Author Topic: Greetings, First time CT owner, Maiden Voyage to Moreton Island  (Read 4188 times)

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
Hi All,

We are long time campers but very new to the Camper Trailer scene. After researching for months and making the most of this awesome forum we had a budget of under 3k to spend and a list of must haves. We wanted something made of old school canvas, off road and something that had a reputable name in the world of Camper Trailers.

After coming close to purchasing on many occasions and also missing out on some good bargains, we managed to land ourselves a 2002 Trackabout Safari. We are very happy with our purchase as the trailer and tent are in good condition and with all the stickers of all over Australia on it we knew it could handle anything we could throw at it.

We have had it a few weeks now and were wanting to test run it before our trip to Moreton Island on the weekend. Test run didn't happen so it was straight to the big Island for 3 days.

I was a bit nervous with pulling a trailer on Moreton as I've been there many times before and have seen the variety of conditions that can greet you over there. The camper tows pretty well on the road but can definitely feel the weight of it behind the Rodeo. Anyway weather forecast for the weekend looked perfect and when we got off the barge I was happy to find firm sand. The Trackabout traveled great over the sand and had no problems getting up on to the middle track, across the Island and on to the Easter Beach.

We headed North and found a great campsite just before Blue Lagoon. Setting up the Camper was pretty easy over a few beers and before we knew it we were all sitting around the fire and having plenty of laughs and ample beers.

When midnight hit and it was time to stumble off to bed I soon discovered that this thing was worth every cent and was kicking myself for not getting on sooner. Climbing into an already made bed with real pillows and a real mattress was heaven!!! We slept like babies, warm and comfortable (could have something to do with the beers though)

Sat morning, woke to perfect blue sky and hardly a breeze. Off to the rocks early resulted in a couple of 37cm breams which were crumbed and cooked up with another bream I got that arvo and served with lemon and sweet chilli sauce.

Sat night was a bit cooler but still great for this time of year. The weather the whole weekend was just perfect and come Sunday nobody wanted to go anywhere. Whats better than Camping, fishing, campfire and good friends!!

Was over the moon how the camper handled the Island and loved the ease of setting up and having everything already packed for next time. I Will make a few modifications here and there but overall will prob leave it pretty basic. We are doing a 3 week trip in July up through central QLD and back down the coast road. Cant wait!!

Here are some pics of the Trailer and Moreton Island!!

Cheers,

Andy

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:23:58 PM by Annieandandy »

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Greetings, First time CT owner, Maiden Voyage to Moreton Island
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:34:54 PM »
Some more pics

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 04:42:26 PM »
And Some more

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:43:29 PM »
Gotta be happy with that,
                                     Welcome and i hope you have many more weekends like that..... :cup:..... :cheers: :cheers:
                                     Cheers Tracker.
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
Welcome,

Great pick up that CT,
Have fun with the Mods that you will do, because you can !!

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline trevc

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 10:30:18 PM »
Great stuff guys. Ive been lucky enough to travel around Australia and Moreton is probably my favorite place in the world.

Trev

Offline chisel

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle Extenda 2012, Landcruiser 100 TD 2006
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 04:59:07 PM »
Which rocks did you fish off?

Offline Annieandandy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 05:20:50 PM »
Which rocks did you fish off?

Chisel not sure what the rocks are called but they are basically straight up the Eastern beach to the tip and we just fished pretty much between the start of the rocks and the lighthouse.

Was about a 15min walk in from the track through a bit of bush down a sand valley and onto rocks. Have fished there plenty of times for good results.