Author Topic: Tentworld Woolloongabba - QLD Now Open!  (Read 20498 times)

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Tent User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
Tentworld Woolloongabba - QLD Now Open!
« on: May 02, 2018, 11:07:34 AM »
Hi Swaggers, 

Yesterday,  we were able to open the doors for the first time to show off our new showroom.  Whilst we're still putting the final touches on some displays, the shop is looking great and is HUGE! More than 2x the size of the Windsor shop. 

The new address is 178 Logan Rd, Woolloongabba QLD 4350 or use this link to see where we are on Google Maps
 https://goo.gl/maps/J14r2J2spk92

Here are some happy snaps of the shop to whet your appetite:

We are still continuing with setting up displays, but please feel free to drop in and check out the store.  We think you'll be suitably impressed! 

Happy Camping ! 

Kind Regards, 

Jon
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:57:38 PM by Jon Burrell - Tentworld »
Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Tentworld Woolloongabba Now Open!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
Looking good mate. How about opening a store in Victoria?  In shepparton ? There's an empty Rays in the main street.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion
The following users thanked this post: Jon Burrell - Tentworld

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
Theres one in Ferntree Gully

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
I noticed the one at Windsor has closed but didn’t know you had just moved to Woolloongabba.

I’m in the market for a new tent so will be sure to drop in.

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 01:14:42 PM »
Cheers Gordo! 

We do have one store in Victoria currently,  in Ferntree Gully, Melbourne.  A short, easy 209km, 2hrs 30min Sunday drive from Shepparton!!   ;D   

Here is the Google Maps link to its location:  https://goo.gl/maps/yDci6MjqJNt it is a large store too. 

We are also happy to set aside stock overnight to allow you to come for a trip to visit, and not leave disappointed. 

Thank you for your suggestion of Shepparton to open a store. I do like Shepparton. In many ways it reminds me of my home town - Toowoomba although it's a bit smaller than Toowoomba.

I visited Shepparton for a few days last year seeing the wifes extended family who live in the area, to celebrate her grandparents 70th wedding anniversary.    I had breakfast one day at Friars Cafe, and another day at Lemon Tree Cafe.  Walked along the paths at Victoria Lake Park and visited the Shepparton Motor Museum amongst just general driving & discovery of the area.  All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and could imagine living there.

We do have Shepparton on our list for future expansion, although, it is a little bit down the list.  However, you are right - there are some nice buildings available there currently.
Happy Camping! 

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
I noticed the one at Windsor has closed but didn’t know you had just moved to Woolloongabba.

I’m in the market for a new tent so will be sure to drop in.
Keen to hear what you think!  If you're a regular at the Windsor store, the team at Woolloongabba will be very familiar to you.

Sadly our move to Woolloongabba was not totally our choice.  We had a garbage truck crash into the Windsor store, the driver suffered fatal brain aneurysm whilst heading north and drove directly into the shop at full speed.  This caused severe structural damage which is still being resolved, and will be for some time. So whilst we're waiting, we've moved to Woolloongabba. 

We will soon have signs on the old building helping let everyone know. 
Happy Camping! 

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »
Cheers Gordo! 

We do have one store in Victoria currently,  in Ferntree Gully, Melbourne.  A short, easy 209km, 2hrs 30min Sunday drive from Shepparton!!   ;D   

Here is the Google Maps link to its location:  https://goo.gl/maps/yDci6MjqJNt it is a large store too. 

We are also happy to set aside stock overnight to allow you to come for a trip to visit, and not leave disappointed. 

Thank you for your suggestion of Shepparton to open a store. I do like Shepparton. In many ways it reminds me of my home town - Toowoomba although it's a bit smaller than Toowoomba.

I visited Shepparton for a few days last year seeing the wifes extended family who live in the area, to celebrate her grandparents 70th wedding anniversary.    I had breakfast one day at Friars Cafe, and another day at Lemon Tree Cafe.  Walked along the paths at Victoria Lake Park and visited the Shepparton Motor Museum amongst just general driving & discovery of the area.  All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and could imagine living there.

We do have Shepparton on our list for future expansion, although, it is a little bit down the list.  However, you are right - there are some nice buildings available there currently.
Lemon tree cafe is my downfall. Burgers are A1
Seriously though why would Rays close and leave only a very ordinary BCF to service a area as big the Goulburn Valley.?

Gordo 350
Aussie Jays Big Red

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »
Hey Jon - from the pics, the new store looks fantastic.....  I will definitely be checking it out soon...
Not easy setting up a new store.
Well done!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 02:54:53 PM »
Lemon tree cafe is my downfall. Burgers are A1
Seriously though why would Rays close and leave only a very ordinary BCF to service a area as big the Goulburn Valley.?

Ahhhh!   Thanks for the tip I will have to try the burgers next visit to Lemon Tree! 

