Author Topic: NRL 2018  (Read 32887 times)

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: NRL 2018
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2018, 06:39:57 PM »
thought exactly the same thing....big load of BS I thought, and his channel 9 mates giving him a platform to scream his side of the story from.

I don't  agree with all what Griffin said regarding the club and the lack of success in developing juniors. He was sack previously at the Broncos for under performing.
I don't agree in the way he was sacked but I think some people are letting their maroon glasses clouding their views.
It is a fact that the current panthers squad includes many local juniors who have progressed thru SG ball under 20 the former JimmBeam cup ( now in trust cup)
Many of these sides have won the respective comps.
Many other players have been let go due to salary cap issues.
The fact is the coach was done for.
It is interesting that the assistant coach has come out on the matter rebutting some of the claims of Griffin. https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/panthers-caretaker-coach-confirms-he-tried-to-quit/news-story/b178953fc3c412b7a3d524f7ba079573
Griffin never seen eye to eye with Wallace at Brisbane and this continued at Penrith, Wallace becoming an assistant coach on his retirement was further problematic. I  am an old Balmain boy and are happy for them to do well but after living in the Penrith junior area and having involvement with many of those involved with the club I'm happy he has gone. The potential for the club is huge with the right coach.
It maybe a master shot with them giving the GF a hot go without the coach.
Just remember there are 2 types of coaches
Those that are coaching and those that have been sacked. I think Griffin will remain that way for a while longer.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2018, 07:51:53 PM »

The potential for the club is huge with the right coach.

The trouble is, unless you take a gamble with an "unknown" coach, there isn't a lot of them floating around ?
It seems some coaches are successful with a club, but not another.
Same as a work environment....some bosses have plenty of qualifications but no people skills....but others have non of either and others have both !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2018, 07:55:52 PM »
I don't  agree with all what Griffin said regarding the club and the lack of success in developing juniors. He was sack previously at the Broncos for under performing.
I don't agree in the way he was sacked but I think some people are letting their maroon glasses clouding their views.
It is a fact that the current panthers squad includes many local juniors who have progressed thru SG ball under 20 the former JimmBeam cup ( now in trust cup)
Many of these sides have won the respective comps.
Many other players have been let go due to salary cap issues.
The fact is the coach was done for.
It is interesting that the assistant coach has come out on the matter rebutting some of the claims of Griffin. https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/panthers-caretaker-coach-confirms-he-tried-to-quit/news-story/b178953fc3c412b7a3d524f7ba079573
Griffin never seen eye to eye with Wallace at Brisbane and this continued at Penrith, Wallace becoming an assistant coach on his retirement was further problematic. I  am an old Balmain boy and are happy for them to do well but after living in the Penrith junior area and having involvement with many of those involved with the club I'm happy he has gone. The potential for the club is huge with the right coach.
It maybe a master shot with them giving the GF a hot go without the coach.
Just remember there are 2 types of coaches
Those that are coaching and those that have been sacked. I think Griffin will remain that way for a while longer.
Griffin was out of line with his juniors comment, but there's no way in the world Gould has been in the dark with getting Cleary to be coach there....he can spruik that BS all he likes, but I don't believe him. The Panthers being in 5th posotion with the injuries they had is a pretty decent effort I reckon.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
The trouble is, unless you take a gamble with an "unknown" coach, there isn't a lot of them floating around ?
It seems some coaches are successful with a club, but not another.
Same as a work environment....some bosses have plenty of qualifications but no people skills....but others have non of either and others have both !!

There is a good one around who has won a premiership in the last 4 years without a permanant gig.He also has a relationship with a former Penrith boss who turned the Panthers around in early 2000's and still has an interest in seeing the club do well. That boss was responsible for the coach getting his first NRL gig when director at that club.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2018, 11:47:10 AM »
Once a grub....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl/john-hopoate-cops-10-year-ban-from-rugby-league-over-park-football-fight-20180815-p4zxpy.html
if he was racially abused as he claims, the guys would deserve the flogging IMO....is he telling the truth?, I got no idea, wasn’t there so won’t judge him on this event. I’m more interested in barbequegate at The Donkeys...lol

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
if he was racially abused as he claims, the guys would deserve the flogging IMO....is he telling the truth?, I got no idea, wasn’t there so won’t judge him on this event. I’m more interested in barbequegate at The Donkeys...lol

as a broncos man, i hope BBQ-gate leads to both wayne and darius leaving the broncos...

wayne is done at the broncos... time for them to move to a new coach...

darius needs to actually start acting like a senior leader/captain, instead of sooking it in games and at BBQ's...

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2018, 06:21:40 PM »
as a broncos man, i hope BBQ-gate leads to both wayne and darius leaving the broncos...

wayne is done at the broncos... time for them to move to a new coach...

darius needs to actually start acting like a senior leader/captain, instead of sooking it in games and at BBQ's...
can't see how Wayne will be able to continue there next year, and his son inlaw looks to be compounding the problem and trying to turn the players against the people that pay thier wage.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2018, 09:27:44 AM »
Sad news breaking this morning that former champion Rugby League forward Lance Thompson has passed away.
Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5604786/lance-thompson-dead-at-40/?cs=1507

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
Sad news breaking this morning that former champion Rugby League forward Lance Thompson has passed away.
Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5604786/lance-thompson-dead-at-40/?cs=1507

no message at the end of article regarding Lifeline or the like, so i'll assume it wasn't a suicide.... drug overdose maybe?
The guy was a workhorse, sad to read of a life ending so young whatever the reason he has died.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »
Quote from: Rumpig
no message at the end of article regarding Lifeline or the like, so i'll assume it wasn't a suicide.... drug overdose maybe?
sadly the area is a drug Shithole these days.

The guy was a workhorse, sad to read of a life ending so young whatever the reason he has died.
agree

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/former-dragons-cult-hero-lance-thompson-dead-20180824-p4zzgn.html
'A report is being prepared for the coroner, but police say there were no suspicious circumstances or evidence of self harm. Thompson was 40.'
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2018, 07:26:27 PM »
News reports today are mentioning a possible medical episode as the cause of his death.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »
News reports today are mentioning a possible medical episode as the cause of his death.

Yeh, heard rumors of a heart attack...but he may have had other medical issues that we don't know about.....yet..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
Yeh, heard rumors of a heart attack...but he may have had other medical issues that we don't know about.....yet..
yeah I had heard possibly heart attack also, but could have been a few things I guess.... the MIL dropped on the spot from a brain aneurysm, no previous history / conditions and one of the healthiest people I know, just died suddenly out of the blue without any warning..

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2018, 07:01:20 AM »

Not drugs.

It was diabetic seizure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2018, 09:48:46 AM »
Oops.

The Cronulla Sharks are being investigated by the NRL over possible salary cap breaches.

The NRL has confirmed it is looking into alleged illegal payments to players during the 2015 and 2017 seasons.

Sharks chief executive Barry Russell made the NRL aware of potential “discrepancies” relating to historical third-party player payments discovered during a club-instigated governance review.

The Sharks asked the NRL’s Integrity Unit to make inquiries into salary cap matters at the club.

"Those inquiries are on-going so we are not in a position to comment further at this stage," a NRL spokesman said on Tuesday night.

"However, based on the information available, the Sharks and all other clubs are salary cap compliant for 2018."

It’s understood the Sharks have spent the requisite 95 per cent of their cap for the current season, leaving them with about $500,000 to play with.

The club won the Telstra Premiership in the 2016 season beating Melbourne Storm. But the irregularities that the Sharks uncovered themselves under an audit earlier this year, reportedly do not relate to the title-winning season.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5613649/cronulla-sharks-under-investigation-for-possible-salary-cap-breaches/?cs=1507

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2018, 02:39:35 PM »
Currently watching the women’s NRL match between the Broncos and Saints after catching yesterday’s women’s match aswell...is it wrong of me to laugh at the fact these women have better ball skills (get your minds out of the gutter) and better tackling skills then the Wallabies do? Yeah the woeful Wallabies jagged a win lastnight, but I watched the game (aswell as watching NRL on my phone at same time), and the Wallabies basic ball handling and tackling skills are being put to shame by these women :cup:

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2018, 07:26:47 PM »
Who would have thought, Dragons put 48 points on the broncos.
Oh when the Saints go marching in.
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2018, 08:17:05 PM »
I was at the game and the Broncos were woeful. Too many mistakes and St George made them pay dearly. I’d put my money on the bunnies next week though.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2018, 08:18:35 PM »
Just like The Saints and most other teams actually,  Broncos form has been so inconsistent.....so hard to know who'll win this year. Broncos should have put their women's team on the field today instead...lol.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2018, 09:42:39 PM »
3 field goals to win a game, don't see that every day

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2018, 10:09:06 PM »
3 field goals to win a game, don't see that every day

Unless you are watching a rugby test.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2018, 11:19:21 PM »
Unless you are watching a rugby test.
why would anyone in Australia still be watching the Woeful Wallabies...unless they are a Kiwi wanting to see their team towel up a second rate opposition for the hundredth time.
I changed channels at half time to see how the Wallabies were going...dropoed ball and players falling of tackles left right and centre, same old, same old

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2018, 12:56:19 PM »
Quote from: Rumpig
why would anyone in Australia still be watching the Woeful Wallabies...unless they are a Kiwi wanting to see their team towel up a second rate opposition for the hundredth time.
you do have a good point..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2018, 11:13:14 PM »
Was that a shoulder charge?   Have seen some good ones in highlights during the year and nothing said about then, not once.  Now they get to the pointy end and all of a sudden they want to call shoulder charge. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan