Author Topic: In a dilemma! Prado diesel or not?  (Read 15052 times)

Offline chriso57

• Swag User
Re: In a dilemma! Prado diesel or not?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
If diesel foget second hand the price difference between second hand 150 series with low k and new is very small

Spot on Chester. I was looking at 2009-2010 D4D GXL's. By the time I paid stamp duty, possibly new tyres etc it was nearly the same for a newie, and we all know there is nothing better than a brand new car :cheers:

Diesel, Auto all the way for me.

Chriso
2012 D4D Prado towing
Custom built 7x4 Soft floor

Offline McAbouts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »
"From memory bloke on patrol forum was handed $8000 bill after he copped a bad tank on a holiday."

This is exactly what we are worried about.  With injectors being approx $900 each and replacing the engine costing thousands, it's not something we fancy.
In our research we have heard people have put in a duel fuel filter to try and counteract the problem of bad diesel.
Does anyone do this? How have you found it? Effective?

Haven't looked at any other 4WD. The Prado we have is great and have had no issues. We just need some more towing power for the Trackabout so we don't take forever to get places. Hubby likes the Prado so have been going down that route at the moment.

Cheers
Louise :D
2002 Prado
2010 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »
Over the years there has been Petrol motors go bang due to bad fuel. Don't let it worry you, be a bit vigilant where you fill up. Don't run it empty and keep your fuel receipts like D4D says so should you cop a dose of bad fuel.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 04:49:01 AM »
"From memory bloke on patrol forum was handed $8000 bill after he copped a bad tank on a holiday."

This is exactly what we are worried about.  With injectors being approx $900 each and replacing the engine costing thousands, it's not something we fancy.
In our research we have heard people have put in a duel fuel filter to try and counteract the problem of bad diesel.
Does anyone do this? How have you found it? Effective?

Haven't looked at any other 4WD. The Prado we have is great and have had no issues. We just need some more towing power for the Trackabout so we don't take forever to get places. Hubby likes the Prado so have been going down that route at the moment.

Cheers
Louise :D

I am having an additional filter installed in my cruiser. A water watch filter type arrangement. We met a lot of travellers in our 18000km trip last year but not one had any fuel problems. I am very paranoid about this, having a new diesel truck. Good luck. P.S. W only just sold our 02 Prado and yes it does lack some power but an upgraded exhaust and chip might solve your problems. The exhaust did wonders for ours.
fuji
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:51:59 AM by fuji »
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 06:49:16 AM »
Go the Preloved Pajero Oiler , fit a snorkel & bigger exaust system , l have & the result is very pleasing indeed :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »
Go the Preloved Pajero Oiler , fit a snorkel & bigger exaust system , l have & the result is very pleasing indeed :cheers:

I happen to know where a Auto MY10 Pajero Platinum diesel with 56,000km in Silver with , diff lock, DVD player, ARB bar, , Long Range tank (148l total), Bilstien's, 50mm lift, airbags,  Stebel horn, bushskinz bash plates  Piranha diff breathers, BFG AT's 275/65/17R (20k), Airtec Snorkel.  Second battery and isolater, 6 b&s to the rear, Sandgrabba mats will be avaiable for about $46k?  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry OT
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »
Spot on Chester. I was looking at 2009-2010 D4D GXL's. By the time I paid stamp duty, possibly new tyres etc it was nearly the same for a newie, and we all know there is nothing better than a brand new car :cheers:

Diesel, Auto all the way for me.

Chriso

Yep it has not changed i had the same dilemma in 2005 when i bought my prado anthing second hand with under 50k on the clock was only about a 2k price difference between new so i just bit the bullet and bought a new one
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 01:46:25 PM »
As for the fuel thing dont stress i went half way around the block the buety of the prado is the range so you can keep going to major centres and get good quality fuel rather than be forced into buying some no name truck stop stuff cause the needle has been sitting below the E for the last 50k
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Tuffprada

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 12:24:49 AM »
Go the 2012 GXL with Diesel, you can really knock them down on price and bloody good to tow with. I can not fault it and like people have said, by the time you transfer, new tyres etc, you may as well get a new one, then you have new car warranty.
2012 Toyota Prado with OME 2 inch lift, dual batteries, ARB winch bull bar, Safari snorkel, BF ATs, Hayman Reece tow bar (look better then the factory job), Hella Rallye 4000 & 2012 Jayco Swan Outback with a dingy on top.