Author Topic: prado v6 opinions  (Read 6714 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
prado v6 opinions
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
hi all,

looking at around at different options to possibly replace my bt50 (4x2)...

have seen a few 4L V6 prado's for sale and was wondering what the prevailing opinion is of these vehicles...?

the pricing on some of these is quite reasonable and it begs the question (for me) about whether to go back to petrol from a turbo diesel.

interested in member's opinions of these, as well as what to look for in regards to common issues?  better year/model to look for?  kilometres sweet spot?

thanks...

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
Re: prado v6 opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »
PM sent
Can certainly pay for a lot of petrol with the price difference from a diesel
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:20:01 PM »
IF they are anything like the earlier VZE V6 jobbies ..
It might pay to remove the heads  and get the Block " O" Ringed to help guard against head gasket failure [ Have a talk with a reputable local engine builder ] .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Vitara_JaycoSwift_Outback

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »
I upgraded to an 09 150 series petrol nearly 6 months ago. I am in love with it. I test drove a Diesel and the Petrol and prefered the petrol plus it was about 5 grand cheaper. I've been closely monitoring my petrol use via the fuelio app over the past 6 months and when I'm running to work during the week and around town on the weekend I am averaging 13.4L per 100. Currently on holidays and I have been doing lots of short trips and around town and it has crept up to 13.9L.

I don't think you will be disappointed in the slightest if you did purchase one.

Offline Anakist

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 04:29:15 PM »
If it is the 1GR-FE we have the same engine in our FJ, which is basically a 150 Prado with a different shell.

It is an excellent engine! We get into the low 10l/100km just slabbing along the highway and according to Fuelly our long term average is 12.2l/100km with a mix of commuting during the week, offroad trips, horse float and box trailer towing, etc.

James

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:34:45 PM »
most of the ones i have been looking at seem to be the GRJ120R model?

looks to be the older shape... which i don't mind...

much difference in the engines, though?

this is an example of what i have been coming across:

"2005 Landcruiser Prado - $20000
4lt V6
6 speed manual
144000 Klm
dual batteries, snorkel, 2” suspension, winch , towbar , ARB bull bar, new dash fitted 12 months ago under Toyota warranty due to cracking. 265/75/R17 BFG all terrains fronts have less than 20000 klm on them. Only just had 140000 klm service"

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:40:36 PM by paceman »

Offline Anakist

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »
The 4.0L V6 is the 1GR-FE. There might be electronic differences, but it looks to be the same engine.

James

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 06:05:27 PM »
Get the 5 speed auto
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 06:14:36 PM »
Get the 5 speed auto

why?  just curious... not trying to be a smarty... :)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 06:19:49 PM »

Manuals are for old people

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 06:41:59 PM »

Also because the 5 speed auto is a better option than the 4 speed auto that was available in the 1st generation of the V6 120 series, the change occurred around late 2004

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »
Manuals are for old people

i don't consider myself old... i don't mind manuals... :)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 07:21:09 PM »
i don't consider myself old... i don't mind manuals... :)

Autos kill manuals in the bush for 90% of situations.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 07:33:42 PM »

good to know... that's one of the reasons i am looking around and trying to offload the 4x2 bt50... more off-road adventures with the kids...

Offline topcat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »

I've had a manual 120 V6 and currently have a manual 150 diesel - if you enjoy driving a manual, then go for it. Both are as smooth as a well oiled nut. 80% of my driving is daily around suburbs but I enjoy every bit of it.
My 2.2c (incl gst).
TC
Prado 150 GXL 6M + 2016 TVAN Murranji

2008 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer - Sold (first love xox)

"If all ya got's a hammer, every problem is a nail"
The following users thanked this post: paceman, Craig Tomkinson

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 11:54:24 PM »
Love the wifes V6 120 5 speed auto, which was bought by choice. Smooth with plenty of grunt. 13's around town not being shy on the pedal and 16's towing the Jayco camper.

IF they are anything like the earlier VZE V6 jobbies ..
It might pay to remove the heads  and get the Block " O" Ringed to help guard against head gasket failure [ Have a talk with a reputable local engine builder ] .

About the only thing the 1GR-FE shares with the earlier 3.4L is the Toyota badge.

The 4L is pretty bullet proof, but maintenance is critical.  Regular oil changes are crucial, they'll sludge up real quick otherwise. 
Avoid any V6 Prado with a sketchy service history.

