Author Topic: Show us your bike (bicycle)  (Read 488984 times)

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Show us your bike (bicycle)
« Reply #950 on: December 04, 2017, 08:33:43 PM »
When you stop and think what the bikes they ride at the Olympics Commonwealth Game and Worlds can be $50000+, $20000 isn't so bad. 

Foo

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #951 on: December 04, 2017, 09:15:59 PM »
When you stop and think what the bikes they ride at the Olympics Commonwealth Game and Worlds can be $50000+, $20000 isn't so bad. 

Foo

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
I wonder where they end up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #952 on: December 04, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »
I suspect they are so bespoke that they are useless to anyone but the rider they were designed for - remember they are chasing the tiniest of advantages, and if a bike that fits just so does that, then that's what'll happen.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #953 on: December 05, 2017, 07:31:47 PM »
Completed a few upgrades on my son's bike. XT M8000 brakes, Zee shifter and Zee short cage derailleur, XT 11-36 cassette & XT chain, Marsh guard and NS Bikes flat pedals.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:50:21 PM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #954 on: December 07, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »
^ lucky boy. My sons are only getting hand-me-downs until they can pay for their own stuff.

One more sleep til new bike day!

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #955 on: December 28, 2017, 07:16:57 PM »
Just finished building my oldest grandsons new BMX race bike . Full GT  Factory Carbon Fiber frame and forks , Bombshell carbon fiber wheel set , Speedline carbon fiber cranks, Box carbon fiber seat and post , Lightweight Box stem set and Promax brakes.

" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #956 on: December 28, 2017, 09:47:31 PM »
Just been looking at what Decathlon have on offer - this looks an interesting prospect for AU$1300 ex Sydney.
https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8366620_rockrider-900-275quote-mountain-bike-grey-lime.html#/1146-457-s_1m50_1m65

They used to be really good on prices - especially at the top end - in the late 1990's it was the cheapest way to get an XTR groupset... buy a bike and remove the XTR bits... cheaper than buying them off a bike... Not sure how that SRAM groupset is ranked now. Their website still needs a few updates - they refer to 2016, and we're well on to 2018 bikes now....

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #957 on: December 29, 2017, 08:21:28 AM »
Just finished building my oldest grandsons new BMX race bike . Full GT  Factory Carbon Fiber frame and forks , Bombshell carbon fiber wheel set , Speedline carbon fiber cranks, Box carbon fiber seat and post , Lightweight Box stem set and Promax brakes.

That is a schmick bike and what a lucky grandson! :cup: 8)

Foo

Offline KieranR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #958 on: December 29, 2017, 10:28:33 AM »
let me introduce you to my daily ride at work...this is white lightning, its a piece of sh!t but so rad with the two baskets.

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #959 on: December 30, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »

I've always wondered why bmx bikes even have seats? The racing I've watched, the rider never sits down!
Trials bikes did away with seats years ago.

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #960 on: February 03, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »
Getting back into riding I picked up an aldi 29er on clearance and put it together, tuned the gears and it’s going well. I really need the next size up but this will do me for now with higher seat post. Got a question about the spokes though a couple seem lose, can I just tighten them with no effect? I know how spokes can affect a wheels roundness and tracking
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #961 on: February 03, 2018, 11:17:12 AM »
Got a question about the spokes though a couple seem lose, can I just tighten them with no effect? I know how spokes can affect a wheels roundness and tracking

You'll need a spoke key, essentially you can give the nipples a few turns and check the true each time. From memory the Aldi bike has disc brakes so a perfect wheel true isn't as important as it is with rim brakes.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado
The following users thanked this post: achjimmy

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #962 on: February 03, 2018, 11:23:47 AM »
You'll need a spoke key, essentially you can give the nipples a few turns and check the true each time. From memory the Aldi bike has disc brakes so a perfect wheel true isn't as important as it is with rim brakes.

Thanks mate , I have a spoke key but it’s a flat travel one which isn’t ideal to do a lot . I’ll get a better one online. Probably thing that lets the aldi 29er down for the price is the fasteners, you can just feel the Allen screws are hard to get the keys into compared to my sons giant fathom 1.

