Author Topic: Selling QLD trailer to VIC buyer  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Oddy

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Odyssey XR Owner
Selling QLD trailer to VIC buyer
« on: June 24, 2019, 05:17:08 PM »
Ive taken a deposit from a VIC buyer on a camper trailer that is registered to me in QLD. They will be coming to pick it up and tow it home.  I’ve read some previous posts, and I think that the “correct” procedure is for me to cancel the rego and have the buyer obtain a permit to take an unregistered vehicle on the road. It requires a safety certificate, gas certificate, (CTP insurance? Not sure for a trailer) and a fee, and is only valid for 7 days maximum.   However the buyer wants to tow it home with my QLD plate on it and send the plate back to me. He will have paid me the full amount before taking it.  I can see a risk for him (it might fail VIC rego check) but what is the risk to me?  It isn’t illegal to loan your registered trailer to someone else and I could provide a letter of authorisation saying he is using it with my permission. He has to insure it.

Is this scheme OK?

Thanks
Oddy

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Selling QLD trailer to VIC buyer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 05:31:44 PM »
Talk to Qld. Tpt.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 05:51:38 PM »
Your selling it, just fill out the transfer of rego paperwork at the time of the sale. You keep your copy, he takes the triplicate and then all onus is on the buyer to transfer into their name.
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Hoyks

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 06:01:52 PM »
Its always a bit of a pain this one.

The correct way is to cancel the rego and they should get a permit to travel, but the system is mainly designed for motor vehicles, rather than trailers. The buyer will have to get a temporary rego from the Vic end and I don't think Vic Transport will actually recognise Qld gas certificates or rego inspections, so the vehicle is completely unregistered.

Personally, I think that for you its pretty low risk. Its highly unlikely they are going to do any ram-raids with a trailer on and CTP is paid on the tow vehicle. If you are selling it and he leaves with Qld rego & your plate on, then you will have to have the gas certificate and rego inspection anyway (of course you had all they before offering it for sale as per the legislation).

Get a receipt, fill out Part B of the F3520 Vehicle Registration Transfer Application (https://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/forms/QF3520/$file/F3520_CFD.pdf) You can also go on-line and inform Qld Transport that you have disposed of it but at the end of the day its the buyers responsibility to sort out the transfer.
The buyer has 14 days to do that, so that should be enough time for them to get home and to mail the plate back to you and you can get some of your rego $$ back, if they don't send it back, then you have proof you sold it and, again, its the buyers problem (you will be out of pocket for the left over rego though)   

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/transfer/online
The following users thanked this post: Oddy

Offline Fullberries

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 06:13:28 AM »
When i purchased a car from nsw and took it back to vic.
When it when over the pits and i re registered it i  my name they took the nsw plates and issued me vic ones.
Id just leave the plates on it would be easyer for old mate to get back to vic with it regoed.
I have heard that he may have to get a permit for each state if you hand the plates back in and that would be a pain

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 06:21:46 AM »
Would only need one permit, usually from the State he starts in (WA are the only odd ones)

However I would sell it with the plate on and fill out the paperwork as everyone says. No different to if he was from Queensland. If you don't get the plate back, or proof he has got Vic rego, them send your copy of the transfer to Qld transport to get it into his name.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 06:37:48 AM »
My Exodus 14 lived in WA till we picked it up in Ceduna & towed it home . l took it to Vic Roads , had it inspected , handed over the plates & paperwork  . Job done  With all the WA transfer papers & a receipt for the old plates it couldn't be easier  . Once the transfer papers are signed & exchanged its not your problem any more . :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 08:12:36 AM »
It requires a ... gas certificate,

Is the gas actually plumbed in to a fixed stove / fridge?

If not, & you only use a portable stove & bottle, then you shouldn't need a gas certificate.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »
Your selling it, just fill out the transfer of rego paperwork at the time of the sale. You keep your copy, he takes the triplicate and then all onus is on the buyer to transfer into their name.

Exactly you dont need any permits as it is a registered vehicle no matter what state. In VIC and WA they will just swap it straight over and NSW will treat it like an unregistered vehicle and it will have to go for a blue slip.

When you take delivery insure it with the QLD rego number (insurance company does not care as long as it is registered somewhere) then give them the new plate numbers when you sort it out

To double cover yourself in case the data bases at each state do not line up and they treat it as an unregistered vehicle also make sure you get a reciept of sale off the previous owner with name address and license details
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline bear92

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 10:41:19 AM »
We had the same issue - we live in QLD but the buyer was from Vic.  Our trailer sold within a week but I was interstate for work and came home late Friday so didn't have time to do what was needed from my end.

QLD transport says you have to hand in the plates and the buyer has to get the permit to drive the trailer back to Vic.  They the have to do their own roadworthy in Vic (even though you might have a QLD one) and arrange registration.  With the circumstances we were in we sold it as is with our plates.  As others have said, you don't need a gas compliance check unless you have plumbed gas.

There is no official paperwork to handle interstate sales.  As a precaution we got them to fill out the QLD transfer of rego so we had all their details and took a photo of their license.  We also signed a receipt/handover sale thing we typed up so we both had a record.

The purchaser told us they would transfer the rego as soon as they got back ... but they didn't.  Months later we got a letter from QLD transport saying somebody had re-registered the trailer interstate and were just checking that we knew about it so it all worked out ok in the end.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »
I agree with all of the comments about leaving the plates on the trailer and signing the transfer docs before they leave your place.

And for extra piece of mind, you can write up a reciept for the sale with the trailer vin and rego numbers, time, date, signitures and each others drivers licence number. Both parties take a copy.
That way any tolls, speeding fines, ect. that they might rack up on the way home can be pushed back to them.