Author Topic: The Kitchen in your Camper Trailer - Advice required please  (Read 6908 times)

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
The Kitchen in your Camper Trailer - Advice required please
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:14:08 AM »
Hi,
We are looking at putting a Kitchen in our camper and came across these on the net

http://www.xtrailcampers.com/promo_kitchen.php

http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.au/product/484/CAMPER_TRAILER_SLIDEOUT_KITCHEN

just wondering if any one else has installed these or have any better suggestions
decided that at these prices hardley worth building one...........
would go for the Tailgate version (on the Arrow Trailer)

would be particularly interested if any one in Adelaide has one I could actually look at
open to all ideas

thanks for your help in advance
cheers
Garry

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
Re: The Kitchen in your Camper Trailer - Advice required please
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »
Have a look at the Drifta kitchens (http://www.drifta.com.au/CamperTrailerKitchens.php).  The swing out is competitive with the others you are looking at.  Luke at Drifta is good to deal with and they make a quality versatile product.  The kitchens are very usable.

I am in the Adelaide Hills, we have a Drifta pull out - you are welcome to PM me if you want to have a look, or Cavalier fit them to their trailers if you want to look there.

cheers,

Richard
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »
I use the Drifta Car back. It lives in the trailer but if i go somewhere without the trailer i put the drifta in the boot.

Offline toeball

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
I use the Drifta Car back. It lives in the trailer but if i go somewhere without the trailer i put the drifta in the boot.

Good idea, I think the tail gate kitchen is over rated and the size of the full drifta is to big, you have me thinking now.......

I-zoo-zoo D-MAX and a Lifestyle Explorer + (+ more)

Manjimike

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 06:41:07 PM »
Good idea, I think the tail gate kitchen is over rated and the size of the full drifta is to big, you have me thinking now.......

As I am looking at building a tailgate kitchen, why do you think they are over rated?

Thanks
Mike

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »
I have the xtrail kitchen with sink and two burner stove, works well for me, mine slides out the side but they also mount them on the tailgate

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 06:59:50 PM »
Another vote for the Drifta. We have a tailgate mounted version and really can't fault it.
I was to be real picky then i would say stainless fittings would last longer and look better but that is the ONLY thing i can think of making it better.

Offline toeball

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »
I like the versatility of the car back, take it on picnics etc.
The inbuilt SS sink is an inefficient use of space
When you are using a tail gate kitchen you have your back to every body
If you use the inbuilt sink you need a sulage hose or bucket why not pick your dish water up and chuck it out instead of double handling it
My tail gate kitchen works fine but there is room for improvement

I'm thinking a fold out bench on the tailgate with the car back used opposite might be a good galley style set up, in addition to using the fire and BBQ of course
I-zoo-zoo D-MAX and a Lifestyle Explorer + (+ more)

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 07:32:18 PM »
I made ours based on some handt sized containers we had.
Uses airline fittings to connect the water, auto Jabsco pump is awesome but quite noisy. No fixed sink, waste of space.
It has a led light over the stove which is handy.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »
The Drifta tailgate kitchens don't have an inbuilt sink, well the one we have doesn't. They utilise a plastic 'tub' on a shelf that rolls out and as you say, you can throw the water out.
We have a separate bbq and don't use the kitchen for cooking, only storing of food and washing up. So really the only time we have our back to anyone is when washing up and there always seems to be a lack of people come wash up time :)
We like to cook in a group atmosphere.

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 10:59:42 PM »
Another vote for the Drifta Car back. We had no dramas asking for a small change - we wanted the big drawer to pull out from the front of the kitchen rather than the end, as it fits our tent set up better.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline Pebble

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 11:12:45 AM »
Our first good camper had an electric tap and a kitchen sink etc, I found I wasn't the "need a kitchen sink" type of person, we don't fancy electric taps either, they seem more problematic and waste more water tool.

The second camper had a basic tailgate kitchen, I didn't think much of it, we ended up taking it off, modifying it so there was just a fold down storage shelf on the tailgate instead. Granted the design probably wasn't the best, I didn't find that it was an efficient storage area, well not for the stuff I carry. And stuff had to be packed up if you wanted to shut the tailgate while going for a walk or whatever. And like others have mentioned you've got your back to everyone, but it's not that, you're stuck in one spot can't always allow for wind direction etc

So for me a table with the stove / dish bucket was a better solution, probably even easier now that we've gone to using a dual fuel stove.

Depends what the cooks preferences are really,

That Drifta car back sure looks nifty, I'd definitely consider one of the more compact drifta models if our next camper or current trailer/car set up. Seems like it would just replace one of the boxes that I normally store my kitchen gear in anyway!
2015 LC Dual Cab
2017 Trakmaster Gibson

Offline WaituiRob

• "Oldies still doing it.....Camping that is!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »

As there are only two of us our kitchen we`ve kept our kitchen simple.

The stove wasn`t set up in the photo as it is normally on the tent side so the regulator
is over the side, out of the way.

One drawer has cutlery and utensils, plates in the other.

We had it made in Wauchope, I think they are about $300 now.
  George will build to your,specs.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »
And another vote for drifta...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
While i do agree with you all on the drifta kitchens,, i look at them and can not see the why they are priced so high.!, they may be good quality and well designed, but the price scares the hell out of me,,

maybe i'm just a tite arse. !  :cheers:

Poverty Pack.!

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 02:03:44 PM »
$590 for the car back is OK. I think i could have made my own for about $300. Then i considered.. the time... the end result... and figured the drifta was a good deal.  The skids they use are very good and slide very well, couldn't find any like that.  The legs they use are welded by them and work perfectly. Getting my own legs was starting to prove difficult too.
PLUS, the money goes to other Aussies... not china. That makes it an easy sell.

Sure you can build one cheaper than they will sell you one but it depends on all the other factors. How much time do you have? do you have ALL the tools. Do you mind searching out the skids and legs? Is there something else you'd rather be doing? Can you sell it if you decide you don't like it?

Mike

Offline weso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • be good or be good at it !!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 64eh.com
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 06:38:46 PM »
i have to say that when we first had our CT we had no kitchen and used a table with gas 2 burner stove and talbe with drop in bucket for a sink. We now have a tailgate kitchen whick i made, this pic is when it was first mounted it now has a sureflo tap thats connected to a whale inline pump (which is surprisingly quiet). Kathy and I could not camp without it now and as for space that it takes up inside the CT we have actaully SAVED room having the kitchen. The missus said i want a tailgate kitchen BUT she went on to say, "it must have some bench space"  so we put our heads together and came up with a slide out sink idea. Not knowing if it would work or not i had a kick and a punch at it and this is what we ended up with..........
64 EH(premier sedan)gone but will never be forgotten, 64VAN(windowless panel van),
2008 Nisan Navara, leisure matters ranger hard floor