All good fun and for the price wow, can only see this costing more from here 😆

Jim

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #963 on: February 03, 2018, 11:29:20 AM »
...can only see this costing more from here 😆

Next thing you know you're waking up in the middle of the night to watch the downhill on Red Bull TV >:D >:D >:D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:37:05 AM by D4D »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #964 on: February 03, 2018, 11:40:50 AM »
Next thing you know you're waking up in the middle of the night to watch the downhill on Red Bull TV >:D >:D >:D

Better still is N+1 to go and ride in the local DH race

Need to get out this weekend for a pedal

GG

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #965 on: February 03, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »
Getting back into riding I picked up an aldi 29er on clearance and put it together, tuned the gears and it’s going well. I really need the next size up but this will do me for now with higher seat post. Got a question about the spokes though a couple seem lose, can I just tighten them with no effect? I know how spokes can affect a wheels roundness and tracking
There was still some unsold? What did you pay for it? I've got one and for the money I can't fault it. The only thing I've done is put a better saddle on it.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #966 on: February 03, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »
There was still some unsold? What did you pay for it? I've got one and for the money I can't fault it. The only thing I've done is put a better saddle on it.
Cheers, Mike.

$250 I find the saddle okay. I’ve got it fully back but it’s just made it wanna mono peddling uphill. I’ll look at something better if I get into it or maybe a aldi large when they come out again

Jim

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #967 on: February 03, 2018, 04:47:41 PM »
Spoke keys should come with a warning. I would recommend getting the LBS to tension spokes unless you know what you are doing and have a trueing rig.

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #968 on: February 03, 2018, 04:57:01 PM »
Spoke keys should come with a warning. I would recommend getting the LBS to tension spokes unless you know what you are doing and have a trueing rig.

I always remember reading somewhere many moons ago (about 20 years...) that they were the most expensive tool you could pick up...

However, if you have a well built wheel it should rarely need to see a spoke key - one of mine was (over-) built many years ago, and is still going strong and has only been touched a few times in it's life.
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #969 on: February 03, 2018, 07:03:00 PM »
Finally got out to lysterfield today on the genius what a great spot was only there for a couple of hours but did around 20ks of trails was a great morning for it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #970 on: February 04, 2018, 06:48:00 AM »
‘The one’ arrived. Just a fb tease pic. I hope he doesn’t mind me using it. I’ll have a squizz later on. And get some decent pics. I can see a zipp stem so changes have been made.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 06:59:18 AM by GBC »

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #971 on: February 04, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »

Yeah thanks I’ve spoked a few bike wheels and trued a couple. I guess what’s threw me is a couple of spokes feel a tad loose but the nipples seem tight. I’ll see how it goes.

I should have checked the rear axle before riding it rather than worrying about the spokes opps

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #972 on: February 04, 2018, 09:24:21 AM »
Took the Aldi bike for a few Kms down this walking track near our place with a couple of steps. Geez the 29” wheels are great. Definetly a tad small for me and reckon if I get into it I might try a rear suspension bike .

Jim

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #973 on: February 04, 2018, 12:23:39 PM »
Yeah thanks I’ve spoked a few bike wheels and trued a couple. I guess what’s threw me is a couple of spokes feel a tad loose but the nipples seem tight. I’ll see how it goes.

I should have checked the rear axle before riding it rather than worrying about the spokes opps

I have one also and had a few spokes come loose but I just nipped them up along with checking bottom bracket and wheel bearing tensions and am more than happy with mine.  ;D

They say that the 29ers aren't good for cornering quick but be buggered if I know how they work that out?  ??? I can fly around them okay.  ;D

Foo

Offline Claws

• Tent User
« Reply #974 on: February 05, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
Restored my old 1979 Mongoose BMX for my 12yr old daughter, she loves it but I'm a bit larger than I was back then so her friends ride my old 1980 Redline BMX. The Redline has Nos Snakebelly tyres and repro pads, other than those it is completely original.