Author Topic: Packing CT up and looking after the canvas  (Read 1911 times)

Offline wartim

• Soft Floor Camper User
Packing CT up and looking after the canvas
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:56:08 PM »
Hi All,

Have recently bought our 1st CT which is a 2nd hand one and comes with a 3rd room and floor next to tow bar and full annex with canvas sides, screened sides and floor.  This makes for a lot of canvas to be stored while getting there and it's all 15oz Aust canvas.

Have been thinking if taking the whole kit away for longer stays it would be best to lay the loose canvas on the bed then fold the tent up over the lot rather than lay the loose canvas on top of the tent and tent frame.  During my research I noticed a CT with the canvas worn through along the length of one of the frames and assume that was caused by excess weight above the tent canvas causing friction and abrasion between the tent and frame?  I have also seen all sorts of things such as tables, chairs and bikes etc loaded on top of the storm cover which I imagine would also transfer excessive weight through to the tent canvas and frame?

What does everyone else do?

Cheers

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
Re: Packing CT up and looking after the canvas
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »
Hi,

Unlike some we put some items on the bed ( which has a waterproof cover on it) then the canvas folds up on top.  We store nothing on the top cover.  The reason this is, if you arrive somewhere and it's raining, you don't want to have to unload tables, chairs and what ever in the rain to set up.  With our set up we just need to take the top cover off and the tent unfolds, with us able to get straight inside and set up the two internal poles, we are out of the weather and so is the items we load on the bed, out of the rain and basic setup 5 mins.

Anyway just our thoughts
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
Re: Packing CT up and looking after the canvas
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
We place a small tarp over the bed and then the table on top.  I personally wouldn't place anything on top for same reasons as CRW.

TJ
Tammy and Jeff
2010 Triton GLX-R and 2011 Aussie Swag Ultra G