This is what I know about Rays, from rumours and outside observations below: 

If the Shepparton Rays was doing well,  it would have been a bit of an anomaly for Rays as it's been struggling since 2010 - since Super Retail Group (who also owns BCF) bought it.

Dont feel bad though,  Rays are being shut down all over Australia and will be totally gone at the end of June.     

SRGs first move when they bought Rays was to announce Rays head office was moving to Brisbane to be with BCF, from their Victorian one in Geelong? Obviously, a lot of the head office at Rays were not thrilled with their new headoffice location - the commute was a bit long.  So they left.  Taking all their knowledge with them of what made Rays special. 

This then meant that the team who were already running BCF, were also now running Rays.  So they made Rays, a BCF dressed in red. 

When Super Retail Group bought Rays,  their stores were mostly in Victoria, with some in NSW they then continued the roll out to make it national.  But when they opened these Rays stores, they offered nothing special or different to the BCF stores they already knew. 

Since 2010 we've been watching them try different things to try get Rays to fire, but it's been a burden on the Super Retail Group for a long time.  They started winding it up last year, closing over 15 stores and a couple of months ago announced that they're now totally shutting it down by end of June.  With some stores transitioning into the new backpacking chain from New Zealand - Macpac.   
Happy Camping! 

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »
Keen to hear what you think!  If you're a regular at the Windsor store, the team at Woolloongabba will be very familiar to you.

Sadly our move to Woolloongabba was not totally our choice.  We had a garbage truck crash into the Windsor store, the driver suffered fatal brain aneurysm whilst heading north and drove directly into the shop at full speed.  This caused severe structural damage which is still being resolved, and will be for some time. So whilst we're waiting, we've moved to Woolloongabba. 

We will soon have signs on the old building helping let everyone know.
I like the look and price of the Turbo Wolf X lite so will come check them out

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »
You are probably not able not able to comment and that's fine, but has SRG made any approaches to Tentworld at all? They seem to have a decent appetite for outdoor retailers and as you have done very well bucking the trend for retail and had good growth, I imagine you would be an attractive prospect.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:50:49 PM by tryagain »

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 07:17:32 PM »
I would hope that Tentworld would tell SRG to go **** themselves.  There has to be more than the accumulation of money.  Surely. 

Gordo 350
Aussie Jays Big Red

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
Right.......Its time to upgrade the Kawana store because you cant swing a cat in that joint.

Offline CorzaDry

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »
I do enjoy a trip to my local Tentworld at Browns Plains. Good to see things are going well for the brand.

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »
You are probably not able not able to comment and that's fine, but has SRG made any approaches to Tentworld at all? They seem to have a decent appetite for outdoor retailers and as you have done very well bucking the trend for retail and had good growth, I imagine you would be an attractive prospect.

Thank you we have definitely been working hard to buck the trend! 

We've not had any direct obvious approaches. Though on occasion we have had strange enquiries at times that we suspect may have been them. No serious direct nibbles though. Overall,  I think they prefer to pretend we do not exist. 

Tentworld is currently in the process of slowly transitioning from 2nd generation to 3rd generation.  Dad is in his 60s and I'm in my 30s.

This is our 'family farm' and we're not looking to sell, but to establish ourselves a solid offensive position to ensure we can be part of the Australian landscape for a long time to come. This is why we've really solidified our store network over the past 18 months and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. 

I would hope that Tentworld would tell SRG to go **** themselves.  There has to be more than the accumulation of money.  Surely. 

I'd imagine that would be the response. Should they ever approach. However, you have to know when to hold them & when to fold them. Right now we feel like we've got a few cards up our sleeves.  ;D

Right.......Its time to upgrade the Kawana store because you cant swing a cat in that joint.

;D I'd love to.  We've been looking on the Sunshine Coast for a larger building even before we moved into the one we are in.  We just couldnt find any.  (I just had another look just now). 

The problem is Sunshine Coast is going through such big population growth older bulky goods commercial buildings are being destroyed to make way for town houses, units etc as bulky goods gets pushed further off the coast. 

The newer ones being built further off the coast are all very new, and owned by major developers who want major returns.  That does not fit in our formula. We try to be on main roads, in easily recognisable locations, but in buildings that are more affordable - generally older. We dont think paying large amounts in rent gives us any competitive advantage, we instead prefer to use cheaper rent to allow us to deliver better prices, bigger ranges, and better customer service.  We think that this is what our customers value more. 

For now, unfortunately I think you'll have to make do with our Warana store.  Sorry!! 
Happy Camping! 

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 10:47:36 PM »
Great news on the gabba store!!   Will be heaps closer for me (Tarragindi) than Browns Plains. 

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 10:57:02 PM »
Great news on the gabba store!!   Will be heaps closer for me (Tarragindi) than Browns Plains.

Cheers!  Yes much closer an easy 5km - 10min trip!
Happy Camping! 

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »

Same thing applies to the Burleigh Heads store on the GC ;D

;D I'd love to.  We've been looking on the Sunshine Coast for a larger building even before we moved into the one we are in.  We just couldnt find any.  (I just had another look just now). 

There's an empty Rays in the main street.

& (as I'm sure you realise!) there's an empty Ray's straight across the street! ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 10:22:22 AM »
Same thing applies to the Burleigh Heads store on the GC ;D

& (as I'm sure you realise!) there's an empty Ray's straight across the street! ;D

;D ;D  ahha... yeah, we did know! It was offered to us before we moved into the Burleigh heads store but the landlord at the time did want very very high rent (it was still occupied by Rays at the time). The asking price for that store may have reduced now after being vacant for over a year? 

Sadly though we are committed to the site we're in now for a few more years. We do get along very well with the landlord, and would be hesitant to move unless we can find favourable lease terms. But we'll see what's available when our lease is up for renewal and see what we can do.   I do love that "Wave" building - was it Billabong that occupied it originally?

IN the meantime, I hope you can enjoy the charm of a very full, not very clinical, packed to the roof camping store with friendly service!!   ;D :cheers:
Happy Camping! 

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 10:51:43 AM »
IN the meantime, I hope you can enjoy the charm of a very full, not very clinical, packed to the roof camping store with friendly service!!   ;D :cheers:
I think that the majority of people who shop at a camping store actually prefer the older packed to the rafters type of camping store, there is just something about the older style store that appeals, it's somewhat nostalgic and has the possibility of discovering something there that you didn't know existed. There is somewhat of a disconnect to me with shiny showrooms and camping gear that is designed to get dirty.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 11:28:15 AM »

I think that the majority of people who shop at a camping store actually prefer the older packed to the rafters type of camping store, there is just something about the older style store that appeals, it's somewhat nostalgic and has the possibility of discovering something there that you didn't know existed. There is somewhat of a disconnect to me with shiny showrooms and camping gear that is designed to get dirty.
:cup:
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 03:37:25 PM »
But we'll see what's available when our lease is up for renewal and see what we can do.   I do love that "Wave" building - was it Billabong that occupied it originally?

Must admit, despite other plans, to only having been in your shop the once :-[, but I got what I wanted, so we'll defnitely be back ;D

Yep, Ray's was the old Billabong factory - it was pretty earth-shattering for it's day!.

& if you're looking, there's always the old Bunning's across the other side of the road, if you'd like a [/little/] bit more room to expand!  :D

Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »
Thank you we have definitely been working hard to buck the trend! 

We've not had any direct obvious approaches. Though on occasion we have had strange enquiries at times that we suspect may have been them. No serious direct nibbles though. Overall,  I think they prefer to pretend we do not exist. 

Tentworld is currently in the process of slowly transitioning from 2nd generation to 3rd generation.  Dad is in his 60s and I'm in my 30s.

This is our 'family farm' and we're not looking to sell, but to establish ourselves a solid offensive position to ensure we can be part of the Australian landscape for a long time to come. This is why we've really solidified our store network over the past 18 months and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. 

I'd imagine that would be the response. Should they ever approach. However, you have to know when to hold them & when to fold them. Right now we feel like we've got a few cards up our sleeves.  ;D

The problem is Sunshine Coast is going through such big population growth older bulky goods commercial buildings are being destroyed to make way for town houses, units etc as bulky goods gets pushed further off the coast. 

The newer ones being built further off the coast are all very new, and owned by major developers who want major returns.  That does not fit in our formula. We try to be on main roads, in easily recognisable locations, but in buildings that are more affordable - generally older. We dont think paying large amounts in rent gives us any competitive advantage, we instead prefer to use cheaper rent to allow us to deliver better prices, bigger ranges, and better customer service.  We think that this is what our customers value more. 

For now, unfortunately I think you'll have to make do with our Warana store.  Sorry!!

I will go on the hunt then....

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Tentworld Woolloongabba - QLD Now Open!
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 10:37:40 PM »
I will go on the hunt then....
I hope my favorite camping store doesn’t go too much further north then... ;)

Must agree with the earlier comments, there’s just something about an ‘old school’ camping store that’s packed to the rafters with goodies to find everywhere.
Big shiny stores have their place in the market, but from the first time I walked into the Kawana store I knew I’d found my store for when I’m on the hunt for that specific bit of kit that I need.
Haven’t been disappointed yet.

Keep up the good work guys.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Tentworld Woolloongabba - QLD Now Open!
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 08:42:04 PM »
Dropped in today and picked up a black wolf tent.  The store looks really good, the staff were really helpful and also knowledgeable.  I will definitely be back.