Author Topic: Auto transmission service  (Read 13048 times)

Offline baker

• Sleeping Bag User
Auto transmission service
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:51:36 PM »
Hi Everybody i have a 100 series Toyota Landcruiser turbo diesel and i am looking to get my auto transmission serviced. I live in Adelaide and would like to know if anybody could help me with a reliable company
Cheers
Baker

Offline Pauly

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Whats This?
Re: Auto transmission service
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »
Im pretty sure all they do is flush the fluid and change the filter ???

Cheers Pauly

New ride 2005 Landcruiser Sahara, Mickey T,s, dual batts Arb Sahara Bar, HID lights :)

Self made camper

Offline Cammo

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »
baker

I have a 105 series auto and was told the same as Pauly said. The modern autos don't require the transmission service of old.

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:21:31 PM »
What's an argument without a contrary point of view?   :-*

I have a 200 Series, diesel with a six speed auto.  According to Toyota the transmission doesn't need servicing, and the transmission fluid is meant to last the life of the vehicle.

Several posts on LCOOL caused me to arrange a transmission flush recently, with a requirement to keep a sample of the old fluid for me.  The transmission takes about 11 litres, 9.5 litres were used in the flush, as without breaking down the box, it's not possible to get all the fluid out.

After 53000 km, about half towing a 2.2 tonne camper, my transmission fluid was blacky/burgundy, as opposed to the usual red-cordial colour of fresh transmission fluid.  The flush cost me $215 and I'll be getting it done regularly, either 20K or 30K from now on.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline rotor138

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
Plaza Automatics
122 Tolley Road 122 Tolley Rd,
St Agnes, SA 5097
Phone: (08) 8396 4480

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:06:26 PM »
Can't help with a shop as I am Melbourne based.......

I will suggest that you get the auto serviced opt for a synthetic oil not mineral oil.  Synthetic won't break down when under pressure and heated by towing........a lot more expensive yes but lasts twice as long......

I have a GQ Patrol and got a Wholesale Automatics Nomad valve body fitted and the difference was like night and day......not sure if they do one for a cruiser but well worth it.....
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 06:49:56 AM »
Here is a link for Wholsale Automatics  body valve for 80 and 100 series http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=4651
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:52:46 AM by Isuzumu »
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 08:24:27 AM »
I have a 105 series auto and was told the same as Pauly said. The modern autos don't require the transmission service of old.

I have a newish vehicle (only a few years old) and the service manual says the auto transmission fluid is due for a change.  The transmission place I have used over the years (which has a very good reputation in Adelaide) said they wont simply change the fluid, as it will need the pan dropped, filter changed and some other bits n pieces, plus a flush.  They said there are other places that will just do a gearbox flush, but not them.   They reckon it is laziness by factory service centres to simply drain the auto trans and then re-top up the oil.  They went on to say they have been seeing an increasing trend of issues with modern gearboxes as a result of zero proper servicing.  Good for them he said as its keeping them in business.

Maybe it's a ploy to squeeze some more cash out of me?  But I've used this company to fix an issue with my wifes car and found them to be extremely professional and honest.  I have no reason to second guess their integrity and I will be taking their advice and getting my gearbox serviced, rather than just have the oil drained and re-filled.     

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
Hi,

Any recomendations of a good transmission place Brisbane Northside ??

Ray
Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »
I think the problem with servicing autos is that you have to flush the transmission, not merely draining the oil.

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 04:25:13 PM »
I think the problem with servicing autos is that you have to flush the transmission, not merely draining the oil.

The beauty of going from mineral to synthetic is that they have to do a complete flush in the process........This took 20lt of oil when mine was done but it did cost and additional $300.......Like I said not cheap but I know that if I do push the auto harder while towing that the oil will stand up to exposure to heat and internals of the auto will be protected.

Also pays to monitor operating temp and have a large cooler installed.  I have a B&M 70297 with a built in thermo switch and fan just in case the going gets to hot.....
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
Here is a link for Wholsale Automatics  body valve for 80 and 100 series http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=4651
I agree
Speak with Rodney there. he will give you the answers.

FWIW, a service is a couple of hunge, a gearbox rebuilt is $4000 (on a patrol auto).... cheap insurance.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 06:49:38 PM »
Hi Everybody i have a 100 series Toyota Landcruiser turbo diesel and i am looking to get my auto transmission serviced. I live in Adelaide and would like to know if anybody could help me with a reliable company
Cheers
Baker

Best to check with your state based auto club, they will have all the info you need.

Offline medion

• Tent User
    • My Camper Buildup
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 10:05:49 PM »
I just had the auto serviced on my jackaroo (pan removed, filter replaced and a seal) and it cost $209. The filter that came out was the original one from June 92. :(
Might explain some of the gearbox problems I am having.
Dion
Jackaroo SWB
Oztrail Camper 7 buildup

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »
Hi,

Any recomendations of a good transmission place Brisbane Northside ??

Ray

I had my Jeeps automatic serviced by these guys:
http://www.sureshiftautomatics.com.au/

No complaints - good service and reasonable price.  They also flushed the power steering at the same time too.
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda