Author Topic: Show us your bike (bicycle)  (Read 489044 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Show us your bike (bicycle)
« Reply #1050 on: May 29, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »
would something like this constitute good value?

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/eclipse-women-s-mtb.html

hopefully, this works out to be good value, because i just ordered one... :)

any tips for assembly?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1051 on: May 30, 2018, 06:29:55 AM »

any tips for assembly?

You're not going to bomb down any downhill trails with it, but for family bike trail rides it is perfect. Standover height and weight are the 2 considerations for a female bike.

Re DIY assembly, I'd go front to back over every bolt etc. to make sure they're torqued up correctly, make sure the brake/gear levers are in the correct position for your wife's hands, seat position slightly lower than optimal until she gets used to riding, use a small amount of grease on the pedal threads, seat post etc, check the limit screws on the derailleurs, make sure the brakes work without rubbing on the rims, I'd run the tyres a little softer in pressure. Finally enjoy, nothing like a family bike ride.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1052 on: May 30, 2018, 07:09:38 AM »
You're not going to bomb down any downhill trails with it, but for family bike trail rides it is perfect. Standover height and weight are the 2 considerations for a female bike.

Re DIY assembly, I'd go front to back over every bolt etc. to make sure they're torqued up correctly, make sure the brake/gear levers are in the correct position for your wife's hands, seat position slightly lower than optimal until she gets used to riding, use a small amount of grease on the pedal threads, seat post etc, check the limit screws on the derailleurs, make sure the brakes work without rubbing on the rims, I'd run the tyres a little softer in pressure. Finally enjoy, nothing like a family bike ride.

definitely not a DH run bike, just the family ride type... she fits in the S size requirement that Reid advises on their website, i also measured her current bike's seat tube from the top of the tube to the centre of the pedal crank and it was roughly the same length as the one on the new bike.

also rang Reid themselves with this info and they advises that the S is the size to get...  very happy with Reid so far...

it's a grip gear shifter, rather than a trigger shifter (which she has on the old bike)... she doesn't change gears that much anyways and if it does turn out to be a drama, we can just put some trigger shifters on the bike instead...  she is happy to try it out and see how it goes...

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1053 on: May 30, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »
i'm on a roll... another question... :)

does anyone have any info, links to places that sell bike parts, but just for normal bikes (ie:  kids bikes)...

looking to replace some parts on a couple of kids bikes, but don't want to pay the earth for bits...

any links/advice welcome...

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1054 on: May 30, 2018, 01:09:26 PM »

does anyone have any info, links to places that sell bike parts, but just for normal bikes (ie:  kids bikes)...

looking to replace some parts on a couple of kids bikes, but don't want to pay the earth for bits...

pick some up from the tip... or hard rubbish time. Take what bits you need and put the rest out for *your* next hard rubbish.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1055 on: May 30, 2018, 02:57:12 PM »

Only have the seat lowered for a month or so then bring it back up or her knees will kill her when she puts some more distance in
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1056 on: May 30, 2018, 07:37:12 PM »

Cyclingdeal.com.au , Reid, 99bikes, wriggle.com

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1057 on: June 06, 2018, 08:02:05 AM »

any tips for assembly?

received in good order yesterday...

mostly assembled... just need to buy some grease today to do pedal spindles and seat post...

otherwise, looks like a good value purchase...
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1058 on: June 06, 2018, 06:14:07 PM »
received in good order yesterday...

mostly assembled... just need to buy some grease today to do pedal spindles and seat post...

otherwise, looks like a good value purchase...

:worthles:

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1059 on: June 07, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1060 on: June 09, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
Quick blast through Buxton last weekend before it closes for winter.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1061 on: June 18, 2018, 07:14:00 AM »
thinking about getting one of these for the family's bikes...

https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/E0CATNNE4/title/ezi-grip-enduro-4-bike-rack---no-light-board

thoughts appreciated... seems to be pretty good value for money... and will fit kid's BMX bikes as well as our bikes...

anything in particular i need to look for with these types of racks?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1062 on: June 18, 2018, 05:10:36 PM »
thinking about getting one of these for the family's bikes...

thoughts appreciated... seems to be pretty good value for money... and will fit kid's BMX bikes as well as our bikes...

anything in particular i need to look for with these types of racks?

I had the previous version of this rack, it is ok for the money. The first time you load the bikes it will take you ages to work out how to fit them all on. If you have a spare wheel on the back door forget it. It's an on-road rack, I wouldn't go off-road with it. The straps are a pita to get right, as are the plastic wheel 'cups', I used a small cable tie to hold them in position. The previous model had a metal plate that fitted to the hitch to stop the rack swinging side to side. it doesn't appear to be fitted in the pictures. This plate will only fit standard hitches, wouldn't fit the OE Prado hitch.

I'd also checkout these http://buzzrack.com/galleries/buzzybee-h4-hitch-mount-platform-bike-carrier/

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1063 on: June 18, 2018, 05:17:49 PM »

I had the previous version of this rack, it is ok for the money. The first time you load the bikes it will take you ages to work out how to fit them all on. If you have a spare wheel on the back door forget it. It's an on-road rack, I wouldn't go off-road with it. The straps are a pita to get right, as are the plastic wheel 'cups', I used a small cable tie to hold them in position. The previous model had a metal plate that fitted to the hitch to stop the rack swinging side to side. it doesn't appear to be fitted in the pictures. This plate will only fit standard hitches, wouldn't fit the OE Prado hitch.

I'd also checkout these http://buzzrack.com/galleries/buzzybee-h4-hitch-mount-platform-bike-carrier/

thanks for the info...

funny you should mention the buzzrack model... that was the other one i was looking at getting...

maybe an ISI or gripsport is the way to go, and just be done with it?

is there much difference between these two?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 05:58:14 PM by paceman »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1064 on: June 18, 2018, 06:32:18 PM »
maybe an ISI or gripsport is the way to go, and just be done with it?

Checkout Yakima, I use a HoldUp on the hitch and a FrontLoader on the roof.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1065 on: June 18, 2018, 07:06:26 PM »
Checkout Yakima, I use a HoldUp on the hitch and a FrontLoader on the roof.

looks like the yakima holdup 2, plus a holdup2+ (for my four bikes) comes fairly close to the price of an ISI anyways...

you find the yakima strong enough?

i am checking with yakima about whether the fourtimer will have enough clearance on the pajero...

the clearance issue may end up swinging me to an ISI...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:08:42 AM by paceman »

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1066 on: June 19, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »
my experience is that if you plan on ever taking the rack off road on the back of your 4wd... with bikes attached to it, then you can't go past the iSi rack.
Wayne & Kyria Chapman

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1067 on: June 19, 2018, 12:39:11 PM »
my experience is that if you plan on ever taking the rack off road on the back of your 4wd... with bikes attached to it, then you can't go past the iSi rack.

the ability to also add it to a lifestyle breakaway ultra (our new camper hopefully) has big appeal too...

and not having to worry about rear spare clearance on the pajero...

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1068 on: June 26, 2018, 03:53:41 PM »
ISI might be too far out of the budget, by the looks...

would you have reservations about using a hitch extender with one of the cheaper racks mentioned?

surely they would be strong enough, with only four bikes onboard?

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #1069 on: June 26, 2018, 04:54:43 PM »
Quote from: paceman
would you have reservations about using a hitch extender with one of the cheaper racks mentioned?

surely they would be strong enough, with only four bikes onboard?
4 bikes is a bit of weight when bouncing around. How much ya bikes worth?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1070 on: June 26, 2018, 05:12:28 PM »
4 bikes is a bit of weight when bouncing around. How much ya bikes worth?

certainly not the dearest around, but dear enough that i don't want to have to replace them...

Offline Poita

• Swag User
« Reply #1071 on: June 27, 2018, 01:54:04 PM »
I have the isi rack and it is well worth the investment in my opinion. Bullet proof and doesn't limit my approach angles.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1072 on: July 02, 2018, 08:02:58 AM »
Not about an actual bike as such, but thought you 2-wheel physical people might like this bit ;D

Chatting on a mapping forum with a bloke in Alaska & he mentioned

"Yes, we have bicyclists who equip their bikes with studded tires and ride the wilderness trails when they can. I obtained GPS traces from a fellow that rode a fat-tire bike on the Iditarod Trail, a 1,000 mile trip through the wilds from Anchorage to Nome, in mid-winter." :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iditarod_Trail#/media/File:Iditarod_Trail_BLM_map.jpg

"Iditarod" - no, sorry, think that mau be a slight misprint - I'm sure it should be Idiot Road! >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1073 on: July 02, 2018, 09:58:22 AM »
Not about an actual bike as such, but thought you 2-wheel physical people might like this bit ;D

Chatting on a mapping forum with a bloke in Alaska & he mentioned

"Yes, we have bicyclists who equip their bikes with studded tires and ride the wilderness trails when they can. I obtained GPS traces from a fellow that rode a fat-tire bike on the Iditarod Trail, a 1,000 mile trip through the wilds from Anchorage to Nome, in mid-winter." :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iditarod_Trail#/media/File:Iditarod_Trail_BLM_map.jpg

"Iditarod" - no, sorry, think that mau be a slight misprint - I'm sure it should be Idiot Road! >:D

and one of them (a good mate of mine) has done it 4 times now on an Australian designed fat bike...

Wayne & Kyria Chapman

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #1074 on: July 05, 2018, 05:32:07 PM »
I can see why car driver's are annoyed with cyclists after my run in with angry commuter cyclist this morning.

Turning left with my indicator on, I see a bike rider in my rear mirror about 50m away with his 400 LEDs flashing racing down the bike lane. As I go to turn the corner he starts trying to smash my LHS tail light with his fist. As I have right of way, I turned the corner to which he starts hurling abuse that I nearly killed him. I stopped quickly around the corner and walked over to where he had stopped and was ranting to any pedestrian that would listen.

In a slow but forceful tone, I said "I'm going to tell you 3 things, 1 - see the bike racks on my car roof, I am a cyclist too and I know the road rules which you obviously don't, 2 - I have right of way as my left hand indicator was on, you had plenty of time to slow down instead you sped up to try and pass on the inside, I can therefore have you booked for failure to give way, 3 - I can also have you booked for wilful damage for trying to smash my tail light. Now get back on your bike and f!@K off, next time you try and be a dick at least know and understand the road rules."

As I walked back to my car the pedestrians who where trying to lynch me previously nodded and said nice job.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:36:05 PM by D4D »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado