Author Topic: Inmarsat satellite plans  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
Inmarsat satellite plans
« on: March 19, 2019, 05:42:37 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some current info on best satphone plans. We have an Inmarsat Pro. Bought second hand. Never had it connected. Looking at options of connecting for a month when on trips.

Seems expensive to keep it connected when only needing to use it for about a month a year.

Interested to hear what plans/prepaid people are using and where the best deals might be.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Inmarsat satellite plans
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »
They were good when they came out as their plans had no time limits, so you could buy a $30 credit and it would last forever, then when they got enough punters they upped the prices and put time limits in them. I still have mine and only buy credit when I go away, but they are expensive. Can't tell you the prices as I haven't used it for too, too long but it is still connected as I checked it the other day, I use Electrotech for mine, John Cornish is the contact

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: Watty2975

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 05:39:48 AM »
We also have a inmarsat phone which we purchase pre paid credit for when travelling.  We view the outlay in the same way as taking out an insurance policy.     
We generally purchase by expiry time to cover the remote travel section/s of our trip... rather than the whole time we will be away as mobile phone coverage is certainly better than it was at the time we purchased the sat phone.  Just allow a couple of days to ensure that the credit has loaded onto the phone before leaving the beaten track. 

Desert Lover
The following users thanked this post: Watty2975

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 06:26:40 AM »
Hey Champ had a good chat to your sister the other day at the shops she’s doing well which is good to see. I bought an Isat phone pro new many years ago as others did when you could throw $100 on and would be good for two years. As you know that’s no longer the case. I just get a casual plan now with a new number each time and apply the credits to cover the trip time. Still a good phone especially the further north you go as it uses a geo stationery satellite over Asia. If I was travelling full time then I would be using the Irridium Network probably with the Irridium go. Pivotel supplies the credits for the Inmarsat network now so should be an agent local. Hope the wife and kids are well cheers Paul

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 07:22:19 AM »
Hey Mate,
Good to hear from you. Thanks for the info on phone plans too.
We are heading back up the Cape this year and after the mishap for one of our group last time, the sat phone is cheap insurance.
Think we’ll go the credit like you said. Got a quot for $49 for the month and $50 disconnection fee!

Thanks also Desert Lover & macca for your thoughts.

What are your thoughts on taking a tinny? I know you were looking at that last time you went.
I have one set up on the camper. Just not sure how much use I will get for the effort of carting it up there.

Hope all is well in RockVegas
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 06:12:34 AM »
Hey Mate,
Good to hear from you. Thanks for the info on phone plans too.
We are heading back up the Cape this year and after the mishap for one of our group last time, the sat phone is cheap insurance.
Think we’ll go the credit like you said. Got a quot for $49 for the month and $50 disconnection fee!

Thanks also Desert Lover & macca for your thoughts.

What are your thoughts on taking a tinny? I know you were looking at that last time you went.
I have one set up on the camper. Just not sure how much use I will get for the effort of carting it up there.

Hope all is well in RockVegas
Yes we spent about 8 weeks last trip. We did take the tinny but after the first two weeks with the crew we stayed at Conies beach for 10 days. From then on it was extended stays at Pennyfather and Bathurst bay fishing and relaxing in the boat. So for us not many set ups after the first two weeks. Also a chance to see other spots like Eddies and his back yard, Blencoe falls, Undara, mitchell river etc. did the Creb and the Starke again I enjoy the isolation.

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X