Author Topic: 'Pillow Top' on CT  (Read 2042 times)

Offline McReidy

• Sleeping Bag User
'Pillow Top' on CT
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:12:07 PM »
Hi folks, hope everyone had a great Easter break. Got away to Robe is SE of SA with the family & had a ball despite the less than ideal weather!

I wondered what people use to stop the 'pillow top' bulge on their CT when driving?  I have tried rope & this time used ratchet straps with my gazebo running down the centre as a 'spine' but still had multiple pillows bulging. Looking for any suggestion to curb this if possible.

Thanks.
Got the bug, try & stop me!!

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 'Pillow Top' on CT
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »
Hi we had a good Easter too but didnt get away had hols couple weeks back to miss the crowds. I am guessing you mean from the zip on cover of a canvas camper. We havent done anything to stop ours but it does seem that the more we have packed under there and spread about evenly as possible and it seems to be less than when we first got it and there was nothing under there.  We have our bedding and pillows if it is made up, 2 flat chairs, waffle mats that we put under tent floor our 2 side walls to the awning/annex, our storm cover. On top of the bed are drifta bed table and bed head.  Sorry that is not much help but might depend how much is under it.  Hope you solve the problem

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »
Most likely the cover is being sucked up to form the pillow. The cause is the air rushing over the top of the tug then accross the camper causes a low pressure on top of the coverwitch allows the cover to be sucked up.
Well that is my theory anyway. It means I can see the camper behind me.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline McReidy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
The pillow that goes on top is not a zippered variety - just loops around the base and attached at one end. When travelling it tends to get air under it as it is not closed in and prevents me from being able to see over the top (not a big deal as I have mirrors to see) but thought if there is a way to stop it may help. Might try throwing the bikes on top as I have seen others do and see if that helped.

Cheers

Offline Murray

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »
Hi McReidy, It bothered me a lot when I first got our camper. I used straps to hold it down, but the straps were doing more damage than letting it puff up and down in the wind. We do the same as Nay-Dmax: we pack stuff on top of the bed to fill the space. This seems to work the best.

I also agree with Crispy about the air coming off the tow vehicle. I have a 1999 Pajero and the CT cover flaps about a fair amount. My brother has a 2000 Challenger and even pulling my trailer the bag flaps about significantly less. On the same dirt roads my trailer attracts much more dust behind the Pajero than his does behind the Challenger. You could go mad trying to solve the problem and ruin a good drive watching what the CT cover is doing. Mine has been flapping about for 5 years and I think I have a few more years left before I need to buy a new cover. Pack the top of the bed with chairs and the kids mattresses is the best solution. 

Cheers
Murray

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:28 PM »

You could always buy a hard floor ... no pillow top on mine at all  ;D  .. yeah I know ... not very helpful I agree.

What about a flat sheet of something over the top?

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline McReidy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:21:25 AM »
Cheers for the replies. So it sounds like the best plan is to stuff as much as I can under the pillow top so there is less room for air. Wont have any problems with that - seems since we upgraded to a CT from a tent we are taking more crap than ever anyway!!