The great thing about everyone's love affair  with diesels, is the petrols are dirt cheap.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »
Great engine i am looking for one atm
As d4d said from first hand experience you want the 5 speed auto there is to big a gap between 3rd and 4th on the othd 4 speed so it hunts especially when towing
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Linedropper

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »
150 Series V6 owner here and couldn't be happier and hopefully I can update to a 2014 or later V6 in a couple of years. The V6 has heaps of grunt and I get into the low 10L/100 on the highway and 15 when towing 1.5 tonne in 4th. Overall after 80,000 km of ownership (of about 160,000km total kms on the odometer ) average is around 13.5.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »
A mechanic friend (used to work at Toyota) has a 4L V6 Prado, as above he said if they are well maintained they are bulletproof but thirsty...

I can't comprehend the fuel use figures some are getting on here though. I have spoken to a couple owners and all have said they are fairly thirsty. Some of the figures above are better that what some diesel owners are getting. What benefit does the diesel have over the petrol if the fuel consumption is the same?
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »

A mechanic friend (used to work at Toyota) has a 4L V6 Prado, as above he said if they are well maintained they are bulletproof but thirsty...

I can't comprehend the fuel use figures some are getting on here though. I have spoken to a couple owners and all have said they are fairly thirsty. Some of the figures above are better that what some diesel owners are getting. What benefit does the diesel have over the petrol if the fuel consumption is the same?

Push them hard and they get real thirsty. When we first got the Prado, average around town the first month was 16's.  As we enjoyed the extra grunt over the old 3.5L Pajero.

Towing needs to be a bit gentle.  If you're hell bent on keeping it spot on 110kph the entire time and sinking the boot in up hills.  You'll get into the 20's pretty quickly.

Personally. Fuels cheap compared to the D4D repair bills you hear about.   I'm not going to be doing the Canning Stock Route anytime soon and the petrol suits what we use the car for.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Shippo

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 03:13:30 PM »
Hi Paceman. Ive owned an 04 V6 for 5 years and love it. Never had any major issues at all. Its such a nice comfy car to drive around in and the auto is smooth as silk(4 speed ) One of the members posted about it hunting gears whilst towing but I just leave it in 3rd and it tows perfectly with plenty of power to spare. They are a good solid engine and will last well if regularly serviced. My inlaws have a D4D Hilux ( same motor as prado) and I would keep my petrol anyday. It doesnt have the fuel range that theirs has but its all down to personal choice. If I updated to a later model I would stick with a petrol model! Good luck with it all.
2004 V6 Toyota Prado. Coromal Magnum 440 XC Rally

Offline PJ80

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 03:20:09 PM »

Might be true but most diesel owners have been understating their fuel consumption for years.... In the interests of disclosure I drive a petrol Landcruiser so well versed in high fuel consumption. Still fuel for me is far from the highest expense in owning a 4WD.
80 Series and Lifestyle Breakaway 2 Plus (Trackabout Safari now sold)

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »
Another very happy 120 series V6 owner here. We bought new a late 2008 model and now have 145,000km. Done Fraser, Birdsville a couple of times, Simpson west to east, outback SA over to Uluru, Darling River Run plus plenty of trips to Qld and down to ACT all from Sydney. All the outback trips have been towing. Easy car to drive.
As other mentioned avoid anything with a vague service history. These motors will go 500,000km with regular servicing. Look out for rust under the rubber seal on the back door as well as a dropping back door or cracks around the hinges. If looking at a Grande look for rust around the sunroof and expect to replace the rear suspension airbags though not expensive.
You may get lucky and find a GXL with an option pack that has down hill assist, traction control, side airbags and some other kit.
Ours has BFG A/T’s, ARB winch bar, aux battery, snorkel, OME 2” lift and a few other bits and around town average 17-18L/100km. Towing a 2T van 23L/100 but doing the speed limit. On the highway not towing around 14L/100. Same as nab I can’t comprehend either some of these fuel figures. Mine are measured with a scan gauge and on the computer with fuelly. Disregard the figures in my signature.

I would look for something with around 150,000 to 180,000km personally but the higher the Kay’s the cheaper they are. Best thing about this model is there like arseholes, everyone has one so you may also get a shopping trolley and have a blank canvas that has never been off-road but then one with some accessories has already taken the financial hit.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:36:29 PM by MDS69 »

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 07:04:12 PM »
If your interested I am about to put our beloved TRD hilux V6 Supercharged up for sale (just bought a new Cruiser)
It has all the bells and whistles every 4x4 option on it  at least 18k worth and is an awesome car will be sad to see it go
Had it for 9 years and never missed a beat so good my mechanic wanted to buy it but he just bought another car so a little peeved that I am only now putting it up for sale

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 07:12:03 PM »
If your interested I am about to put our beloved TRD hilux V6 Supercharged up for sale (just bought a new Cruiser)

Thanks for the offer, but I’ll pass...

I am trying to offload my 4x2 BT50 and the v6 prado popped up in my research as one to consider... and I do like the older shape of the prados...

I have a tidy 2010 NT Pajero with very low kms at a very good price at the top of my list...

If I can offload my current vehicle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk