Author Topic: End of Free Camping?  (Read 9048 times)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: End of Free Camping?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 05:35:26 PM »
This topic has turned pretty sh!tty...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 05:46:03 PM »
.  We can put a man on the moon yet we still don't have people who don't know basic hygiene and how to Shit in the bush.   Apart from a caravan licence we might have to introduce a licence for crapping.  Maybe combine the two for heavy loads.... :cheers:
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!
The following users thanked this post: plusnq, Craig Tomkinson

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 06:56:42 PM »
Gotta say that last year's trip to Ayres Rock had a few disgusting road side stops happen....pulled up at a rest area heading to the rock itself after turning off the Stuart Hwy, there's a phone booster thingy there and we needed to contact someone, whilst the misses made a phone call I thought I'd duck into the scrub and take a whizz...didn't get 2 metres into the scrub before seeing numerous landmines laying out in the open, ended up turning around and backtracking real fast. A few days later we stopped at a different rest area on the Stuart Hwy to have lunch, thought we'd head down the back of it to get further from the highway but the toilet paper in the grass and rubbish in general put a stop to that idea, headed back to the front of rest area and pulled up beside  the one and only table and chair set up there which happened to be in the dirt under a tree, misses started making lunch in the campers kitchen and I start walking around...on the other side of the table some grub had emptied thier chemical toilet into the dirt there...FFS, what goes through some people's heads to think that is a good idea. Thinking about that now, I guess it shows enforcing being self contained still won't stop the dickheads from doing the wrong thing.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 07:21:13 PM »
.  We can put a man on the moon yet we still don't have people who don't know basic hygiene and how to Shit in the bush.
remember this fossil
https://youtu.be/G1uE6a_r7Q4
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KathyL

• Tent User
    • Ron & Kathy's Adventures
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 07:29:38 PM »
During our recent four month visit to Tassie we stayed at a number of community-run camping grounds that work on a fee/donation basis and which offer free showers and/or water.

It was disappointing to be told by some managers/caretakers of "free" campers who stay in nearby free-camps and think nothing of visiting these community-run camping grounds at a time when the managers/caretakers are not there for a shower and/or water tank refill  - especially when some of these places have to buy water to fill their storage tanks ...
2016 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Ultimate Xplor GT
Travel Blog:  Not At Home Today

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2019, 08:06:53 PM »
During our recent four month visit to Tassie we stayed at a number of community-run camping grounds that work on a fee/donation basis and which offer free showers and/or water.

It was disappointing to be told by some managers/caretakers of "free" campers who stay in nearby free-camps and think nothing of visiting these community-run camping grounds at a time when the managers/caretakers are not there for a shower and/or water tank refill  - especially when some of these places have to buy water to fill their storage tanks ...
stayed at a Youcamp property a short while back where the owner of the property supplied firewood to you for free, it was included in the pretty cheap price he charged to stay on his property. Sadly  he informed me that now he was to start charging people for firewood due to those that lit huge big bonfires with his supply, and even worse...the people that loaded up thier vehicles with his firewood to take it to thier next camp.....seems there's plenty out there that'll do the wrong thing.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 08:11:03 PM »
remember this fossil
https://youtu.be/G1uE6a_r7Q4

Hahaha...yep seen it before. Many need to see it though!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »
Quote from: Rumpig
. Sadly  he informed me that now he was to start charging people for firewood due to those that lit huge big bonfires with his supply,
whats wrong with that?

and even worse...the people that loaded up thier vehicles with his firewood to take it to thier next camp.
thats ****ed. I'd never let em back in.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »
whats wrong with that?

it's not Victoria mate...he was supplying firewood for everyone there for a smaller ambiance type fire at each camp, people were taking the whole supply that was there for themself and burning it in one night.

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
it's not Victoria mate...he was supplying firewood for everyone there for a smaller ambiance type fire at each camp, people were taking the whole supply that was there for themself and burning it in one night.

Mal, I wonder if he might have been asking what was wrong with charging for it...

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2019, 09:55:30 PM »
Mal, I wonder if he might have been asking what was wrong with charging for it...

:cheers:
maybe....the guy was happy to supply it for free when people weren't abusing the privilege, but people's actions put an end to that.

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 07:16:18 AM »
maybe....the guy was happy to supply it for free when people weren't abusing the privilege, but people's actions put an end to that.

Same as the public restrooms toilet paper problems...thieving pricks.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 10:37:01 AM »
Quote from: Bigfish
Same as the public restrooms toilet paper problems...thieving pricks.
i dunno why people steal that 1/1000th of a ply dunny paper... its ****in useless.. no comfort or grip and you need to quad fold it to save a finger going through.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 11:51:50 AM »
i dunno why people steal that 1/1000th of a ply dunny paper... its ****in useless.. no comfort or grip and you need to quad fold it to save a finger going through.

