Author Topic: School me on Smart TVs  (Read 6569 times)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: School me on Smart TVs
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2020, 06:11:25 PM »
Thanks in part to the $750 stimulus package, we bought a new tv 2 weeks ago. Samsung 75", NOT the Qled. $1495.

Had only recently bought an Apple tv, so was thinking I was stuck with a device that I had no use for, but I find it much easier to use than the netflix app on the tv and it has more features....like being able to pause and rewind for 5 or 10 secs etc, and siri makes finding some movies easy.

We find we are watching a movie on neflix nearly every night due to the rubbish on FTA, and some other nights a movie on Foxtel ( very rare to get a current movie )

We don't do any internet stuff on the tv, so the smart feature of it isn't really needed, but the 75" part of it is certainly nice..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2020, 06:48:28 PM »
Not sure what you mean  ;D but last night I watched Gogglebox who were watching Lego Masters so it saved me from watching one show at least. Also found Monster Hunters interesting this morning too when they nearly caught a bigfoot roaming the Appalachian Mountains in the US. I reckon they might get one next week  :cup:

Thanks all for the comments so far and based on what you have all said I am starting to change my mind about the smart tv option and think seriously about an android box (am I allowed to buy from China?).

Have a look on youtube about android tv and/or kodi box's  :cheers:
Lots of info on how to set them up
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2020, 06:57:57 PM »

Thanks all for the comments so far and based on what you have all said I am starting to change my mind about the smart tv option and think seriously about an android box (am I allowed to buy from China?).

If you are buying a new TV, I'm not sure you can buy one that's NOT a smart tv.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline whitey001

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 08:00:58 PM »
I picked up a 65"Samsung Q70 QLED about 2 months ago for $1600.  Right place, right time, right price matching.  At the time most places still wanted $2100 on sale and this was just reduced from a bit over 3k.  Wasn't planning on buying that day but at that price couldn't say no.  I had already researched some options and hadn't considered this model due to the price.  A few quick carpark google reviews and decision was made.

Does everything we need, streams Netflix fine & BluRay quality is awesome on it.

Al.
2015 MU-X LST
2019 Jayco Journey 15.48-5

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2020, 08:35:55 PM »
I picked up a 65"Samsung Q70 QLED about 2 months ago for $1600.  Right place, right time, right price matching.  At the time most places still wanted $2100 on sale and this was just reduced from a bit over 3k.  Wasn't planning on buying that day but at that price couldn't say no.  I had already researched some options and hadn't considered this model due to the price.  A few quick carpark google reviews and decision was made.

Does everything we need, streams Netflix fine & BluRay quality is awesome on it.

Al.

$1600-00   :o :o :o :o
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2020, 08:58:36 PM »
$1600-00   :o :o :o :o

Over half what I paid for my 80 series Land Cruiser...

Which is why we have a $400 LG TV and a Google Chromecast....

BUT each to their own....

We are starting to see it suffering, as boss would like a soundbar for it - but that's not available for our (not that elderly) TV as it doesn't have the right connections. At the moment we'll stick to speakers running out the 3.5mm stereo jack socket.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2020, 10:13:54 PM »

We are starting to see it suffering, as boss would like a soundbar for it - but that's not available for our (not that elderly) TV as it doesn't have the right connections. At the moment we'll stick to speakers running out the 3.5mm stereo jack socket.

Everybody seems to want a soundbar, but I can't see what's wrong with the old 7.1 surround system that makes the windows shake when you crank it up !!   ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2020, 10:20:46 PM »
Everybody seems to want a soundbar, but I can't see what's wrong with the old 7.1 surround system that makes the windows shake when you crank it up !!   ;D

That's a more high tech approach than we have - when a few things settle down and sort out, I'll try to get my Yamaha separates out to here and they'll certainly rattle the neighbours windows... we experimented once and they were clear from 200m away...

Offline whitey001

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2020, 10:25:04 PM »
Over half what I paid for my 80 series Land Cruiser...

Which is why we have a $400 LG TV and a Google Chromecast....

BUT each to their own....

It was an upgrade from a 10 year old plasma tv. 

Al.
2015 MU-X LST
2019 Jayco Journey 15.48-5

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2020, 07:04:25 AM »

Have a look on youtube about android tv and/or kodi box's  :cheers:
Lots of info on how to set them up

Thanks for that. I did read your thread in regards to Kodi box etc and it went over my head a bit at the time mainly because I hadn't heard of them before and wasn't sure what you were trying to do / get out of it.

Not sure if I have been extremely lucky or not but for as long as I have been buying them I have only every really bought the cheapest tv I could find and have never had a problem. My current (TCL 55" Led) one I think cost about $750 and I have had it for about 7 - 8 years now. I very nearly pulled the pin on one at ALDI a couple of months ago (65" 4K Smart for $669) but hadn't done enough research at the time so didn't do it.

Talking to my brother last night I also need to think about the hz rating apparently as the higher the better. Don't know why so need to look into that also  ;D. It never used to be this hard but that is what technology does for you I suppose

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2020, 07:08:30 AM »
Talking to my brother last night I also need to think about the hz rating apparently as the higher the better. Don't know why so need to look into that also  ;D. It never used to be this hard but that is what technology does for you I suppose

not apparently... the higher the better.

TCL and Hisense are both acceptable cheaper options, mainly because they come with a factory 3 year warranty.

i've had both and for the price you pay, perfectly acceptable.

Offline k100dennis

• Learning the Ropes
  • Dennis & Wendy Brown
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2020, 07:20:20 AM »
We are also looking at buying the 55" LG OLED.
@k100dennis what is your opinion of that TV?
  It has been excellent.  Ours is a curved screen and 3D capable but neither of these features are necessary, though I will say the ability to view the screen at extreme angles is quite impressive.
The only thing I have noted of late is there appears to be a slight screen burn across the bottom where the "ticker" comes up on news etc.  Strange, because it's not there all the time.  There is plenty written about it on the net.
As for the OLED technology, it certainly gives a true image with the proper black background.  Dunno the life expectancy, probably between 5 and 10 years I would guess.  Cost us $3K 2 years ago.  I would definitely buy the same again.
Kimberly Kamper Kakadu, 2001 model.  NP Pajero, 3.2 DiD.

Offline Mitch92

• Tent User
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2020, 07:33:08 AM »
Call me a tightass but I refuse to spend more than a grand on a TV. Last one I got was a couple years ago, LG 50 inch for about 750/800, and even that was stretching it for me. More than enough features, smart tv so use netflix and Stan etc. The menu is easy to use and no crashes etc so I'd recommend LG as a decent option.

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2020, 07:44:21 AM »

70" Sony, 100W RMS 5.1 surround sound, Saving Private Ryan. Enough to get a visit from Mr Plod :)
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2020, 08:06:03 AM »
Enough to get a visit from Mr Plod :)

Just because of the noise level, or the gunfire scaring the neighbours ??? >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2020, 09:42:53 AM »
Quote from: k100dennis
and 3D

Was 3D the biggest fail ever? I mean didnt it fall on its arse faster than a speeding bullet.. one min it was going to be the next best thing... now you wouldnt be able to buy one, not for years.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »
The other benefit is discovered with the Samsung 65 inch QELD was by accident

I am working from home atm due to the dreaded COVID-19 and i do a lot of work on spreadsheets. (usually use 2 screens at work) well the other day i ran a hdmi cable from the computer to the samsung and wow it was awsome to sit back on the lounge and work on a clear as a bell hi def spreadsheet
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »
Quote from: chester ver2.0
The other benefit is discovered with the Samsung 65 inch QELD was by accident

I am working from home atm due to the dreaded COVID-19 and i do a lot of work on spreadsheets. (usually use 2 screens at work) well the other day i ran a hdmi cable from the computer to the samsung and wow it was awsome to sit back on the lounge and work on a clear as a bell hi def spreadsheet
yep, can basically use most TV's as a monitor these days. Great for Youtube if you dont have the app on TV.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2020, 02:21:36 PM »
yep, can basically use most TV's as a monitor these days. Great for Youtube if you dont have the app on TV.

Basically, that's the main use these days with the rubbish they dish up on FTA...... Netflix, Foxtel, Stan, Disney, U tube etc etc...
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra