07:19:37 AM »
Thanks for the help so far, should have given these details when I started, so I'll see what I can do to answer them:

Sounds like you’re basically happy with the soft floor experience,

Yeah we've been happy with a soft floor. We have had a look at some hard floors, but haven't really seen anything that would be suitable for use with a child in a porta cot.

if you add a Drifta slide-out kitchen and slide out storage box this would solve your issue with crawling in to the trailer; see Drifta.com.au. Some of their layouts can incorporate a fridge on the slide-out section.
I've had a look at the drifta designs which I would be more than happy to use if I found a suitable trailer to put it in.

Budget, (even ballpark)? as already mentioned.

Off the top of my head - ideally sub $10k, but we recognise there isn't much below that so $10-15k would be do able. We might be able to stretch that but definitely not more than $20k

Are you looking new, used or both?

We are more than happy to go for a used trailer. I'm working on the theory that it will need to last circa 5-10 years by which time our needs will change due to children's ages etc.

Are you really we'd to that solution for the lack of storage access? Or just want good access compared to the one you used?
I'm not wedded to that solution. We aren't even wedded to a soft floor. I've got the basics of an idea in my head for a design for a hybrid design. All I'm looking for is something that is easy to use. I guess what I'm looking for is something that can remain packed - ie we don't have a large amount of boxes/bags to put away when we depart in the morning. I'd like drawers/cupboards/etc to store pots and pans/food/clothes/etc, so in the morning all I need is to pack the breakfast dishes and the tent, rather than repacking the whole trailer.
"A place for everything, and everything in its place" as it were

Offline Tweekin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 07:34:06 AM »
One of these http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/private/SSE-AD-5085056/2012-Trackabout-Safari-SV-Extenda

Offline CorzaDry

• Swag User
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »
Sounds like you have the same issues I have had with my trailer! Check out my thread here:

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=52445.0

I have all the parts to make another slide next to the kitchen now. This will finally allow me to stop the crawl in and out!! I made the kitchen myself, it was a bit of a mission thats for sure. Just need to get the benchtop powdercoated.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:24:43 AM by CorzaDry »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 09:47:20 AM »
Hi there.  We have a Challenge meridian off road soft floor.It has the kitchen on the tailgate so open the back and everything is there.  We use three plastic tubs on wheels across the back and accessible from the kitchen area as they roll forward.  One is kitchen utensils (pots/pans, mixing bowls etc) as all the plates, mugs, tea/coffee cutlery and dishwashing gear stores under the sink/stove in the kitchen. The next tub holds food and the third has spare toiletries, toilet rolls, kitchen paper, tea towels, hand towels etc etc  plus the occasional wine bottle..  on top of these three we store the camp chairs and roll up table/s.
We have a side hatch through which we can access the potta potti, and behind that is stored the washing bucket with extra toilet chemical, pegs, clothes line, washing powder, small sewing kit and our laundromat money tin.
Essentially everything we would need for a quick overnight stop.
Where we have more time or are staying longer we access other items through the top of the camper so that on arrival we pop the top, take out what we require such as annex, annex poles, camp ovens, diesel heater (ours is a remote one in a travel box), and proceed from there.
Our tool box on the front contains the electrics box with lights/extension leads, plugs; also the under floor tarp, door mat, pegs, hammer, water hose, a couple of fold up camp stools (for putting feet up, a quick overnight where we don't want the luxurious chairs or inverted for putting the rubbish bag over to become the rubbish bin or in an unexpected stop something to perch on and figure out the next step..ie flat tyre or mechanical issue) plus spare wheel bearings, chocks, spare tie downs, seam sealant, broom, dustpan; rake etc etc etc...
Packing up is easy and all of a sudden everything has disappeared back into it's storage space and we are off and away again.
Our fridge is in the back of the vehicle for an overnighter which I understand is not ideal for you but we bring it out when parked up for a day or two...
Oh, we sometimes travel with a small clothes bag in the vehicle (topped up on our overnight stops from the clothing bags we all have) so that we can stop and shower at a roadhouse/or some communities which have travellers comfort stops.  We also carry a dirty clothes bag and in this way we aren't getting frustrated trying to find clothes etc when the opportunity arises to shower or to do the laundry....
Good luck with your selection or alterations.

Desert Lover

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
Where are you located, it's a buyer's market, especially for soft floors. Should be able to find something that ticks most if not all of the boxes

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 02:53:08 PM »
The mighty McGirr camper may be for sale after our 3 month Kimberley Trip. By the time I finish the modifications it should be worth $20k  ;D but will look at all offers.

It has 2 agm batteries

Camper rewired

Plenty of 12 v sockets and Anderson plugs

Twin water tanks

Big slide out kitchen

Huge front storage box with lights and power

Twin gas bottles

Alot of camping equipment including a honda 2kva genny, joolca hot water system and shower, led camping lights jyst to name a few

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline InnerCityBoy

• Swag User
  • Camper trailer-ing since 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 05:52:30 PM »
For a budget of (ideally) sub-$10k you need to be looking at used soft-floor campers. You mentioned 12’ but with only one child I would recommend a 9’ which would be more than adequate and is a tad faster / easier to set-up.

