Author Topic: Delay Darling River Trip?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline PenUltimate Destinations

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • PenUltimate Destinations
Delay Darling River Trip?
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:58:34 AM »
Hi All, just after a little collective advice please...

I've planned to take my family on the Darling River Run, next school holidays 9-24 April.

However, I'm currently looking at the amount of inland rain and continued flooding (currently the BOM advises the peak at Wilcannia won't take place until late March, lots of current road closures) and wondering whether it is too early to consider alternatives? While I'd love to see the river in full flow, I'm not to keen to fight receding floodwaters and soggy campgrounds.

So, should I start planning an alternative trip now (thinking perhaps NSW South Coast / VIC), or, hang tight for a while and see what transpires?

Dave Youl

2015 Ultimate Xterra
2006 Lexus LX470
Our blog - http://youl.id.au

Offline WaituiRob

• "Oldies still doing it.....Camping that is!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Delay Darling River Trip?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »
Hi,

We were in Menindee, staying at Kinchega N.P mid Oct. on the banks of the Darling. At that time the roads to Wilcannia and Pooncarrie were closed and it wasn`t raining.

The next night it rained and we had to stay an extra day and a half as the roads turned to slippery black clay
  and it was impossible to drive and the rangers closed the roads.

I should imagine that the situation would be similar for the next few weeks, but you can always check on
   centraldarling.nsw.gov.au/roads  (sorry don`t know how to do a link)

Robyn.

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:07:11 PM »
Sorry, I only just caught this thread...

Seeing as they are saying Bourke will be flooded with major to moderate flooding until mid March, I should think that you might want to reconsider your timing for your trip. I see that Bourke is only just now getting the first of the flood waters from the first rain event in Queensland. They've had our water from the rain event before Christmas in January and they are yet to get the second peak from Queensland.

The talk out here is that our "wet season" is not over yet, we are just in the early days of February and if the weather pattern is anything to go by, we're still due for more rain.

I'd advise to hold on your Darling river trip, as it is not just going down the Darling river that could be difficult for you but also getting out there as well. As most, if not all roads out around the Darling are of black soil, if they are at all wet, they are the worst kind of road to drive on. It also doesn't take much rain to see Shire councils shut them down either, these days. Our outback Shire's are at best, broke and they can't afford too much in the way of road fixing. Some of them, if not all, will be awaiting for flood relief money to come in before they actually do anything about the roads out here. We're still waiting for the main road into town to be fixed from flood damage that occurred back in early December!

If you can plan it for the September school holidays you might by then have a better idea of how wet or dry it will be.

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline PenUltimate Destinations

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • PenUltimate Destinations
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »
Thanks Duchess, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. I think you're right, time to start looking at alternatives for the April holidays, and possibly plan for the Darling in September. It will still be there, and there's no point heading out there just for the sake of it now, and messing up some already flood ravaged roads.

Am in Canberra on the first weekend of the holidays, so likely will head south from there and see where we end up!

Thanks

Dave
Dave Youl

2015 Ultimate Xterra
2006 Lexus LX470
Our blog - http://youl.id.au

Offline terryc

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »
You can use http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/ to check out road closures and conditions closer to the date.

The problem with the Darling (& most inland rivers) is that it is surrounded by black soil that goes very slippery after a shower. IME, the red soil is marginally better(you can pack up and exit if it starts raining, but on black soil you are in for a very exciting time.

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »
I'm being sent to Dubbo by the RFS this weekend to do some aviation radio duties, so I will be sure to gather some good info on the feeling of how much water is still out west and how long it is going to be there and report back after Monday.

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline jimsiron

• Swag User
  • 2010 Challenger LS manual, 2011 Discovery OB
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
At this stage the Lower Darling area which is controlled by the Wentworth Shire have most roads closed, especially the Pooncarie -Menindee rd, Top hut Rd and Mungo Rd. Most of our locals still use them but only for essential access, too much traffic usually destroys them. Roads around Ivanhoe are also closed. It only takes a few days and most are usually passable but due to abnormal rainfall and more predicted they are closed for longer periods. The Mildura Independant online news usually advises of the road closures in the Lower Darling area.
regards
Jimsiron