Author Topic: CROCODILE at Gunshot on OTT  (Read 3663 times)

Offline avotrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
CROCODILE at Gunshot on OTT
« on: June 21, 2019, 12:13:54 PM »
Well, the old (and not so old) salties are really getting around more and more. No more swimming at lots of formally "safe" Cape York creeks etc! Bugger! www.facebook.com/thecroctent/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:10:10 PM by avotrol »
GU Patrol with home away from home.

Offline farcanal

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: CROCODILE at Gunshot on OTT
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »
It's time we started farming them.
I believe the meat is ok to eat and we all know the value of the skins.
Let's make some money out of them.
2018 Pajero NX GLS 3.2D auto, 2004 Kimberley Kamper Escape

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 09:21:29 AM »
So “walk it first “ huh ? No thanks !
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 11:11:19 AM »
It's time we started farming them.
I believe the meat is ok to eat and we all know the value of the skins.
Let's make some money out of them.

They do farm but the value is in juvenile croc skins.  Thats why they have egg collecting from out in the wild.   Hopefully if the croc does decide to bite someone..its one of the pricks that Shit next to the track and leave their paper behind as a feat of their accomplishment!!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: Coiled

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »
They do farm but the value is in juvenile croc skins.  Thats why they have egg collecting from out in the wild.   Hopefully if the croc does decide to bite someone..its one of the pricks that Shit next to the track and leave their paper behind as a feat of their accomplishment!!

Guarantee you, if I saw a croc, I'd be shyting myself and running like hell!!! ;D
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 07:10:57 AM »

Yup be perfect  :cheers:

Guarantee you, if I saw a croc, I'd be shyting myself and running like hell!!! ;D

:cup:
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 07:52:22 AM »
we have watched a 5.5M Salty swim past our camp on Town river  near Normantown ,,,hust keep on swimming l say  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »
we have watched a 5.5M Salty swim past our camp on Town river  near Normantown ,,,hust keep on swimming l say  :cheers:
used to be a similar sized resident croc up at Pennefather River back in 2006....we saw it a few days in a row from our camp at the river, which is why both our mates slept in the back of thier utes. One couple did that already, the other couple decided to set thier dome tent up on the ute tray at this location due to crocs...we however slept on the ground in a touring tent with our 3 year old daughter, having a wagon meant we had no choice in the matter, I would have slept on a ute tray there if I could of...lol
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 08:13:32 AM »
When I first did the OTT in 1987 dad and I saw heaps of crocs big enough to take a man or badly injure you along many of them creeks, we use to pull up and go hunting pigs back up the creek banks and in the srcubs there, there was no one around and we saw crocs in most the creeks, so there would be heaps more now, We never walked any creeks anywhere on the Cape we drove through just not safe, it was a dry year so most creeks were low,  on the beachs in shallow clear water we would walk some little creek crossing if there were no wheel tracks going in or coming out, just to see how soft the sand was but there was no one for miles around, seen a few around that 5 to 5,5m but heaps around 3,5 to 4,5m, saw most on the Pascoe river and the Wenlock river and the Deluhumty and Ducie Rivers, before Steve started putting his finger up there bums 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:09:22 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 08:25:27 AM »
It is so simple but people are just f,n stupid...Treat any waterway/creek/river or sea in the North of Australia as having a water gecko in it.    The "she,ll be right" attitude has seen quite a few deaths from crocs.   We even have large crocs on the Atherton Tablelands!!!! Escapees from a croc farm that really shouldn't be there...Photo of a 3-4 meter fella on a freshwater impoundment on farcebook.  Qld wildlife/fisheries are just in denial about it! Has been reported often.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »
When I first did the OTT in 1987 dad and I saw heaps of crocs big enough to take a man or badly injure you along many of them creeks, we use to pull up and go hunting pigs back up the creek banks and in the srcubs there, there was no one around and we saw crocs in most the creeks, so there would be heaps more now, We never walked any creeks anywhere on the Cape we drove through no way, on the beachs in shallow clear water we would walk some little creek crossing if there were no wheel tracks going in or coming out, just to see how soft the sand was but there was no one for miles around, seen a few around that 5 to 5,5m but heaps around 3,5 to 4,5m, saw most on the Pascoe river and the Wenlock river and the Deluhumty and Ducie Rivers, before Steve started putting his finger up there bums
we saw a monster salty on the river bank as we drove through Wajul Wajul community in 2006, also pulled up on a log bridge somewhere further North to get out of a mates dust cloud we had caught up to and saw half a dozen just under a metre long crocs sunning themselves on a creeks sandy embankment...no idea if they were freshies or salties though, and then also the big one we saw at Pennefather River aswell. I walked Nolans Crossing up there but that was about it, I let the sister in-laws partner walk the rest....lol.
The first time i went to Cape York was not long after the ferry operator guy got taken in the Jardine River whilst he swam out to fix it after it had broken down...Bamaga looked alot different back then from what it did in 2006 on my second visit there, can't imagine what it's like these days.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »
We crossed one lagoon on the way into Wattle hills station on the Pascoe river the water was over the bonnet in some spots and well over a 100m across, was a really hard rocky bottom but we were in 1st gear low range just incase we run up a big rock, but was told it was safe before hand very scary though
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:35:28 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer