Author Topic: Small SUV's RAV ,ix35, Vitara, Captive etc.  (Read 10656 times)

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
Re: Small SUV's RAV ,ix35, Vitara, Captive etc.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »
We had the top of the range diesel ix35 and loved it. PLENTY of power and VERY good on fuel.

Our only complaint was the angle of the rear windows was too high for either of the kids to see out of.
We upgraded to a Pajero Exceed for the extra space and towing capacity.

Loved the ix35 though.

Offline Robin Miller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »
Also been looking for a small suv replacement for our 2005 RAV4 Nomad.

Done a lot of research and driven most of them but getting servrely dissappointed.

Basically , I can't find a car to match let alone exceed the 2005 RAV4 - almost ready to start searching for a mint condition old RAV.

I currently drive a GU patrol and believe it not many of the new small SUV's have grown fat and less
powerful than before.

The new RAV is actually fatter than a GQ I used to have and slightly fatter than the current base model GU Patrol
(hasn't got plastic mudguards).

The IX35 looked good on paper but my first review scan showed that about 8 out of 40 had brakes redone by 30K -
but not just new linings , apparently the steel is soft and thin and most brakes couldn't evenbe  machined.

I got > 100'000 out of our RAV brakes  and still going.

It goes on and on - not 1 of the new ones had the cargo height loadability , nor width and most are quite long.
We help out with some older people sometimes and not one of the new cars could load there walker straight
in without folding up or laying sideways.

None had the visibility - the CX5 felt like a sub half under water.

Most didn't have the power to weight ratio -  Suzuki and RAV have dropped there V6 options.

On none of them can you start car without getting in and putting foot on brake first.

Holden Trax was a fun car though if you don't mind a fair bit of engine noise and limited luggage space.

Offline Davepatrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 4.2 Patrol with a lot of extras
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
The Vitara is the only one that will go any where :cup:.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
Well we took a RAV and an ix35 for a spin today
The Rav we drove was a higher spec 2.5litre AWD and it went like the proverbial
The ix35 we took was a lower spec and manual
The Rav was good the mrs did't like the ix35, apparently there is a new spec due out this month
Looked at the cx5 but the leg room in the back is awful and the seats in the front seem to be cut shorter to try and get more room in the back
Will persue the Rav at this stage I think........................................

Offline 4runnernomore

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
Ok its on the list.
SUV's on:

ix35...3 fixed services for $279 then who know......every 15K. Full size alloy spare in boot.

SUV's off
Captiva
Kia

Lost, its just time.........she can't drive a **** heap around forever......and she would really do some damage in something like an XD. I have been promised that this one will be regularly looked after....and our kids are getting older so they aren't as messy now. And if she trashes it she'll just have to drive it until dies..... >:D >:D

If you are keeping the Hyundai till it dies half your service intervals if you want to keep it.
My wife has a Hyundai Trajet people mover with close to 200000 km now with no major probs (touch wood).  I halted the service intervals to 7500 and all the other majors like auto transmission, fuel filters etc.

Car mechanically is as good as new.
Cheers, Chris

Offline MDCowners

• Learning the Ropes
  • 2008 grand vitara towing mdc v3 camper
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »
Suzuki grand vitara   x4
just loving life

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 07:59:59 AM »
The IX35 looked good on paper but my first review scan showed that about 8 out of 40 had brakes redone by 30K -
but not just new linings , apparently the steel is soft and thin and most brakes couldn't evenbe  machined.

I got > 100'000 out of our RAV brakes  and still going.

That is pretty common with most new cars. Brake components  ( discs) do not last like they used to. Crusiers, Pajeros are all suffering. The answers is aftermarket when required.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline paulo

• Tent User
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 08:04:54 AM »
Hi Nomad,

We did a similar thing to you and ended up with the iX35. First long trip yesterday (7 hours all up). Found the interior road noise VERY loud. It was weird how loud it was actually, and it was all freeway/highway driving.

All the best.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »
Another with petrol/diesel models that comes to mind is the Outlander.
My SIL is in the same boat at the moment although petrol only as she reckons that filling up with diesel is too messy when dolled up for work/shops/coffee with the girls etc. & I can't argue with her there.
Both my vehicles are diesel & 90% of servo pumps are oily, messy things that will never rust.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 07:00:24 AM »
Thanks for that Paulo. THat put the nail in the coffin for the yundi.
Rav was ordered yesterday.............I am now taking bets on the time it takes to get its first ding.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 07:01:24 AM »
.............I am now taking bets on the time it takes to get its first ding.

I can lend you my wife, she won't take long to dint it :(
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paulo

• Tent User
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 11:29:59 AM »
Glad to be of help.

I'm not going to mention dings other than we thought Miss 5 had christened a back door last week whilst helping Mr 7 because he was coming around to her side because there was no room to open his door. Slow motion and screams of STOP were useless and Bang! straight into the Black Merc SUV parked next to it. The P plated driver hardly got her head out of her phone, we were apologising profusely and all she had to offer was "Doesn't matter. Don't worry about it". Our car survived thankfully, but I can't help but wonder what happened to the other girl when she got home and told Mum and Dad all about it!

I'm sure you'll be fine with the Rav.

All the best.

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »
I can lend you my wife, she won't take long to dint it :(
Ha...........my wife will destroy it before your wife even opens the door...................I think I will keep this thread going as the "laugh at the abuse this car gets" thread.

I saw the trade in sheet for the trashtra yesterday and it was a funny read.

:cheers:

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 07:01:10 AM »
Subaru has the best driveline layout if its ever going to be used in low traction areas as the transverse transmissions on the others causes traction loss.  (found this in our Rav4 that was a beauty otherwise)   See here;

http://youtu.be/ooQRxlChvMw

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline MIC78C

• "Lock the hubs, and hold it flat"
  • Swag User
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »
My wife got herself the new Captiva 5 a couple of months ago. It's a petrol/auto, and for under $30k it is a cracking little car. Has all the lairy stuff like sunroof, ipod control and bluteooth phone, cruise, parking sensors etc.
We left the 80 at home and took it for a drive to Melb for a bit of a holiday (4000k round trip). I was a bit nervous about its size (me, the wife, 4yo boy and 2yo boy), but we had plenty of room for all our gear, and only had pillows packed up above the rear seats. It has 5 year warranty, 5 year free roadside assist, and 5 year services capped at $275.
I was a bit hesitant about buying it, considering how Shit the (some) older ones were, but the longer we own it, the more we confirm that it is the right choice for us.
Cheers,
Mick

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 06:38:52 PM »
Subaru has the best driveline layout if its ever going to be used in low traction areas as the transverse transmissions on the others causes traction loss.  (found this in our Rav4 that was a beauty otherwise)   See here;

http://youtu.be/ooQRxlChvMw

Absolutely..........I have had a WRX, GT Liberty and a couple of Forresters as work cars and agree with you entirely. I also recently helped my FIL buy a Forrester cos it was the easiest to get a wheel chair in and out.........the new Forrester was more than I wanted to spend, went like a shower of Shit and I also thought that the panels, being a lighter gauge would be a bit of a disadvantage given my wifes propensity to bump into things.

The WRX also did the odd run to teewah.................it was fun driving that thing on the beach, I tell you.

Have just been told our new car wont be delivered to the end of the month.

Cheers Nomad.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »
Hi Nomad,

We did a similar thing to you and ended up with the iX35. First long trip yesterday (7 hours all up). Found the interior road noise VERY loud. It was weird how loud it was actually, and it was all freeway/highway driving.

All the best.

Ditch the Korean spec original equipment  tyres ASAP. High speed running on freeways is not in their design parameters!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 07:43:49 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »
Ditch the Korean spec original equipment  tyres ASAP.
A lot of the newer Hyundai's actually come out with pretty good premium ya looks that aren't too bad I like the older spec tyres.
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....