We used to call it John Wayne paper...It was rough. It was tough...... and it didn't take Shit from anyone!!! :cheers:

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 12:54:24 PM »
We used to call it John Wayne paper...It was rough. It was tough...... and it didn't take Shit from anyone!!! :cheers:

It's from the James Bond series of toilet paper, one ply thicker than "Goldfinger"
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 01:10:54 PM »
I think the point is out of all this is that there are grubs everywhere and enforcing 'must be self contained' laws will not stop grubs being grubs. But it would effect us who do the right thing and especially camper trailers. I could not believe my luck this morning. Took the dog to one of my usual parks this morning and there in the car park was a great big turd! Surrounded by wipes. Ahhhhhhhh. The grub did not even walk a few metres into the bush. Same car park is sometimes used by pack packer vans, but no idea if that was the case this time.  I understand how sometimes the urge can be sudden but just walk into the bloody bush, not where everyone parks. Like I said grubs will be grubs and sadly they seem to breed the most.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 04:56:06 PM »
I think the point is out of all this is that there are grubs everywhere and enforcing 'must be self contained' laws will not stop grubs being grubs. But it would effect us who do the right thing and especially camper trailers. I could not believe my luck this morning. Took the dog to one of my usual parks this morning and there in the car park was a great big turd! Surrounded by wipes. Ahhhhhhhh. The grub did not even walk a few metres into the bush. Same car park is sometimes used by pack packer vans, but no idea if that was the case this time.  I understand how sometimes the urge can be sudden but just walk into the bloody bush, not where everyone parks. Like I said grubs will be grubs and sadly they seem to breed the most.  Kevin
whilst I agree with pretty much all you wrote, not sure it really effects camper trailer owners any more then others from a toilet point of view.... we've travelled with a chemical toilet and pop up tent in our camper for a while now, quick and easy to set up, even if doing on the move daily touring type trips. Can see how grey water will be more of an issue for camper trailers though, but only over caravans with bathrooms.... all the tent campers and hybrids and caravans without bathrooms will have the same issues trying to comply as well.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2019, 10:10:08 AM »
So just carrying on with this concept for a moment.

Where do you then dump your grey water ???

In the dump point (if there's one there) ???

I can see issues if a few 00 campers in this camping ground are all dumping 100l's of grey water as well as emptying their black tanks into the same dump point - what happens when it's full ??? ::) Or do you just pour your grey water down the dunny, where they all then back-up, because the septic system can't handle it all ???

Sounds a bit like some shiny-bum's wonderful theory, who, yet again, has no idea of how things work in the real world, outside his air-conditioned office on the 30th floor :'( >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2019, 01:05:56 PM »
whilst I agree with pretty much all you wrote, not sure it really effects camper trailer owners any more then others from a toilet point of view.... we've travelled with a chemical toilet and pop up tent in our camper for a while now, quick and easy to set up, even if doing on the move daily touring type trips. Can see how grey water will be more of an issue for camper trailers though, but only over caravans with bathrooms.... all the tent campers and hybrids and caravans without bathrooms will have the same issues trying to comply as well.
The camping areas that we have come across that enforce the requirement do not allow camper trailers because they do not have a sticker saying they are fully self contained. Mind you I am talking about a very few and then we just move on and spend our money at the next town, so not a big problem. But if the strict requirement went state or nation wide then that would be an issue for camper trailers. But I don't think that will happen. Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 01:42:50 PM »
Quote from: krisandkev
The camping areas that we have come across that enforce the requirement do not allow camper trailers because they do not have a sticker saying they are fully self contained.

Sticker? Never seen nor heard of one for that...

but I can see someone making up 100 of them and selling on Ebay now :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline KathyL

• Tent User
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
Sticker? Never seen nor heard of one for that...
Self Contained Vehicle Policy & Leave No Trace

The hardest part for camper trailer owners will be containing shower water as self containment often requires an on board shower because outdoor showers are not allowed in areas where it is hard to prevent water from running onto the ground.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:20:37 PM by KathyL »
2016 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Ultimate Xplor GT

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2019, 02:26:44 PM »

The hardest part for camper trailer owners will be containing shower water as self containment often requires an on board shower because outdoor showers are not allowed in areas where it is hard to prevent water from running onto the ground.
so you have to be in that club to get a sticker to let you free camp?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »
Hi,
    Not exactly, if you are a member of CMCA they will certify your rig and you get the sticker to put on it.
It is really meant for hard stand 'camping' such as car parks and not for isolated bush camps where water on the ground will soak in and not be unsightly.
I'm not a member, but have spoken with many who are, and I can see a place for such restrictions in places where say a bakery opens their car park for overnight use and they don't want the hassle of slops (or worse) being considered a biohazard.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2019, 03:48:42 PM »

So if you don't have a shower you have no need for a shower water collector. I,m quite happy to pay $5 for a shower if I need one at a van park or service station and use the dunny if needed as well.  When travelling I simply use a paper plate or sandwiches for meals...including the evening meal..No need for any sort of water except for a brew of tea....Why should I be forced away from an area when the rules applied will not have any bearing on my camping set up.  Just another example of bullShit laws.  If they are son concerned employ more inspectors...or garbage collectors to pick up the overflowing garbage bins. Better still...put more bins in..

Offline KathyL

• Tent User
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2019, 05:26:39 PM »
If they are son concerned employ more inspectors...or garbage collectors to pick up the overflowing garbage bins. Better still...put more bins in..
Why can't people just take their rubbish with them?  The majority of the stuff people want to throw away - with the exception of scraps from food that has been caught - was brought in (which meant there was space for it in their car, camper, caravan, etc) and most packaging can be squashed/compressed.

If we camp in a location that doesn't have garbage bins we take our rubbish with us. Not that difficult really ...
2016 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2015 Ultimate Xplor GT