Author Topic: Awnings - leave zipped on?  (Read 13087 times)

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
Re: Awnings - leave zipped on?
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 07:00:07 PM »
Another vote for left on and flipped over when packing up before closing tent section.

TJ
Tammy and Jeff
2010 Triton GLX-R and 2011 Aussie Swag Ultra G

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
Yep. We always leave ours attached as well and always put the awning up even on overnight stays, usually only takes an extra five minutes to erect. Putting the annex walls up is a different matter though and can take quite a lot longer, especially after a couple of coldies.

Cheers

Robbo  ;D

Offline Blue Bravo

• adventure before dementia
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »
We leave it zipped on. If we don't set it up it just lays over the roof anf I tie it down to stop it blowing in the wind.
Glenn

A member of the leisure class

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 07:06:43 PM »
Yep, leav it on and fold in with the tent.  Mind you, its an Oztent 6, so just a 'pocket handkerchief' really!

For an over night I prefer to just leave it on top unless it looks like rain.  Like being outdoors.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 06:28:40 AM »
Oh good, so it's not just me then! ;D

Like others, I use one of the poles to pull the centre up and over the main tent when packing up, and the "gable" of the awning pulls down neat over the other end. Only real issue is it makes folding up the tent slightly more origami to get it all in neat, but gotta be better than going to the hassle of zipping it on/off.

Side walls get put on for longer than 1-nighters, and outside wall never so far.

Cheers,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline hutchie62

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • I'll drink to that.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 06:39:28 AM »
We also leave ours attached, it is much easier than attaching it every time.
2013 Cab Chassis Landcruiser with goodies, 2008 Cub Supamatic Drover.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »

Attatched:  Main awning ... yes all the time ... Side awning ... no but it's easier to get on and off (not as high).  Throw it over the top using poles, ensure it sits straight-ish, close the lid!  Still stacks of room on the bed to put things.  We use it for weekenders and like it.  Instant shade is great.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 06:50:19 PM »
Ours comes off. We have a Lifestyle with the Tropical Roof as well, so can't leave it on but as has been said before, it is 5 minutes max to get out and zip on.
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »
We always take ours off.  Don't always put up the annexe, definetly not for overnight stops.  We have a modcon overlander.  If we left the annexe on, we would not get our cover on, it is a push stud and velcro variety, and sometimes is a PITA, but we never get dust or moisture inside the trailer.
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

crackacoldie

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »
Tried both ways and found it quicker to zip off.  Use an upright pole through the zipper eye to push the zip all the way over, 30 seconds to zip on and off.  Being a little vertically challenged we found it awkward to leave it folded back.

:cheers: Cracka

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 07:37:28 PM »
ACTUALLY,  at present we are set up at Bagots Point, 9 mile beach, Dolphin Sands , 4 klm north of Swansea in Tassie.   We currently have the full annexe set up, walls and all, as the roof on it's own acted like a kite.  We arrive back from sightseeing yesterday to a flattened annexe.  The first day the high tide caught us out and we had 6 inches of water through the soft floor, we had to shift to higher ground, much to the amusement of the tourtists.  I would give my eye teeth to not have to dismantle the whole kit and kaboodle in the am.  We are shifting up to St Helens area, after 4 nights here.  We have beautiful views over the hazards and coles bay in frecinet national park.   
Kris and Kev

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »
Lucky you - east coast of Tassie is God's country! Spent most summer holidays at Binalong Bay as a kid, and go back often. Hope you're getting stuck into the seafood over there - think I had the best seafood bisque ever in Bicheno at a hokey little motel's restaurant... :D

p.s. Don't set up camp where there's lots of little shells and seaweed next time.... ;D 8)

Have fun, say hi to all my cousins

Tassie Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 08:41:07 PM »
We have ours awning on all the time and leave it folded back on top of the main tent for an overnighter.
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 09:37:12 PM »
To flip my awning over I use the poles from the awning as extensions with the pointy end still through the eyelets then walk around the side of the tent to fold it back.

Rich

Same here Rich..I also leave ours on. Some times the wind can be a pain so it has to be secured some how to stop it flipping over but I
d rather do that than zip it on and off. it only takes 10 mins to set up 4 poles when needed...
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 10:17:49 PM »
ACTUALLY,  at present we are set up at Bagots Point, 9 mile beach, Dolphin Sands , 4 klm north of Swansea in Tassie.   We currently have the full annexe set up, walls and all, as the roof on it's own acted like a kite.  We arrive back from sightseeing yesterday to a flattened annexe.  The first day the high tide caught us out and we had 6 inches of water through the soft floor, we had to shift to higher ground, much to the amusement of the tourtists.  I would give my eye teeth to not have to dismantle the whole kit and kaboodle in the am.  We are shifting up to St Helens area, after 4 nights here.  We have beautiful views over the hazards and coles bay in frecinet national park.   
A little of topic here but, another good camp ground is Deep Creek campground in the Mt William Nat Park. although I camped at Stumpys 3, i also had my awning flattened by the high winds there at the start of december last year.

rich
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline Bongo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2011, 11:15:47 PM »
We leave our Trackabout awning on all the time. Fold it across the roof for packing up. When we are on the road we have it tied down with a rope so it doesn't blow down during overnight stops. We also don't usually use pegs for these quick setups. A tressle table across the far end and a couple of bags on the near end to keep the floor spread out.

Cheers
Cheers,

Tom.

Offline Roysta

• Learning the Ropes
    • Haller Travels
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 07:18:14 AM »
Using the longest poles to flip the awning over the top of the tent is a great idea. Used the CT about 3 times I realised I was doing it all wrong.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2011, 07:14:22 AM »
Still off topic, but hey, what the heck.   We did drove up into Mt William Nat Park, but were camped back at the village green at Waterhouse point.   Yesterday we shifted from Dolphin Sands and are now at Swimcart beach at Binalong, north of St Helens.  Awesome. And I know :worthles:, have got to get around to a lot of things, far too relaxed.............
Kris and Kev

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2011, 08:32:14 AM »
I leave my anex on all the time,as I break down the camper I tie a rope to the centre pole hole hole of the anex and throw the rope over the main tent and that makes it easy to pull the anex across the roof. I leave the rope attatched and pack up. When I'm setting up the next time, fold out the tent area , set it up , throw the rope over the top and pull the anex across the roof to set it up. cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »
Can a hard floor leave its annex on?
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »
Taking it one step further, now I'm wondering whether I can leave the side walls attached too - I'm thinking if I leave them zipped to the awning, and just unzip the side where they attach to the main tent, I can fold the awning back then the sides over that, if you get me?! I use the side walls most longer stays, so will save time if it works.

Will give it a go next time out - you'll hear nothing if it doesn't work.... ;D

Cheers,

Origami Cam
Set your chickens free