Author Topic: The CUB CLUB  (Read 260484 times)

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: The CUB CLUB
« Reply #600 on: May 04, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »
Hi there
We have a 2nd hand 2012 Brumby. We love it all except for the crappy spinflo stove. It is terrible and takes ages even to boil water. Forget about cooking meat properly as it just stews it. Anybody have this issue ?  Got any suggestions for improving it? I checked the jets and they are clean. We had a primus stove with the previous camper and it belted out the heat.
?
On my old supamatic, a plumber mate modified the regulator, never had a problem cooking after that.
Haven't done it on our DaintreeLe though, yet!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #601 on: June 24, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
On my old supamatic, a plumber mate modified the regulator, never had a problem cooking after that.
Haven't done it on our DaintreeLe though, yet!

What's the mod? Mill it? Our cooker is stuffed, low gas flow, pfizo ignition doesnt work, knobs are gone. Thinking of replacing the whole thing but the regulator will still b a problem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2010 Mitsubi Triton GLX-R

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #602 on: June 24, 2017, 06:14:07 PM »
There is a little adjustment screw under a cap on the reg. It was 5 years ago so i couldn't point you to it now sorry

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #603 on: June 24, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »

There is a little adjustment screw under a cap on the reg. It was 5 years ago so i couldn't point you to it now sorry

I'll have a look. Thank you!

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline Bjh1000

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #604 on: June 24, 2017, 10:57:33 PM »
our 2010 cub brumby is the same simjo...also had a primus before and it was a furnace.
a mate has a cavalier with a similar stove and identical regulator arrangement. The regulator is exposed to the dust/dirt as it is in the cub. A gas fitter took a look...said it was full of a lot of dirt...replaced it and it is now much better.
It will never be as good as your old primus though.

Update...had a gas fitter check the system on the brumby.
The regulator pressure was ok, no problem.
The gas jets were removed. I think they were 0.6 or 0.65mm, and were replaced with 0.8mm.
Surprising difference, more volume, and not affected by the wind as much.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #605 on: June 26, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »
How much did the Upgrade cost you   .     ??? ???                       :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #606 on: June 28, 2017, 09:47:47 AM »
I have been giving a lot of thought as to whether I should put a comment on this thread, or not, as I don't want to start any ill feelings but my conscience has got the better of me in relation to peoples wellbeing. Anyway here goes.

My wife put on a bit of a bash at our place last Sunday for a workmate who, with her hubby, is pulling up stumps & with Prado & Cub, travelling where ever in Oz. They're from Sth Africa, have been in Brissie for 10 years plus and want to see more.
Anyway. I was having a beer with  the hubby, an electrical engineer by the by, who told me he was horrified with the electrical wiring on his Cub, to the point that he was thinking "Gross Negligence" & a reporting matter but, after he did a full rewire, he let it go.
The major problem was that the 240v wiring was not crimped into the earth terminal and could easily be pulled out by hand. On finding that, he also found several other electrical connection issues.

Now, I'm not trying to start a debate here but feel it is my duty to make Swaggers aware of the potentially lethal aspects of this blokes camper. We were both hoping it may have been a "One Off" situation but I feel I should bring it up in this thread.
Please have a good look at your wiring fellas.
By the way,they will be at the upcoming Big Red do.
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #607 on: June 28, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
As a sparky, i have had a look at mine, some things are ok, some aren't that flash.  Electricians don't wire them, just labourers, and as they are just plug in, they can get away with it.
When my folks were building vans, we wired them and provided an certificateof electrical safety for each van.

As for electrical engineers, i have wired 3 different  houses for them, they are absolute pains in the ass to work for, but obviously don't have the competence to wire their own house! I take their look on electrical work with a grain of salt!

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #608 on: June 28, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »

As for electrical engineers, i have wired 3 different  houses for them, they are absolute pains in the ass to work for, but obviously don't have the competence to wire their own house! I take their look on electrical work with a grain of salt!

Ha ha ha. I know what you're getting at as, in my line of work, I had to work with civil engineers who, generally were pretty cruisy, but more so, architects  :'(
Steve
Steve
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #609 on: June 28, 2017, 11:56:47 AM »
Ha ha ha. I know what you're getting at as, in my line of work, I had to work with civil engineers who, generally were pretty cruisy, but more so, architects  :'(
Steve
Steve
Ahhh don't get me started on architects😉

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #610 on: June 28, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »
Can anyone tell me the ride height of their Cub Brumby? Centre of wheel hub to lower outer part of the mud flap? Want to see how much my springs have gone down after a few hectic trips .... assuming they're all similar of course. Never assume I guess.......

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #611 on: June 28, 2017, 04:47:10 PM »
Mine has bigger tyres so i am no help sorry

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #612 on: June 28, 2017, 05:06:22 PM »
Didn't think of that Vern.  I'm running BFG all terrain. LT 265/70 R16

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline vern

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #613 on: June 28, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »
Yeah mine are 285/75 muddies

Offline Riguez

• Tent User
« Reply #614 on: June 28, 2017, 07:22:22 PM »
That's still workable Vern. Difference shouldn't b that much. Easy to work out

2009 Cub Brumby

Offline Wukkers

• Tent User
« Reply #615 on: July 24, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »
Has anyone replaced their winch lately?  Mine works ok but is guaranteed to wake the dead at dawn.  I have a drover spacematic.  Blackwoods want $390 for like replacement.  On an old thread a guy said he got a new Pacific BHW 1200 for $165.  Any ideas?

Offline roughing it

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #616 on: July 24, 2017, 05:40:10 PM »
I recently replaced mine. I went to the local boat shop which was much cheaper

Offline VKPrado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #617 on: August 03, 2017, 08:20:27 AM »
Update...had a gas fitter check the system on the brumby.
The regulator pressure was ok, no problem.
The gas jets were removed. I think they were 0.6 or 0.65mm, and were replaced with 0.8mm.
Surprising difference, more volume, and not affected by the wind as much.

Just wondering if there are any updates to this or where the jets were sourced from?

On a side note to all this does anyone know where to get a thermocoupler for the Spinflo 2 burner cooker?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:31:18 AM by VKPrado »

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #618 on: August 21, 2017, 11:57:21 PM »
We have decided to upgrade from our 2001 Kamperoo to a 2015 Daintree Le! Found one locally (Alice Springs) that has had little use and while more that we really wanted to spend is good value for money. Looking forward to easier opening and closing, flash kitchen and pantry, better bed and a bit more room. Of course it is a bit heavier than the Old unbraked cub.
Mods will include
- silent winch upgrade.
- redo wiring and add another battery
- water pump and hotwater install
and a little later reorganise drawer bar and get fridge box to install.
No Pics yet, gonna clean up old cub and sell to help fund purchase, seller is happy to give us some time to organise our money fro purchase.

Offline Roksy18

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #619 on: September 23, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »
Hi All,

We've got a 2016 cub brumby and are impressed with this very capable piece of gear.

The only thing though is I'm struggling to find a suitable way to carry bikes.

I have looked at the Isi bike racks which would be the ultimate but, they are very expensive and there will be extra costs in installing the mount onto a pole on the drawbar - provided I can do this without obscuring the winch strap.

Also, has anyone fitted a recovery point to the rear of the trailer. If so, what type and where on the chasis?

Thanks

Offline BrisVegasGolfer

• Tent User
« Reply #620 on: November 21, 2017, 07:35:51 PM »
Hi all.  Considering getting a 2010 Cub Spacematic Drover (as a swap for my boat).  I don't know much about Cubs, so sorry for any dumb quesitons.  I've had a softfloor Mountain Trail camper which was great, but very time consuming to setup/packup and we got sick of being on the ground, so we got rid of it.  Wife wants a caravan.  I'd be happy with a decent hardfloor camper, as long as it's quick and easy to setup for overnight stops.

What are the things to look out for on this model?  Do they have plumbed gas and water to the kitchen or do you have to bring the bottle around and hook up water pipes etc?  That drove us nuts with our softfloor.  Do they have a deep cycle battery in them as standard?  Is there any interior lighting and 12v outlets etc?  Here's the Cub.  I haven't seen it in the flesh as yet.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1161649102

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

This is my boat for anyone interested.  http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=53505.0
2015 Isuzu MU-X

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #621 on: November 21, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »
Hi all.  Considering getting a 2010 Cub Spacematic Drover

What are the things to look out for on this model?  Do they have plumbed gas and water to the kitchen or do you have to bring the bottle around and hook up water pipes etc? 

looks like a nice camper. we have just replaced our 2001 for a 2014, smaller than this model though. I can't answer all your questions, it looks like water is plumbed in and it has a battery to run it, gas is normally connected to a bayonet when you open the kitchen, and the generally have 2 bottles on the drawer bar through a regulator. If it doesn't have lights they can be had for under $100, or make some up your self. plenty of opportunity to upgrade the on board power if u need more.
they are solid and capable, and great quick set up for overnight stops.

I think that might be asking slightly above the market value, however they do hold their value. If you use facebook there is a cub camper page that is ok, much more adventurous mob here tho!
The following users thanked this post: BrisVegasGolfer

Offline BrisVegasGolfer

• Tent User
« Reply #622 on: November 21, 2017, 08:51:32 PM »
looks like a nice camper. we have just replaced our 2001 for a 2014, smaller than this model though. I can't answer all your questions, it looks like water is plumbed in and it has a battery to run it, gas is normally connected to a bayonet when you open the kitchen, and the generally have 2 bottles on the drawer bar through a regulator. If it doesn't have lights they can be had for under $100, or make some up your self. plenty of opportunity to upgrade the on board power if u need more.
they are solid and capable, and great quick set up for overnight stops.

I think that might be asking slightly above the market value, however they do hold their value. If you use facebook there is a cub camper page that is ok, much more adventurous mob here tho!

Thanks for the feedback matt.  If the setup and kitchen is easy, then the wife will be more likely to want to come camping. 

And yes, I thought his price was a bit ambitious too, but then I looked online and they go from $10k - $25k.  Boat prices are similarly all over the shop!  Ultimately, if he's up for a swap, then really the price is only a rough guide.  They're definitely cheaper than Kimberleys and similar.

2015 Isuzu MU-X

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #623 on: November 21, 2017, 09:03:45 PM »
Set up should be about 5 mins (with out awning) on flat ground if you don't unhitch. You should get a good idea when you inspect.
While they are cheaper than Kimberley, the KK are a different class, a step up in features and comfort (and weight!) But I am definitely a CUB kinda guy.
The following users thanked this post: BrisVegasGolfer, callmejoe

Offline BrisVegasGolfer

• Tent User
« Reply #624 on: November 21, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »
Set up should be about 5 mins (with out awning) on flat ground if you don't unhitch. You should get a good idea when you inspect.
While they are cheaper than Kimberley, the KK are a different class, a step up in features and comfort (and weight!) But I am definitely a CUB kinda guy.

haha yeah well I'm an Isuzu kind of guy until I win lotto and can afford a Landcruiser.  5 minute setup sounds good.  The windup looks easier than climbing over our softfloor to wrestle the tonneau back on!
2015 Isuzu MU-X