Author Topic: Australian Made from now on, who's in?  (Read 26343 times)

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Australian Made from now on, who's in?
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2020, 01:31:46 PM »
Thanks!

I always thought that was only the right to use water, not actual ownership of it :-[ >:(

Our scum bag federal and state govts have sold billions of litres of water that they never should have.  How did we reach such a disastrous position with our Murry/Darling water supply...Because the bastards had a 20 litre bucket of water and by figure smudging and wizardry sold 40 litres from the bucket...
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 03:40:25 PM »
Our scum bag federal and state govts have sold billions of litres of water that they never should have.  How did we reach such a disastrous position with our Murry/Darling water supply...Because the bastards had a 20 litre bucket of water and by figure smudging and wizardry sold 40 litres from the bucket...

That’s the best explanation of the Murray-Darling debacle I have read.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »

Even if they were selling it by the 40L out of a 20L bucket, it would still have taken them a f'kin long time to sell that much, wouldn't it?  ;D
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MreOwaET1og
might have been aussie owned back then?

Mate, that advert has a bloke with a Yank accent, so I'd say was Yank owned back then, then multinational later on.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

CTL

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2020, 10:08:47 PM »
This is what you said originally

What about food items for a start?
Buy only Aussie food stuffs and leave the china crap on the shelves.
The " overlords" can't dictate to us what we buy so why is that an issue?

I asked

Please provide some examples of Chinese sourced food items on the shelves in the supermarket?  I think they would be pretty rare.

And you replied

Chinese sourced foods on supermarket shelves??????

So back to you.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Australian Made from now on, who's in?
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2020, 11:12:36 PM »
Now if we're all up for a good conspiracy theory ... ???

I love a good conspiracy theory... Especially one from Fox News, Breitbart or The Federalist.... ;) ;D

Just somewhat surprised that all of those Chinese workers building the rail links to Russia or the ones building all of those new ports on the pacific islands didn’t spread the virus as quickly as the ones working in Italy and Iran.... ;D

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2020, 11:43:54 PM »
Now if we're all up for a good conspiracy theory ... ???

Just got this from a mate:

"Why Italy and Iran?
Italy and Iran have been two of the countries hardest hit by the Wuhan coronavirus, outside of China. Why? Helen Raleigh explains at The Federalist:

The reason these two countries are suffering the most outside China is mainly due to their close ties with Beijing, primarily through the “One Belt and One Road” (OBOR) initiative.

Interesting theory, but who knows ???

Wonder how she is going to explain how the USA is now the country with the most cases!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:46:13 PM by bkim »

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2020, 05:24:11 AM »
My misses calls me a brand snob if and when I do the shopping when I'm home and then says why did it cost a bomb. At least the buck stays here in Aus with me. I always have supported home grown produce and will always continue to do so.
Ultimate LC79 Combo
The following users thanked this post: GeoffA, MarkGU

Offline Mitch92

• Tent User
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2020, 05:50:27 AM »
So what's your stance on foreign owned but locally produced/made items?

For example at least one milk company is foreign owned, however all the milk comes from cows here in Australia, on Australian farms, employing Aussies.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2020, 07:00:18 AM »
The big thing for me is if you are trying to shop consciously, then you should know the parent companies of your chosen brands.

Your milk example is a good one.
We’re fortunate here, our fresh milk comes from the dairy 10km down the road. They’re 100% local, our money stays in our community with that one.

But we get our long life milk from Aldi.
The milk is 100% Australian from Norco, but everyone loves to slam Aldi for not being Australian.

I my view Aldi does a good job employing locals and sells a good range of Australian products.
And just as importantly, Aldi is the competition that Coles and Woolies desperately didn’t want, and we all know what Coles and Woolies did when they had no competition.
So I’ll happily throw Aldi a few bucks to keep them around and keep the bastards honest, as they say. ;)
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline Rowlie

• Swag User
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2020, 08:04:37 AM »
I think your cause is an honourable one MarkGU and yes we should preference our buying to locally manufactured goods. I don't think we should distance China or anywhere else for that matter though. The package our government announced yesterday is unbelievable. It is only possible though because of our economic position which is largely dependent on China's economy. Before this crisis we had low unemployment, high net wealth, low debt and so on. We are in a partnership with China when it comes to trade. If they did to us what you are suggesting we do to them ie avoided our brand, our standard of living would fall dramatically. Almost inevitably a part of nearly everything we buy comes from somewhere else and dominantly China. The food in the tin might come from Oz and the steel in the tin might contain Oz iron ore but the tin is probably manufactured in China. The factory equipment that fills the tin will come from overseas but most importantly at least some of the product in the tin is likely to be exported to China.
I again support your cause to put Oz first but if we want to continue to enjoy our standard of living after Covid19 we shouldn't distance ourselves from our trading partnerships anywhere.
The following users thanked this post: Spada

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2020, 09:21:02 AM »
Quote from: Pete79
The big thing for me is if you are trying to shop consciously, then you should know the parent companies of your chosen brands. 
that is nearly impossible though with all teh double dutch and PC bullShit where the Gov allows 'Made in Australia" labels when infact, a small % of it is made in AU.

