Author Topic: Newbie from NT  (Read 4577 times)

Offline eaglemini

• Learning the Ropes
Newbie from NT
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »
Thought I would introduce myself - Originally from SA, moved up to Darwin in 2007 with the wife then across to Nhulunbuy for five years. There we had three girls, all born in the local hospital and moved back to Darwin late last year. Bought an old camper (really cheap) in Nhulunbuy early last year and did it up a bit and tested it out with the family before making the decision to buy a better, newer version. After many hours trolling the net I ended up getting the Adventurer St - Off Road from Far Horizon Campers in Aldinga SA.

We were driving down for a holiday anyway and will be driving it back up for its maiden trip next week. Usual tow vehicle will be my '97 80 series but for comfort we brought the Falcon down to tow it back.

Can anyone recommend any good camping spots between Adelaide and Darwin that are sedan friendly?

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Newbie from NT
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:20:15 AM »
eaglemini Welcome to MySwag To you & your Bunch . You question about camping between Darwin & Adelaide . Grab Camps 7 book  it will give you the info & what to expect when you get there . Tis will become your travel Bible .Wayside stops , van parks , free camps its all there . Great for planning a trip . lf you like to try to sleep with a huge generator running Kulgra is the go , Huge diesel set to be missed if possible .  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline bushbandit

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Oh To Be On The Wallaby
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:24:56 AM »
Mate welcome don't worry about your vehicle we had to go up to Darwin couple years ago birth of grandson and we took a Commodore up and back all up 15,000kms just with camping gear in the rear did most places .Love Darwin we cant wait to get back.
2013 Mitsubishi Triton GLR 4x4
2015 Jayco Swift Outback

scarps

Newbie from NT
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:45:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum eaglemini.
Good looking rig.

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 07:06:10 AM »
Welcome to the forum eaglemini.
Good looking rig.

Happy Camping

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Marschy

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
Hello eaglemini

Having just sold an FG Falcon XR6 I recommend you get yourself a small bottle jack and a block of wood. The clearance at the rear of the vehicle when the trailer is hitched and you pull into a camp with uneven ground can make the task of getting the swing up jockey to drop down a pain. Similarly when you hitch up, getting it to swing up can be a chore.
The bottle jack will allow you to jack the drawbar up to maneuver the jockey wheel without having to empty your boot to get the car jack out.

Cheers Marschy

Offline ScottT

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Random acts of kindness without expectations
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:05:50 PM »
Hello eaglemini

Having just sold an FG Falcon XR6 I recommend you get yourself a small bottle jack and a block of wood. The clearance at the rear of the vehicle when the trailer is hitched and you pull into a camp with uneven ground can make the task of getting the swing up jockey to drop down a pain. Similarly when you hitch up, getting it to swing up can be a chore.
The bottle jack will allow you to jack the drawbar up to maneuver the jockey wheel without having to empty your boot to get the car jack out.

Cheers Marschy

Or a Jockey stand
2005 Toyota Prado 1KZ 120 Series
2008 Customline 12ft Deluxe Off Road

Marschy

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
Or a Jockey stand
Either or, but it will be easier to organise a bottle jack if picking it up from the manufacturer in SA and driving back to NT, unless they ask for one to be installed beforehand.

I have since put a jockey stand on my CT and it makes life a lot easier.

Offline elle.mac

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 03:22:14 PM »
Happy camping :)

We spent from August 11 to May this year living in Nhulunbuy - was a great place
2003 120 series Prado (aka the Beast)
2012 Customline Deluxe Offroad

KingBilly

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:59:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on the CT purchase.  Look forward to reading of your camping adventures.,

Happy camping
KB

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »
Welcome to MySwag eaglemini. Congrats on your newish CT.  I will see you around the forum.

Offline eaglemini

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »
Speewa158, yeah stopped in Kulgera on the way down. Very brief stop, generators didn't bother us as we stayed at the cop shop-will probably camp there again on way up. Marschy and Toddy_1, I bought an adjustable tongue for the towbar and getting the jockey wheel down doesn't seem too much of a problem on uneven ground. And elle.mac, I barged the falcon over to Gove when I bought it (pricey at almost 2k) in early 2011. Would be surprised if you didnt see it around-sticks out amongst the many 'cruisers in a remote town with a graded track for a highway...... Miss Gove a bit but not the cost of goods and quality of food (lack thereof).

Cheers for the welcome

Offline elle.mac

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 09:43:37 AM »
Haha yes anything but a 4wd does stick out in Gove  especially at Woolies car park - like you I certainly don't miss the price or wait (with empty shelfs) for the barge to come in. 
2003 120 series Prado (aka the Beast)
2012 Customline Deluxe Offroad

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »
Can anyone recommend any good camping spots between Adelaide and Darwin that are sedan friendly?

G'day eaglemini,

Mate that might be a question better off asked in the patrol forums

Seriously,

To Myswag,

Hope you enjoy your time here.
Happy & Safe travels.

BTW, Nice lookin Falcon.
I'm a Blue Oval man at heart.
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:53:28 PM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Brumbypt

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Trailers, trailers, trailers, trailers..
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 10:07:06 PM »
Its great the camper tows well and looks good behind ya sedan as well as ya cruiser.

Looking forward to hearing about ya travels.. especially up north.
1993 80 series landcruiser