Author Topic: Interesting read on electric cars  (Read 139692 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »
I think most people make a much bigger deal out of charging than it really is, with a 500ish km range, you will just charge at home 95% of the time, when you are doing a greater than that trip is when you will use a super charger.
I have seen some videos on YouTube of people trecking across the US in there Tesla, the Car guides them to the Supercharger in the town, they hook it up and tell them how long it will take them to get enough charge to get to the next stop, they go off to get a feed and the Car messages them in half an hr  (or less for a part charge) or so to let them know it's good to go.

Sure we don't have the charging infrastructure in place here yet that they do, but Tesla probably already has more chargers than you realise and that number will only grow.

Works okay if your EV takes the rapid charge, not all do, the others still take the slow charge.  Noticed in the link I put above a lot of EV charges are going in accommodation spots, motels etc to take the overnight charge. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2019, 11:39:08 AM »
My take on the whole thing is that nothing concrete will happen until the big oil companies work out a way (if they haven't got a blueprint already) to gain the majority of supply to EVs, as they have with liquid and gas fuel.

That horse has well and truly bolted.....

Shell aims to make electricity a significant part of its business. Shell’s New Energies business is seeking to leverage the company’s strengths in fast-growing and commercial parts of the energy industry and could spend on average between $1-2 billion a year until 2020 on commercial opportunities.
https://www.shell.com.au/media/2019-media-releases/smart-energy-storage-systems.html

BP has announced a $20 million investment in ultra-fast-charging battery start-up company StoreDot, which is developing technology that could eventually see electric vehicle (EV) charging times fall to five minutes.
https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/news-and-insights/bp-magazine/bp-invests-in-ultra-fast-charging-battery-company-storedot.html

The following users thanked this post: Steffo1

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2019, 11:43:15 AM »
This was in Paris in 2015. I have no idea about how or who pays what. Credit card, perhaps? It is just in a side street.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »
Works okay if your EV takes the rapid charge, not all do, the others still take the slow charge.  Noticed in the link I put above a lot of EV charges are going in accommodation spots, motels etc to take the overnight charge. 

True, but most being sold now do, I think it will be fairly standard going forward. It's mainly the early iterations that don't AFAIK

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2019, 11:46:46 AM »
Quote from: Steffo1
This was in Paris in 2015. I have no idea about how or who pays what. Credit card, perhaps? It is just in a side street.
but who wants to drive some hideous Shitheap like that? Roomy for you and your jumper. So thats your city car, then you need your family car, then you need your towing car, and your sports car... sounding good at rego time.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2019, 12:06:23 PM »
Something a bit like this one?
A '97/98 model with the coils as they rode so much better, but if I won lotto, you'd probably find a new Jimny motor on gumtree soon after.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »
A '97/98 model with the coils as they rode so much better, but if I won lotto, you'd probably find a new Jimny motor on gumtree soon after.
But a 1999 model Jimny and give me the EFI engine for my Sierra. ;)

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2019, 12:17:19 PM »
But a 1999 model Jimny and give me the EFI engine for my Sierra. ;)

If I win lotto, you can have the 2018 efi for your sierra.

Pretty sure with this developing technology that some bits have been future proofed to some extent, in that when you plug in the charging lead, the ECU and charger will do a bit of electronic secret handshake trickery and the battery cells will be provided with the optimum power they need to charge and be within the bounds of what the charger can supply and what the battery management system will accept.

Wilbur and Orville didn't duck over to London in January 1904, these things take time to develop and infrastructure to adapt.

I really can't understand the negativity/visceral hate for EV's, if you don't want one or you don't think it will suit your lifestyle, don't get one.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:20:30 PM by Hoyks »

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2019, 01:25:50 PM »
but who wants to drive some hideous Shitheap like that? Roomy for you and your jumper. So thats your city car, then you need your family car, then you need your towing car, and your sports car... sounding good at rego time.

Can always have this

https://www.voltra.net.au/ecruiser/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5foN9lsOGQ
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »
May not have top worry about it for long, the Russians are saying a hit in 2036 and the Yanks are talking a very close flyby in 2029,
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/scientists-planning-now-for-asteroid-flyby-a-decade-away
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 03:15:38 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2019, 03:10:58 PM »
May not have top worry about it for long, the Russians are saying a hit in 2036 and the Yanks are talking a very close flyby in 2039,
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/asteroids/news/asteroid20130110.html
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( its missing us :'(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2019, 03:20:17 PM »

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2019, 07:49:55 PM »
Every time.
And absolutly guanteed to happen if you're wearing a crisp white business shirt on your way to a very important meeting.
Nothing like shaking hands with decision makers to discuss new clean technologies when you smell like an oil rig....  >:(

Edit;
Not actually slipping over, but getting diesel all over your hands and splashed on your shirt sleeves..

Never happened in the last 10yrs for me.....oh wait.....a bit of diesel spilled onto the ground once...same as the petrol did once.....but nothing on me ....but then again, I can eat spagetti bol without spilling it on the front of my shirt ( sober of course )..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »
I really can't understand the negativity/visceral hate for EV's, if you don't want one or you don't think it will suit your lifestyle, don't get one.
Cause I cant cross the Anne Beadell Highway with a leccy vehicle, for one reason.

