Author Topic: Greatwall X240 Vs GU Patrol  (Read 14981 times)

Offline Rowanb

• Tent User
Greatwall X240 Vs GU Patrol
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:36 PM »
With all this Greatwall X240 stuff on telly thought I would go have a look (not that I'm really looking to sell), so I go for a drive, goes ok has a baby Mitsu engine and probably running gear. I ask ol mate how does it go off-road towing a camper trl? He doesn't know never had one off-road, but assures me the Patrol would be better. So I ask what the Patrol is worth he goes for a burn comes back and says mate nice car the best I can do is 5 grand. Now ill admit my 4b is used but well looked after has a few battle scars from being off-road, new cyl head and serviced regularly, he goes oh ok then well mate could probably go to 7 then says mate id be lucky to get 8 for it in the lot. So I thank ol mate and leave this 2 bit caryard in a cloud of 2.8 Turbo Diesel smoke.
Who would have thought that the X240 is such a good car it makes a GU patrol worth only 5 Grand. Serves myself right for being curious.
Row and Shaz.
Hubby and Wife team

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
Re: Greatwall X240 Vs GU Patrol
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 11:09:09 PM »
Trade ins suck
Traded my gu with suspension barwork tyres and a few other bits and only got 10k for it

But I have ask what were you smoking to even look at a one of those

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 12:19:57 AM »

But I have ask what were you smoking to even look at a one of those

You have to start at the absolute bottom, so you can see the benefits available as you go up in $$

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:03:56 AM »
Drive your rig till the wheels fall off ( no nissan pun intended ) My last Paj after 13 years was only worth 3k as a trader , put another 3>4k into it & its still an old Paj . When its time to trade up then their time has come . Though you would want to have a dam good rearon to trade a patrol for the unproven Great wall . Dose anybody remember the Niva  ???OOOooohhh. At least the heated rear window kept your hands warm as you pushed it .Do you ever see one on the road except on the Simms metal truck  ???. Oh yeaaar do you read Chinglisgas the service bok kould be ard tu hunderstrand  Though some like a chalange  :o
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Old Codger

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
The GreatWall seems underpowered to me??????

Offline miketanja

• Swag User
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:34:55 AM »
Dont knock the great walls too much.  I go 4wding often with one.  It does lack a little compared to my GU and some of the other cars - but keeps up with the hilux that comes along.  The only real downfall is the lack of rear LSD - although the guy is fixing that with a locker!

I understand peoples thoughts they are unproven.  But they are a rodeo chassis and mitsubishi engine - both well proven here and overseas.

It is underpowered - but not as bad as it looks on paper.

Of course, if you can afford it - the patrol is a much better car!

Offline FamilyTruckster

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:56:33 AM »
With selling a 4WD you are usually better off price wise to sell it privately. Most of the time you will get a bit more cash for it.

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 08:20:18 AM »
They do come up nice though, remember this thread, very good mods

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=6408.0

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »
Company I worked for in the uk a few yrs ago thought they would save by buying dual cab tata' from India, mecedes deisel engine etc. Not one lasted the 2 years of the project.

Offline Rowanb

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 10:24:17 AM »
Was looking and curious (not bi curious) It wasn't a bad"car" but is a soft roader and it shows in the shared parts its built with. The Rodeo is not a serious off-roader, sorry to all those Rodeo drivers, they can be built into a capable machine. Will be getting rid of the Patrol in 2040 though probably be very second hand by then.
Speewa we will be having words too (you have hurt my feelings  :'( )  I had a Lada I loved it and put it places some guys would not put there Patrols and cruisers ok I needed a run up and it scored a few battle scars in the process. Oh and BTW the rear window heater did not warm your hands normally the fire in the engine bay warmed your hands as you opened the bonnet to put the fire out.
Row and Shaz.
Hubby and Wife team

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
Rowanb My mistake you had the upmarket rig with the built in BBQ kit . Chuck the snags on the bonnet so the CFA will have something to eat when they arrive , those boys are good on the fang .
So where is the Niva now ?

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 11:40:11 AM »
Isn't the 'Great Wall' the winch challenge wall during the Outback Challenge?  ;D

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Rowanb

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »
The poor Lada was retired and left her in Darwin as I could not get her to Brissy at the time got 800 bucks for it though.
DFD no the great wall is a car that thinks its a 4wd you could be right though.  :cheers:
Row and Shaz.
Hubby and Wife team

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 12:31:33 PM »
What a scam $800 for that  bet they still looking for you  >:D

Offline Rowanb

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 12:42:41 PM »
 >:(  Got away clean but I still get a ribbing from a mate (its been like 9yrs now)who owns of all things a Landrover so he has no credibility.
I am actually on the prowl for another one I liked it that much (bring on the slander)
Row and Shaz.
Hubby and Wife team

Offline torsion

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
Greatwall v Patrol.
WTF????

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »
You generally get what you pay for.  The adverts on tele should be a warning when they are feeling sorry for you if you just spent $30K on a 4wd and they can sell you one for $24 or whatever the prices actually are.  Patrols are great 4wds but without lots of luxuries in them, generally pretty basic compared to most other vehicles out there and sell for a bit over $50K.  To me that means there is at least $25K worth of something missing from a GW.  Probably in reliability would be my gut feeling.
I know with the GW twin cabs that have a safety rating of bugger all that from an OHS point of view we couldn't buy one as a work vehicle when there are other equivalent vehicles with up to 5 star safety ratings.
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline Rowanb

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »
Agreed the Patrol will be with us for awhile but when the other halfs wants to go and have a look cause "im bored" will I probably deserved all the flack I get  :'(
Row and Shaz.
Hubby and Wife team

Offline miketanja

• Swag User
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 03:59:44 PM »
You generally get what you pay for.  The adverts on tele should be a warning when they are feeling sorry for you if you just spent $30K on a 4wd and they can sell you one for $24 or whatever the prices actually are.  Patrols are great 4wds but without lots of luxuries in them, generally pretty basic compared to most other vehicles out there and sell for a bit over $50K.  To me that means there is at least $25K worth of something missing from a GW.  Probably in reliability would be my gut feeling.

They are cheap for a number of reasons - first is the obvious one - cheap labour.  It costs Ford avg of $48 per hour for labour - GW has less than $8.  They also save on research - they will spend less on engine research over 5 years than Toyota does in 3 months - yes this means poor power.  They also saved on the chassis - bough it super cheap from GM - at something like $125 a car!  Research is a big cost of cars.  For example - when the AU ford came out - the car actually only cost $6800 to make in parts - or so I have been told.

I know with the GW twin cabs that have a safety rating of bugger all that from an OHS point of view we couldn't buy one as a work vehicle when there are other equivalent vehicles with up to 5 star safety ratings.

The current Nissan Patrol has a 3 star rating.  The current Great Wall Ute has a 3 star rating (they got 2 stars in last test where a seatbelt failed - which all have been replaced on a recall).  Navara, Colorado also scored 3 stars in last ancap test.  The hilux and triton have 4 stars.  Not a huge difference.  see www.ancap.com.au

The other part here is that a Patrol is not a comparison to the V240.  A patrol is a totally different car.

Dont get me wrong - I drive a GU patrol - andLOVE it.  I just dont like people saying bad things about something they dont know all the facts about.

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »
The current add on the tele (at least here in Albury) is for a X240 which isn't a ute but a wagon and though I don't think it is as big as a Patrol that is what was being compared in this thread.  I suppose labour costs do play a big part if there is $40 per hour difference

According to the ANCAP web site V240 has a 2 star rating, not 3.... I only mentioned the V240 because being involved with OHS when it comes to making decisions about safety of workers we need to do assessments on tools and machinery that we purchase, this applies to vehicles as well.  I know you are allowed to use cost to justify purchasing items that may not include as many safety features as another more expensive product but when you look at the risk and outcomes of accidents, ANCAP say you are twice as likely to be seriously injured or killed in a one star vehicle verses a 5 star vehicle so there is a big difference between the two ends of the spectrum.  They rate a two star vehicle as weak, a four star as acceptable.

BTW I also drive a Patrol and love it.  The Patrol test was done on an ST-S 2004 model and yes it got three stars.  Sounds like we have to wait until 2012 to see the new Patrol here and sometime after that until the crash tests are done...  To be honest, 4wd ability was the main reason behind us buying a Patrol.
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »
I cant believe any one would consider one of those cheap, unreliable , poorly made, pieces of poo.... come on . No normal person would buy a patrol....
Living the Dream.

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »
I cant believe any one would consider one of those cheap, unreliable , poorly made, pieces of poo.... come on . No normal person would buy a patrol....

Boom Tish.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Rowanb

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 07:43:04 PM »
I think a few of you guys have missed the point here I'm not trying to compare a Patrol against a Greatwall but making a point about how little you can get offered by car salesman. Do I love my Patrol you bet would I sell it you bet but my lotto numbers have not come up yet.
The only car I "would" compare a Patrol to is the Prius, now there is a good car with some great off-road ability and power to boot (watch movie other guys as the rear wheels spin not bad for a east-west engine lol) a fair comparison I reckon. :cheers:
Row and Shaz.
Hubby and Wife team

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 07:49:45 PM »
I think a few of you guys have missed the point here I'm not trying to compare a Patrol against a Greatwall

;D, your tread title is "Greatwall X240 Vs GU Patrol"    :cup:

Offline Old Codger

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 09:43:43 AM »
When I win Powerball, I will be buying a Patrol V8 with ALL the extras.