Like this one (add a Drifta storage box): http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=53915.0
Or this one: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=52532.0

In the $10-15k range you might consider a second-hand Cub camper (Supamatic or Spacematic) which might be easier for a 1-person set-up and would easily fit a porta-cot. They come with slide-out kitchens and pantries and some (esp. mothers of v young children) like campers like this that keep everyone off the ground.

Like this one (although ideally you’d find a full off-road version, this is the ‘light off-road’ version) http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=53059.0

I have no connection with the above ads BTW ... they are just examples that would cope with the sorts of trips you’re thinking about and have the features you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2015 Jayco Flamingo Outback
2015 Prado GXL 2.8 D4D

Offline Alyosius

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 08:06:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone so far. Of the ones suggested we look at so far, probably the one Bird linked (http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=52693.0) is closest to fulfilling our requirements, unfortunately we are located in Sydney, so thats not quite an option.

For a budget of (ideally) sub-$10k you need to be looking at used soft-floor campers. You mentioned 12’ but with only one child I would recommend a 9’ which would be more than adequate and is a tad faster / easier to set-up.

Like this one (add a Drifta storage box): http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=53915.0
Or this one: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=52532.0

We agree with most of your points about needing to look for a soft floor - most likely used - due to our budget. And the only reason I mentioned a 12 ft tent is that that future proofs us if another child is to come along in the future. Our current camper is most likely a 9ft tent and there isn't much extra space for a second child once you put a porta cot in, everyone's bags and the step to the bed. All of that being said, it is possible a 9ft walk though might just be big enough to solve that problem, but I'll need to walk through some and see.
And you are absolutely right, the 9ft one is easy to put up and down by myself. I have never tried using a 12 ft tent so appreciate that it might be significantly harder to put up single handed.

In the $10-15k range you might consider a second-hand Cub camper (Supamatic or Spacematic) which might be easier for a 1-person set-up and would easily fit a porta-cot. They come with slide-out kitchens and pantries and some (esp. mothers of v young children) like campers like this that keep everyone off the ground.

When we last went to a 4wd show we had a look through the campers and walked through the cub display. One thing we noticed was how small the cub's floor feels compared to a side fold, due to the width limitation imposed. If the kid/s were old enough that a porta cot wasn't an issue, then one of them with a set of camp bunks could probably work quite well, but we just couldn't see how to fit a porta cot and a child on a stretcher into that + 2 adults.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Garfish

• Mini Marlin
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Have fun and enjoy
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 10:35:35 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone so far. Of the ones suggested we look at so far, probably the one Bird linked (http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=52693.0) is closest to fulfilling our requirements, unfortunately we are located in Sydney, so thats not quite an option.

We agree with most of your points about needing to look for a soft floor - most likely used - due to our budget. And the only reason I mentioned a 12 ft tent is that that future proofs us if another child is to come along in the future. Our current camper is most likely a 9ft tent and there isn't much extra space for a second child once you put a porta cot in, everyone's bags and the step to the bed. All of that being said, it is possible a 9ft walk though might just be big enough to solve that problem, but I'll need to walk through some and see.
And you are absolutely right, the 9ft one is easy to put up and down by myself. I have never tried using a 12 ft tent so appreciate that it might be significantly harder to put up single handed.

I have a lifestyle similar to the one bird showed you, the 10ft standard on the lifestyle walk up gives you a soft floor area of 10ft X 10 ft or approx 3x3 m or the size of a small bedroom,  I have 3 kids on stretchers in ours and we can still play board games in the space on the floor, with 2 there's a lot of room and unless it is pouring spend most of the time outside. 
Ross
No camper or 4x4 😪

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
You need this.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=52693.0

That a pretty good deal, been on the market for 6 months so maybe a little wriggle room as well, you could contact the seller, get some more photos, see if he is heading Brisbane way anytime soon and meet halfway to do the deal subject to the pic's matching up to reality. It's a good brand and set up to go by the looks of things, it's only 10ft but is a walk through so that should give just as much room. Don't be put off by a bit of a road trip. 

Offline gunny

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 10:39:40 AM »
I have that exact camper. Heaps of room for the cot and another stretcher. Kitchen works well and bed lifts up to access underneath. the walk up is brilliant. We put porta loo and toys for kids in there. Tough built as well. It will last for years. Ours has done the cape including tele track and frenchmans with no worries.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 02:27:05 PM »
We, like desert lover have a challenge Meredien offroad soft floor camper trailer with a 12 ft tent and a fully enclosed annexe area of 18ft X 7ft if required. Due to the wife's Parkinsons we went for something which offered plenty of space because of mobility issues.
We are able to set up a stretcher bed, storage boxes and the portable toilet in the tent area and have a living area and kitchen space in the annexe.
Overnighters only require a quick set up of the tent, 5 days or more and we tend to set the complete annexe.
For us less is more,
Good luck in your hunt.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru