Author Topic: Merrit or cigarette plugs  (Read 13651 times)

Offline Shager

• Swag User
  • Hi
Merrit or cigarette plugs
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »
Not sure which way to go or what the real diffrance would be. What do you find to be the better
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:20:50 PM by Shager »
life is a gift best lived boldly

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
Re: Mert or cigarette plugs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:37:17 AM »
I find the Merrit plugs are more secure for the few things I use them on, lights mostly.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:33:53 AM »
Ditto on the Merrit/Din plugs, we use them on all of our lights and the 40l Engels, have never had one come loose or get hot from movement.
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline DAZnBEC

• THE MIGHTY MODCON!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »
Definately merrit plugs!
They are a bit dearer but worth it.

Dazza

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »
If you are buying Merrit/Din fittings they come in ally and brass, we use the solid brass ones, I was told that the ally come from China but the brass ones are out of Turkey ( one of my old clients was the importer, and claimed the brass ones were better & cheaper to import than the China made produce, so I bought 20 male, 20 female and 20 Anderson plugs )

2012 Crusader X Country

Offline stevo

• I used to have a handle on life........but it broke
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Merrit or cigarette plugs
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 06:24:55 PM »
Definitely a merit or Hella is better as the cig lighter ones work loose as the tip is pushing against an internal spring that is naturally trying to push it back out. The example of the female plug JK has above has an earth connection and that is the type to use. I have a home made adaptor in the console with a female merit and a cig lighter push in fitting joined together in case someone needs to borrow lights/pumps etc.
Isuzu MU-X Coronet caravan
The hearse does not stop at the bank on the way to the cemetery.

Offline Pipeliner

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I'm too old to rough it!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »
You can buy plugs that will fit both Merit/Hella and cig lighter sockets - I fit these on all my gear.
Camping is great as long as the mattress is inner spring!

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
I had 2 of them, 12v 8amp rated, brand unknown, for the two Waecos in the back of the dual cab. After a month of touring one Waeco failed as its plug had almost melted and the other was on the same path. Reason was the "spring" positive terminal contacts had lost their spring tension causing high restance and heat. They are certainly a neat looking plug but....
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
Power lead on our Waeco was modified to an Engel Plug the screws into A-Span Socket or Standard socket if required.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 01:08:15 AM »
Good point. What are they used for. As noted others have replace fridge outlets with others. In my case I cut the plug off and hard wired it to the loom for travel then use another with a merrit for the camper one.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline DaveL

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Yeah, I need to finish that one day.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 08:45:16 AM »
The merit/hella plugs all the way.  Not only are they rated at a higher amperage (Rebs, I don't know what caused your issues, but these are better than the standard fridge plugs) but the fact that they lock in, and the sockets have dust caps standard make them far more reliable.

Cig lighter plugs are ok for temporary use of a single item, but to try to have anything plugged unattended for any period of time and you can be sure the cig lighter plug will loose contact.  Though the high quality cig lighter plugs are not too bad, just about everything these days has the cheap and nasty cig. plugs.

As a default position anything that comes with a cig plug I replace with a merit style connector, and as everything I have is now merit type there is no compatibility issues.  I also have a couple of merit->cig adapters for times out camping where I come across anything that isn't merit, but most people I travel will are also exclusively merit these days also.

There are also better options out there than the merit plugs for better moisture protection and power handling capabilities, but as a standard basis they are perfect for our needs.

- David.
TD42T GU Patrol, Bulloak Camper

Offline DX grunt

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 12:11:01 PM »
Can somebody please help.  Is this a Merit socket?  What and what size 'thing' do I need to plug into it to get my 95lt fridge/freezer operational.

Signed desperate before hols on Monday.  lol

Thanks.

Ross
Nissan Patrol ute - ex Telstra - pod has heaps of 'glamping equipment', but not enough to be overloaded.

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 12:20:05 PM »
If you refer to my earlier post above on this topic and look at the picture posted by DX grunt you will see the "spring" contacts are already spread open. On a new one the contacts are together. I know these plugs dont vibrate out but my experience was they melt fridge plugs, two different waeco plugs in 2 different outlets.
Sorry if appearing a wet blanket on this but I think they are over rated.

