Author Topic: Kids toys and games from your youth  (Read 19432 times)

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
Re: Kids toys and games from your youth
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
About once every 2 years the Coca Cola Yo Yo team would come to my school and you could guess what every kid was playing with the next day
That was cheap advertising then. Shame they still don't do it so kids aren't glued to a pc screen all day long
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 09:45:09 PM »
Quote from: noel_w
Shame they still don't do it so kids aren't glued to a pc screen all day long
somethings never change.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 09:10:16 AM »
I guess my youth was before the wheel as we know it was invented. More like Fred Flintstone rollers.
We used wooden cotton reels, knitting needle, match, a soap scrap, paper scrap and a rubber band.
Cut v's out of the edge of the cotton reel to make "treads"
Stick the rubber band through the cotton reel and hold one end from pulling through with a broken piece of match wedging the paper in to stop this end spinning, and stick the knitting needle through the other end of the rubber band with the knob part extended just past the edge of the cotton reel.Grease up the knitting needle end of the reel with soap or grease to cut the friction.
Wind the sucker up, put it in the ground and have flat races or hill climbs.
A lot like these   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o82U9B50tZw

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »
My boys have got all my old genuine matchbox cars in amongst their modern Hotwheels cars. Makes me smile when I see them playing with them.

I grew up in Africa in the 70's/80's.  School finished at mid-day, TV didn't start til 5.  Usual kids things: Spent hours climbing trees including rubber trees which mum hated cause the latex got in our clothes and hair.  Making bike tracks on the open ground outside the gates. We also used to sneak out to play with the local street kids who made awesome Bow and Arrows using sticks with string made from old plastic feed sacks. They'd unpick the stitching and braid the lines. One guy even made a rifle/crossbow hybrid, that fired nails using old inner tubes for the rubber bands.

We'd also have lots and lots of races with these things:

“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway
The following users thanked this post: ADTradie

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 10:57:35 AM »
Slip n Slides

We used to get all the neigbour kids as we had a 1/2 acre sloped block

Wire about 6 of the things together
Have about 12 hoses going
Take a panel out of the pool fence

100 meter slide with an exit into the swimming pool

Get your ass absolutely tanned by mum when the water bill turned up
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline raider

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
Before the area out Boronia West way got too developed we used to collect tadpoles from all the small ponds around the place ( then I think they would end up dying in ice cream containers  :-[). Then when the roads got tarred we would build billy carts with   bearings on the back wheels and go crazy. Other than that skateboarding and BMXing. I also loved the backyard incinerator where I would burn plastic and hold it up as burning fireballs whizzed to the ground. Ended up stuffing my models with tissues and simulating crashes too. >:D
Don't live a life of going-to-do's and die with nothing done

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 12:34:23 PM »
When I was a kid, we were always in the bush next door.
Remember this is in Holland so a different bush than here.
We were climbing trees, building tree huts and underground huts.

The good old times.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »
Would spend hours down at the creek on the farm, playng War's with the brothers and other kids from neighbouring farms, Fence paling rifles shaped with a tomahawk,  clodds of dirt grenades and the odd rock or two, the older kids threw the odd firecracker just to ad a bit of realism..
Used to help the older brothers build huge stick and bark humpie forts and cover them with tons of long grass .. then burn them down on cracker night ..
Coits used to be a bit of fun to play and darts [ though a cousin of mine  might disagree ] I flogged a dart deep into the side of his knee after he belted me in the face, and tried to run off . After he had lost a few games in a row.. ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 02:59:33 PM »
Similar to my toy when I was a kid. Used to spend hours going round & round paddocks towing a plough.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2020, 08:57:46 PM »
Meccano Sets... Metal toys
Mate dug one out today from his childhood.. I havent seen one in 40yrs!!

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: ADTradie

Offline Nifty1

• Tent User
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2020, 10:32:13 AM »
It’s good when old threads come back to life. We made shanghais but bike tube rubber back then was much stretchier. Melted down lead-head nails in a jam tin, then poured slowly into water to make pellets. All illegal now I think.
Tvan + Terracan
Hilux Adventure Camper
1999 Outback Sturt - an oldie but a goodie. Updated of course (passed on within family)

Offline Heavensent

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2020, 10:39:12 AM »
Meccano Sets... Metal toys
Mate dug one out today from his childhood.. I havent seen one in 40yrs!!

My boy got some for christmas.
Hes loving it but he struggles with fine motor skills so getting everything tight is hard for him.

I spent my days as a kid on my bmx, junping on the trampoline and playing lego.
Had a stint of roller hockey after the mighty ducks movies came out.

Farm life sure pushes you to be outside more.
Spent week out on the farm over christmas, was so good seeing my kids all outside so much, especially on thier bikes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2020, 09:22:35 PM »
DIY canoe  from an old sheet of corrugated iron, curved up to make a hull then hammered around a timber post each end ... limited ways to seal the thing equaled countless hours in the creek on hot days, sinking and bailing it out, not to mention the odd cuts from the rough tin work ..  ;D

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2020, 09:36:17 PM »
Quote from: Heavensen
Farm life sure pushes you to be outside more.
Spent week out on the farm over christmas, was so good seeing my kids all outside so much, especially on thier bikes.
I think its something all kids need and should be pushed towards....

My son and all his mates are welded to electronic games... no life apart from that.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2020, 10:00:50 PM »
OOPS The charge leads are missing  ;D

Offline garryc

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2020, 06:55:26 AM »
we used to get a piece of Masonite, polish the smooth side with Johnsons floor wax and use them for sand sleds after the rutile mining had been through the beaches and made sand hills

Offline ADTradie

• Swag User
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2020, 07:59:13 AM »
Adding to the preceding, I recall spending a lot of childhood time making and flying kites.

A.D.
Colorado RG MY2014 dual cab ute, swag and tent

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2020, 08:20:48 AM »
An old school trampoline. Mind you not with any of today's weak and safe mesh style cover im talking a vinyl base with no pads on the springs

I remember one time we decided with the neighborhood kids it would be awesome to wet it with the hose

When dad got home he said it was a scene out of his time at Vietnam. Bodies layed out on the ground being triage for broken wrists etc and waiting for medivac to hospital or back to their parents place
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2020, 09:04:53 AM »
1950's First Version of the Board Game, ‘Test Match’ Cricket by John Waddington Ltd.
This first version is not so much of a game as a device for simulating a test match. The board holds a score board and two rotating randomizers. The bowler rotates his handle to first ball of the over and back to the start, revealing a type of ball (leg break, bouncer, etc). The batsman rotates his handle to the type of ball bowled, and back again, revealing a batsman scoring runs or being dismissed, (a game of chance as opposed to skill).

Offline MattNQ

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The smartist formerly known as Skypig
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2020, 09:34:16 AM »
1950's First Version of the Board Game, ‘Test Match’ Cricket by John Waddington Ltd.
This first version is not so much of a game as a device for simulating a test match. The board holds a score board and two rotating randomizers. The bowler rotates his handle to first ball of the over and back to the start, revealing a type of ball (leg break, bouncer, etc). The batsman rotates his handle to the type of ball bowled, and back again, revealing a batsman scoring runs or being dismissed, (a game of chance as opposed to skill).
We loved this game. Many hours spent.  Used to even play full 5 day test matches with it in the school holidays. I sure don't have that attention span now.
When the batter's slide thingy broke, we batted by flicking his head back. Which had the benefit that when batting you could hit sixes out of the room.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
Quote from: MattNQ
We loved this game. Many hours spent.  Used to even play full 5 day test matches with it in the school holidays. I sure don't have that attention span now.
When the batter's slide thingy broke, we batted by flicking his head back. Which had the benefit that when batting you could hit sixes out of the room.

I had problems with the bowler, if you flicked his arm to try to bowl fast (it didnt) it would shoot the ball out on the full over the keeperLOL

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Heavensent

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2020, 10:05:18 AM »
An old school trampoline. Mind you not with any of today's weak and safe mesh style cover im talking a vinyl base with no pads on the springs

I remember one time we decided with the neighborhood kids it would be awesome to wet it with the hose

When dad got home he said it was a scene out of his time at Vietnam. Bodies layed out on the ground being triage for broken wrists etc and waiting for medivac to hospital or back to their parents place
Used to do that all the time.
Same deal no nets, no mats.

But i used to squirt dish washing liquid on it first.
Dam was slippery but so mych fun.
Had some big bubble piles too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Rhojef

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2020, 10:34:26 AM »
Had a pushbike from the time I was 6. Only rule was it had to be home before the streetlights came on.
Other great time was the horses in the paddock behind our place. We were allowed to ride them around the paddock as much as we wanted unsupervised.  Can't imagine that happening these days.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2020, 03:22:31 PM »
I had problems with the bowler, if you flicked his arm to try to bowl fast (it didnt) it would shoot the ball out on the full over the keeperLOL

Different game Bruce.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2020, 03:36:39 PM »
DIY canoe  from an old sheet of corrugated iron, curved up to make a hull then hammered around a timber post each end ... limited ways to seal the thing equaled countless hours in the creek on hot days, sinking and bailing it out, not to mention the odd cuts from the rough tin work ..  ;D

We used to do that too. Vertical piece of board for the front, and a horizontal board across the back for a transom. We used to dig up chunks of melted tar off the roads, where it had pooled when it melted in the heat, to seal it. And if we had any rag, used to layer it with the tar to patch up bigger holes. We used to sink them in the creek somewhere not easy to see, so we didn't have to lug them home after playing with them.

Pretty much like this, but not quite as wide across the stern.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:43:15 PM by Troopy_03 »
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.