Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673337 times)

Marschy

Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »
Where are you gunna put the motors on them amps?

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG

Marschy

« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
Can only comment on what I know. The controller is a goodun', and coupled with GPS will probably have features like altitude hold. 550 size is more stable for FPV than the 450 and you can run large batteries due to good payload capacity. There are probably down sides but haven't looked at 550's that much. This size appears to be the magic size where things start getting very expensive indeed.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »
Any comments on these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bumblebee-550-Quadcopter-CF-W-Props-Motor-ESC-NAZA-Controller-DJI-GPS-Module-/151179991672?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item2333079a78

GG

You need to budget for the Tx and then Vtx/Rx and some sort of ground station or goggles for FPV and a camera gimbal not only in cost but in weight.
I have read some good things about the bumblebee.
Being a folding design would make it easy to transport.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Marschy

« Reply #154 on: March 03, 2014, 11:52:08 AM »
Aw crap, I got impatient doing all the wiring for the KK2.1 board yesterday and I think I may have fried the board when I connected the voltage monitor up the wrong way.

The wiring all the way back to the lipo battery has melted and because the wire was so thin, it burnt out like a fuse. The board still appears to be working, but without the last ESC connected I cannot work out if the board is stuffed or not. If I arm the board and run 3 motors only, motor 1, which does not have a matching motor at position 3 slowly increases speed without any input from the transmitter, all by itself. It is a very slow gradual increase, which suggests to me it's the firmware doing this. I think this may simply be the firmware trying to level the quad but without input from motor 3 it's getting confused.

The ESC's should be here any day so I will be able to tell pretty soon if I need to order another board.

This is the first thing I stuffed up so far, apart from the ESC not flashing. Funny thing with the ESC is that it still works with the original firmware, so I reckon not being able to flash it would indicate that there is a problem with the ESC in the first place and it is probably a good thing that it is not going on the quad. It can't now anyway, the firmware differences between the 3 flashed ESC's and the remaining one without SimonK firmware would most likely cause me issues anyway.

So close to getting this sucker in the air. A bit more patience on my part would have had it in the air this coming weekend. This could still be the case, but I will just have to wait and see.

Cheers, Marschy

Marschy

« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
I definitely fried the KK board. Motor one goes into a slow runaway acceleration increase when you apply the smallest amount of throttle with all four new HK ESC's installed. I couldn't flash the new ESC's so they are all using bog standard software. The first ESC makes a crackling noise when I apply the throttle, not good. Motor still spins up, so I haven't stuffed the ESC (touch wood).

Ordered new KK board today. Paid top dollar for postage from the Hobbyking AU warehouse so should (could) be here for the weekend. Also replaced the hexagonal mounting board for the KK with a round one that will fit the canopy from the imitation security camera.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:24:50 PM by Marschy »

Marschy

« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »
Fried board or not, the build goes on.

The new canopy fits great, and the Fatshark PilotHD camera on it's tilt servo (runs on channel 6, no more channels  :-[)

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »
Will be good to see it flying.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Tim - Stratford

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Sarah's Canvas Products
    • Canvas Jaffle Iron Covers

Sarah's Canvas Products...
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=30053.0

Marschy

« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »
Twernt me. Has anybody seen my phone, or stash?

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »
I can neither confirm or deny I was in the area.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
I made a mistake last Saturday: I went into a hobby store.
Those plane are great. I had a chat with one of the guys and had a go at the simulator.
Mmmm, maybe I have to get a Bixler?

Marschy

« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »
I made a mistake last Saturday: I went into a hobby store.
Those plane are great. I had a chat with one of the guys and had a go at the simulator.
Mmmm, maybe I have to get a Bixler?
I'm looking at something similar, the FPVRaptor. Look at some example footage on YouTube of both the bixler and the raptor. Most often the nose of the bixler is in the field of view of the camera, but not with the stumpy, wide nosed raptor. Both excellent value though.

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »
A couple of photos from the weekend

We are on the beach and we are looking over our camps at Rosebud
A little image and a Firefox cub enjoying a swim

However no photos over the remand centre (that I am going to admit to at least)

Regards
Crispy

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2014, 09:58:18 AM »
Looking good Marchy, but where do you buy them?
Of Hobbyking?
They don't have a RTF in Australia.

Marschy

« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2014, 04:25:01 PM »
Looking good Marchy, but where do you buy them?
Of Hobbyking?
They don't have a RTF in Australia.

Get it from the Hobbyking international warehouse FPV Raptor Composite 1600mm

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »
Can't:
"Due to recent changes in Air Transport safety, we cannot ship orders from Hong Kong containing a box length of more than 1 meter with Lithium batteries of more than 1,000mAh
Please kindly order your batteries and large planes separately.
Orders from our regional warehouses (DE,US,AU,UK) are not affected by this restriction."

What is the best mode to use for the transmittor if you can only use your left hand? Mode 1

Marschy

« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »
There is an example of what could be a suitable transmitter to be seen on the flite test YouTube channel. A guy and his father make a rudder control that is a potentiometer that rotates on the end of the rudder/elevator gimbal, effectively giving 3 axis control on one transmitter stick. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

Marschy

« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »
I just reread the message you received from hobbyking. What this means is you will need to raise the order for the batteries in one order, and you should be able to get whatever battery you need from the Australian warehouse. Then raise another order for the plane from the international warehouse. It means you'll pay a bit more for shipping with two orders but until the Australian warehouse receives stock that the quickest way to order it. The international listing site states that stock is in transit to Australia, but I don't know how long that has been the case.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2014, 06:03:57 PM »
You can't see how much shipping/transport is.
The table they provide goes to 1.5 kg, while these planes are over that weight.

Another thing.
How much open space would you need to learn to fly?

Marschy

« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2014, 06:16:04 PM »
I'll find out how much shipping is as I have an account. Football field size space, then multiply that by two or more times that space. Honestly, my best advice if you haven't flown fixed wing before is to join a rc model club and get trained on a buddy radio system where they hook your radio up by cable to an instructors radio and they take over control if you loose control

Marschy

« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »
Shipping is $42.52, total including shipping is $118.28. But you will need a radio as well. Suggest the turnigy 9xr plus orange Tx module and 9 channel receiver (this is what I'm looking at getting). Cheap as chips for a nine channel radio. Also look into the multiwii or similar (cyclops storm) flight stabiliser board and gps. The cyclops has lots of excellent reviews and gives you things like altitude hold, pilot assist, which correct the aircraft due to wind buffet, return to home.

Marschy

« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2014, 07:26:52 PM »
What is the best mode to use for the transmittor if you can only use your left hand? Mode 1
Howdy Wilsurf,

Mode 2 may be more suitable, as you can still steer a plane using a techique called bank and yank (search youtube). A mode 2 radio could prove to be even more suitable if you can get a hold of one of the rudder controls mentioned in this video Flite Test - Stingray 500 - REVIEW.
Then with a plane, the throttle would be mostly set and forget and then all control provided by the right stick (aileron/elevator and possibly rudder). Most times when I'm flying, I've got time to take my hand off one of the controls and scratch my arse or shoe a fly away and still only have one hand flying a plane or quad for a short period of time with mode 1. So if you are flying mode 2, then once the throttle is set at takeoff and you are flying straight and level, you can remove your hand from the right stick, set the throttle on the left stick to a comfortable speed, then move your hand back to the right stick to control the attitude of the plane again.

Mode 2 is

right gimbal = up/down - elevator (yank), right/left - aileron (bank)
left gimbal = up/down - throttle (which is friction controlled meaning it stays where you leave it, i.e. set and forget), right/left - rudder.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:32:47 PM by Marschy »

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2014, 09:56:02 AM »
Thanks.
It would be easier to have the steering controls on the left stick as I am left handed.
So $118.28 for the Raptor delivered? Not bad.