Offline DX grunt

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »
If you refer to my earlier post above on this topic and look at the picture posted by DX grunt you will see the "spring" contacts are already spread open. On a new one the contacts are together. I know these plugs dont vibrate out but my experience was they melt fridge plugs, two different waeco plugs in 2 different outlets.
Sorry if appearing a wet blanket on this but I think they are over rated.

Thanks for the info.  I might need to revert to plan B - whatever that is.  Anybody else like to comment?
Nissan Patrol ute - ex Telstra - pod has heaps of 'glamping equipment', but not enough to be overloaded.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 12:36:01 PM »
I use cig plugs for chargers ( camera , phone etc )
Fridge power cord has been cut and reconnected with 2 X 50A Andersons - So I can still use the Waeco Merrit / cig plug ..BUT ..
I always use the Anderson for the fridge connection and air pump ... everything else is cig or merrit .

Cheers

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
The male fitting you need is like this...................have used the brass version of these for years and never had trouble of any kind. Hope it helps  :cheers:

2012 Crusader X Country

Offline DX grunt

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 12:54:01 PM »
The male fitting you need is like this...................have used the brass version of these for years and never had trouble of any kind. Hope it helps  :cheers:

Thanks jk.

You are my favourite friend and a legend.  lol.

Thanks heaps, bro.

Take care out there.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »
I tend to swap cigarette plugs over to merrits on most accessories and I have a few different brands.  One thing I noticed recently is the negative (outer) connections aren't always compatible. Most sockets (female bit) are a complete 360deg ring but one of mine is just a single prong.   This is OK if the plug (male bit) has a 360 deg contact like the one in jk's pic, but some of my plugs only have two contacts on opposite sides (ie 0 deg & 180deg).   This means its easy for the contacts on the male and female bits to not touch each other.  (is this what they mean by "safe sex"?)   This means that not all merrit plugs and sockets are compatible, even though they are the same size and shape.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I might need to revert to plan B - whatever that is.  Anybody else like to comment?

Yes they are merrit sockets.
If the plugs insert with a firm click with little play then you should have good contact.   If not you might try closing the gap a little with needle nose pliers (after disconnecting the power!!)   I don't think they need to touch each other as Rebs suggests.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline DX grunt

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »
If the plugs insert with a firm click with little play then you should have good contact.   If not you might try closing the gap a little with needle nose pliers (after disconnecting the power!!)   I don't think they need to touch each other as Rebs suggests.

Thanks Patr80l.

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »
DX grunt, attached is a pic that shows the plugs I have fitted for my Waecos. They are Clipsal or HPM 2 pin low voltage sockets (plugs to match not shown). They are big and ugly, but beautiful cos they work and dont come loose. May need to clean pins with an eraser once a blue moon.

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 02:42:50 PM »

PATR80L, They may not need to touch but thats how they start out from new. With use, the brand I had, the clips or clip-in part (+12v terminal) opened up as in DX grunt's pic. They have only a small contact area and when they get to that stage the male part is not held tight, becomes a high resistance joint and overheats.

Offline DX grunt

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 02:48:17 PM »
PATR80L, They may not need to touch but thats how they start out from new. With use, the brand I had, the clips or clip-in part (+12v terminal) opened up as in DX grunt's pic. They have only a small contact area and when they get to that stage the male part is not held tight, becomes a high resistance joint and overheats.

Thanks RebsWA.

My idea is that once it's plugged in, it never comes out, but will check it out and keep an eye on it.
If need be, I'll change it - then the plug will never have to be removed from the 'socket'.

Thanks.

Ross

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 09:39:28 PM »
For those of you with Waeco fridges, the supplied 12volt cig connection can be converted to Merrit/Hella by simply sliding the red plastic end off the male connection. :D

Offline Sixtys Guy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 10:09:09 AM »
I'm not a fan of Merit plugs either. The one on my Waeco also melted. In my Jayco I put merit sockets all around but with the new camper I have gone back to cig. sockets. It's a bit of a pain if you buy an accessory that has a cig pug to swap over to the merit style. I now use 50 amp Anderson connections on my fridge and leave the AA battery charger and other accessores as cigs.
2009 Dual Cab Hilux
2009 Southern Cross Canvas Bush Mate