City bound, leccy vehicles may work, rural/remote forget it.

Rest assured, there wont be one in my garage anytime soon, so you can breathe easy.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 08:46:04 PM by sharkcaver »
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2019, 09:08:01 PM »
Cause I cant cross the Anne Beadell Highway with a leccy vehicle, for one reason.

City bound, leccy vehicles may work, rural/remote forget it.

Rest assured, there wont be one in my garage anytime soon, so you can breathe easy.

Surprising where some charging stations are

https://www.drivezero.com.au/electric-car-charging-stations/#all
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2019, 09:47:04 PM »
Never happened in the last 10yrs for me.....oh wait.....a bit of diesel spilled onto the ground once...same as the petrol did once.....but nothing on me ....but then again, I can eat spagetti bol without spilling it on the front of my shirt ( sober of course )..
Let me guess, your high flow pumps actually have high flow as well... ???

Our local diesel pumps have had about 3 or 4 sets of nozzles fitted over the last 18 months.
I jokingly asked the Veeder-root guy if he was fixing the leak or making it pump properly when he was there a couple of months ago. He laughed and said ‘one or the other I guess’. Turns out he couldn’t do either.....

I’d happily take a photo of the mountain of kitty litter on the floor and the empty paper dispenser on the post beside the diesel pump, but I don’t want the cranky old lady behind the counter yelling at my for using my phone at the bowsers... ;)

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2019, 09:56:51 PM »
Let me guess, your high flow pumps actually have high flow as well... ???

Our local diesel pumps have had about 3 or 4 sets of nozzles fitted over the last 18 months.
I jokingly asked the Veeder-root guy if he was fixing the leak or making it pump properly when he was there a couple of months ago. He laughed and said ‘one or the other I guess’. Turns out he couldn’t do either.....

I’d happily take a photo of the mountain of kitty litter on the floor and the empty paper dispenser on the post beside the diesel pump, but I don’t want the cranky old lady behind the counter yelling at my for using my phone at the bowsers... ;)

Locally I fill up at maybe 3 different locations...when out camping up to 2hrs away from home....never had a problem filling up...either on normal or high flow.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2019, 10:13:00 PM »
Locally I fill up at maybe 3 different locations...when out camping up to 2hrs away from home....never had a problem filling up...either on normal or high flow.
$1.48 at the pump 1km from home.
Next closest pump to me is $1.53 and that’s 13km away.

However, if we had electric cars none of this would matter anyway..... ;)
Earlier this year, the Queensland government completed its electric car "super highway" which allows electric car owners to drive all the way from Cairns to Coolangatta.

Electric charging at the stations will be free for the first 12 months before fees are introduced, bringing the cost to charge an average car to about $45.

https://sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/electric-vehicle-charging-network-now-spans-almost/3433971/

The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2019, 10:25:55 PM »
I am one off those bragging rights people because I have order and paid for my Model 3
I will keep my Landcruiser 76 because the Government will not be able to pay for all the Non-Federal highways maintenance since everyone will be driving electrical cars and no one will be paying the fuel levy for the road maintenance. Back roads will be dirt roads so you will need a 4wd to travel outside the cities or on the secondary road between cities.

OK, not really true but who will pay for the road maintenance is if no-one is buying fuel?

It amaze me when I visits the family is South Africa every 4 years how the potholes are getting bigger and the secondary roads turn to ‘tracks’. The highways are fine.

If you can afford it and that's how you would like to spend your $$$ then half your luck, have they got Australian pricing for them yet as I haven't seen a local price for them. Which is the elephant in the room that none of the knockers has bought up yet, the Model S is about $125-200K depending on options, as I mentioned, I haven't seen exactly what the Model 3 will go for here but should be within reach of a lot more, it still wont be "cheap" though.

In regards to road maintenance, they will just swap to a Km travelled tax instead, but they will wait until after there has been mass takeup of them to do that. As someone else said, they will probably make the cars self report.
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2019, 08:49:06 AM »
seems the price of electric cars is falling with the Hyundai IONIQ  at around $50K.  Still not cheap but better.
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2019, 11:24:06 AM »
but then again, I can eat spagetti bol without spilling it on the front of my shirt ( sober of course )..

Now you're just boasting, Gronk! ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »
tesla model 3 should be around $50k to $70k
Elon said USA price plus exchange rate, AU import tax and possibly luxury car tax

So, I have budget for $70k
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer
The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »
$1.48 at the pump 1km from home.
Next closest pump to me is $1.53 and that’s 13km away.

However, if we had electric cars none of this would matter anyway..... ;)
https://sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/electric-vehicle-charging-network-now-spans-almost/3433971/
They will probably charge you depending on their electricity rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2019, 06:39:14 PM »
seems the price of electric cars is falling with the Hyundai IONIQ  at around $50K.  Still not cheap but better.

Still twice the price of the similar petrol model !! That's a lot of money for an electric motor and a battery bank !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »
Now you're just boasting, Gronk! ;D

OK, 90% of the time !!  ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra