Author Topic: Solo Camper  (Read 3284 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Solo Camper
« on: October 19, 2020, 10:42:49 PM »
I'll throw it out there and see what the collective group can suggest.   

Due to the mother-in-law succumbing to a lung infection (NOT COVID) the Father-in-law is reassessing his life and life style.   

He has always been one to wander and explore but due to her failing health they have been stagnant for the last several years. 

Being a bit older he doesn't think he will have his driver's license for much longer but also doesn't like the idea of just staying put much either.

He has always has had a number of different types of campers from converted Coaster bus, Hiace campervan, numerous types of caravans and campers to self built campers in/on trailers.   

Talking to him after the funeral he was talking about getting another Hiace type campervan.  As the Bride is staying with him for a little while, helping to sort somethings out in the house.   While talking to her, he mentioned he wasn't sure about a van and back to towing something and was looking at the Avan campers.   

He is looking for a little camper/van that is basic, for a solo traveller, no canvas for security reasons, with minimal setup and breakdown,  bed travels made ready sleep in.   

Any suggestions?   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Solo Camper
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 06:05:34 AM »
A  jaco pod or a tear drop might be the style to go   ..Here is a styromax quick build    https://www.facebook.com/mybandbcamper     The my B & B camper ..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 06:09:06 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 06:09:50 AM »
"Being a bit older he doesn't think he will have his driver's license for much longer "

Based on the above, I would question whether he should be driving/towing something larger than what he is use to.

Only he can answer that, but a question you might want to ask.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 06:30:08 AM »
What about a simple VW Transporter style camper van?

Easy setup and no issues parking in town or stopping at a hotel/motor inn if he needs a decent room for a night or 2 while traveling around.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 06:34:04 AM »
"Being a bit older he doesn't think he will have his driver's license for much longer "

Based on the above, I would question whether he should be driving/towing something larger than what he is use to.

Only he can answer that, but a question you might want to ask.

Largely that is him asking the question.  He is only 83, still got all his faculties, still capable and able to do all the things needed, drives good and can still reverse with a trailer.  Just the last couple of years he hasn't driven far.  Once he gets back in the saddle he is right.     
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 06:48:13 AM »
A  jaco pod or a tear drop might be the style to go   ..Here is a styromax quick build    https://www.facebook.com/mybandbcamper     The my B & B camper ..

I suggested the Jayco J pod and he websurfed a few of the tear drop style campers but wasn't really taken by them for different reasons.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 07:00:45 AM »
Another factor is where is he going to be staying ???

Caravan parks with facilities, power & water available / camping grounds with things "over there" / or remote bush camps that he's got to diy everything, especially a dunny, carrying water, setting up solar panels & so on ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 07:01:34 AM »
IMHO, something that will allow him to drive around without breaking camp, and nothing that requires on-site assembly or contortionism to access.

I'd suggest a small pop-top, with electric lifting doo-hickeys for the roof.

:cheers:

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 07:05:24 AM »

Easy setup and no issues parking in town or stopping at a hotel/motor inn if he needs a decent room for a night or 2 while traveling around.

Yep he started of talking about a Hiace van and I thought that would have suited him well.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 07:06:46 AM »
Tow a small, 12ft van. No Canvas, No Pop Top, No breaking camp to go anywhere, small, compact, lightweight, easy to tow and can be secure.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 07:24:46 AM »
On a recent trip, I was chatting to a woman, in her mid 70s, who is on her lonesome and travelling in this. Quite a good setup for one and easy to operate. With her solar panel, she is 99% independant and mainly free camps.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 07:30:03 AM by Steffo1 »
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 07:24:59 AM »
Tow a small, 12ft van. No Canvas, No Pop Top, No breaking camp to go anywhere, small, compact, lightweight, easy to tow and can be secure.

His last few vans have been exactly that but he did sell not just the van but also the tow vehicle just so they wouldn't do any tripping while she was crook.   Now he has a late model Nissan Xtrail which has a max tow rating of just over the ton.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 07:26:38 AM »
Another factor is where is he going to be staying ???

Caravan parks with facilities, power & water available / camping grounds with things "over there" / or remote bush camps that he's got to diy everything, especially a dunny, carrying water, setting up solar panels & so on ???

He loves getting away to his local beach area and stays at the caravan park there, but has previously done a lot of free camping so it is a mixed bag.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 07:49:59 AM »
On a recent trip, I was chatting to a woman, in her mid 70s, who is on her lonesome and travelling in this. Quite a good setup for one and easy to operate. With her solar panel, she is 99% independant and mainly free camps.

I think it's the way to go for a solo senior camper.   Simple easy and the least amount of parts to go wrong.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 08:09:58 AM »
When I started to read your initial post my first thought was HiAce van style.  Probably wouldn't go pop top on one though unless it is little effort.  Fiamma style awning and pull out kitchen. 
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 08:13:33 AM »
I think it's the way to go for a solo senior camper.   Simple easy and the least amount of parts to go wrong.

Yep, I don't see the point in him towing something, if he wanted something he could take a bit more offroad, then one of the tray back campers on a Hilux would be another option, although that might end up being a bit high to get up into.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 08:49:45 AM »
Quote from: Pete79
Good option I reckon... less problems with backing trailers, and less to break down. My olds had a Kombi in the 70/80's.. went everywhere in that and was really well setup.

Or if he wants offroad, something like Noels ute camper
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »
My sister is a solo traveler in her mid 60's ...  Has a VW caddy, no pop top,  just a DIY bed with room underneath for storage ..hanging rail for clothes and plastic storage boxes .. A shelf bench along the inside to take a gas cannister twin burner stove  .. 40lt Engel with solar,  two 10 lt water jerries strapped to the floor + a cassette toilet  ..table / chair and a 4wd type roll out awning with  walls if she wants ..
Its been all she needed and quite regularly traveled from the East coast to the West coast over 2 > 3 months at a time ..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:22:37 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 01:12:50 PM »
My sister is a solo traveler in her mid 60's ...  Has a VW caddy, no pop top,  just a DIY bed with room underneath for storage ..hanging rail for clothes and plastic storage boxes .. A shelf bench along the inside to take a gas cannister twin burner stove  .. 40lt Engel with solar,  two 10 lt water jerries strapped to the floor + a cassette toilet  ..table / chair and a 4wd type roll out awning with  walls if she wants ..
Its been all she needed and quite regularly traveled from the East coast to the West coast over 2 > 3 months at a time ..

Originally talking to him that is the sort of set up he was talking about.  While he doesn't have a camper/van at present he still has a lot of camping gear he can use.   Next time I talk to him he may be onto the next idea
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline dogbox

• Swag User
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
does he have a budget

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 01:42:50 PM »
does he have a budget

He has a bit of funds behind him but I don't think he is looking to big with the budget
Cheers

Al and/or Jan