I my view Aldi does a good job employing locals and sells a good range of Australian products.
They sell amazing amounts of product from O/S...  of all sorts.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2020, 10:01:31 AM »
I love a good conspiracy theory...

Happy to oblige ;D

As I said, who knows if there's any facts behind it, but having said that, was looking at FlightRadar earlier on & there were 2 Mahan Air jet's airborne over Western China, enroute from Beijing to Tehran! ::) ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2020, 10:27:18 AM »
My misses calls me a brand snob if and when I do the shopping when I'm home and then says why did it cost a bomb. At least the buck stays here in Aus with me. I always have supported home grown produce and will always continue to do so.
I've alway wondered why the Farmers federation dont open up a shop chain and give the finger to Colesworth and keep the profits they deserve themselves...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline JD-120

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2020, 10:35:46 AM »
probably contractual and or if they did, then Coles / wollies no buy their produce any longer. There is always someone that will provide the stock, including from OS
Cheers

Justin

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2020, 10:48:19 AM »
Quote from: JD-120
probably contractual and or if they did, then Coles / wollies no buy their produce any longer. There is always someone that will provide the stock, including from OS

True, but Gov Co should (or could?) support the Farmers Fed in some sort of initiate like this after all the Shit has hit the fan and died down.. or am I dreaming :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »
There is a food shortage looming as poor seasons, combined with coronavirus reducing availablilty of cheap labour and countries not exporting their crops all turn into a perfect storm.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
There is a food shortage looming as poor seasons, combined with coronavirus reducing availablilty of cheap labour and countries not exporting their crops all turn into a perfect storm.

Lot's of places, yes, quite possibly, but Oz should be OK ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2020, 11:57:54 AM »
Lot's of places, yes, quite possibly, but Oz should be OK ???

Only if all the unemployed barista's decide to go fruit picking on minimum wage to offset the lack of backpackers  >:D
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2020, 11:58:44 AM »

So the doom and gloomers of the UN say.  Thought they would be happy about COVID19 and all it reaps.  After all the UN is the one pushing to have the population reduced as it allegedly can not maintain the current and projected population levels.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »
Only if all the unemployed barista's decide to go fruit picking on minimum wage to offset the lack of backpackers  >:D
I recon those baristas would be stoked to actually get paid for working sundays again... :D

Seriously though, I saw some interviews with farmers in the southern states saying they are getting swamped with applications.
Typically got a couple of work inquiries every week or so, now getting dozens every day.
Tradies, pilots, retail workers, you name it they are actively seeking any paid work they can get.

One farmer commented that as much as he'd like take on everyone he thought there was enough struggling people in the local town to cover his needs.
He was also concerned with bringing in people from the cities that could potentially bring the virus into these little towns.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2020, 04:35:50 PM »

So the doom and gloomers of the UN say.  Thought they would be happy about COVID19 and all it reaps.  After all the UN is the one pushing to have the population reduced as it allegedly can not maintain the current and projected population levels.

And yet the UN is full of fat, old , lazy bastards...Maybe start the cull there..
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »
True, but Gov Co should (or could?) support the Farmers Fed in some sort of initiate like this after all the Shit has hit the fan and died down.. or am I dreaming :(

Another ship that sailed many decades ago.

The cost of establishing a retail chain would run into the zillions. That's why Coles and Woolworths (and Aldi) have market dominance. They have spent the money the infrastructure over many many years.  

They had to get big. Bit like many farmers who face the get big or get out quandary.   

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2020, 05:12:23 PM »
And yet the UN is full of fat, old , lazy bastards...Maybe start the cull there..
But like most politicians smart enough and work hard enough to get there!

If it was that easy to become a federal MP on several hundred thousand a year, we would all be one. Same goes for CEO, doctors, lawyers and most high income earners.  Plenty of attractive young women, but they don't all become supermodels, so I wonder what differentiates those that do from those that don't - perseverance and hard work expect, with a bit of luck thrown in.  Same goes for the Instagram influencers.

Getting really sick and tired of people having a go at successful people. >:(
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2020, 05:14:45 PM »
But like most politicians smart enough and work hard enough to get there!

If it was that easy to become a federal MP on several hundred thousand a year, we would all be one. Same goes for CEO, doctors, lawyers and most high income earners.  Plenty of attractive young women, but they don't all become supermodels, so I wonder what differentiates those that do from those that don't - perseverance and hard work expect, with a bit of luck thrown in.  Same goes for the Instagram influencers.

Getting really sick and tired of people having a go at successful people. >:(

Mate, it's an Aussie tradition... LOL