Author Topic: Who's had a look at an MDC Cape York?  (Read 35397 times)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Who's had a look at an MDC Cape York?
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »
I've been looking at all things offroad from vans to soft floors over the last year trying to decide which way to go forward, and watching the second hand pages for the odd bargain.
I've come back to the above trailer a few times and am getting close to putting a deposit on one.
I've toured with two of the cheaper rear fold versions and believe that for the $14k odd they paid for them they got a good deal. Neither have had major issues apart from the poor old jockey wheel not loving the 300 odd k.g. that they are subjected to. I am prepared for the ball weight of a fully loaded rear fold for touring. To get local product with anything like the amount of (16 oz) canvas much less the rest of it, the prices are pretty much starting at nearly double the $20k I can have one for. I have to give it to the Asians, they learn bloody quick. The first series of Korean cars were abysmal and just look at them now (I had a Kia Ceres 4x4 cab over many moons ago). It would appear that camper manufacture is closing gaps equally as fast. It's never going to be the Kimberley kamper of which it is a dead flop (something about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery?) but at the price point I'm finding it tough to go past.
Edit - to repeat the question, I'd like actual feedback from people when have actually seen the camper trailer? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:03:36 PM by GBC »

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
Re: Who's had a look at an MDC Cape York?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 06:15:45 PM »
OOps! There's that familiar brand name again..   ;D

Offline wedwards

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
Sitting here laughing at my phone with everyone looking at me funny ... Not sure why I find that so amusing but it tripped my switch :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 07:35:01 PM »
I know where this will go........but, why not buy one instead of trying to start a debate ?

You haven't asked a question, you have told us you want to buy one ??

Buy it !! Then tell us in 12 mths how it went ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

KingBilly

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:41:11 PM »
It's never going to be the Kimberley kamper of which it is a dead flop (something about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery?) but at the price point I'm finding it tough to go past.

And that is the most important part of your decision process, knowing the difference and being prepared to do some modifications.  Good luck with your decisions.

KB
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
I know where this will go........but, why not buy one instead of trying to start a debate ?

You haven't asked a question, you have told us you want to buy one ??

Buy it !! Then tell us in 12 mths how it went ??

So you haven't had a look then? Or you don't know how a question is crafted?
I was after current views rather than old rhetoric and 'debates' based thereupon. I did do a search prior to posting.

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
Read it twice and, brand not relevant, did not see one question mark......(?). [apart from the thread title]

And, I do know how a question is crafted......

What is it you actually want to know?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:49:13 PM by jw2170 »
Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »
Buy it & post up Your observations of how it went , compared to what has been told to us  :cheers:
 No debate   ,  do it . lts your call              :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 08:51:34 PM »

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.
The following users thanked this post: jeffro

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »
So you haven't had a look then? Or you don't know how a question is crafted?
I was after current views rather than old rhetoric and 'debates' based thereupon. I did do a search prior to posting.

I read your whole 1st post. If you were asking a question you went about in a very strange way ??

The only craft I know is cheese !!

If you were after current views, why not say so ??

As for current views..........I have none !!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

UIZ733

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 09:10:39 PM »
As for current views..........I have none !!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yet.  ;D

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 06:52:17 AM »
Buy it Buy it     then get a bigger tug    ,    A Jeep    8)
 This sounds like a match made in a  " Work Shop "      :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline wedwards

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 07:48:56 AM »
What's wrong with a jeep?

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 07:57:11 AM »
Enough BS, let's get this back on track.

Can anyone share their experience of this camper?

Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails
The following users thanked this post: Lemo79, Peterr, GBC

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »
There's an MDC owners group Facebook page that you would have a MUCH better chance of gaining any feedback from, other than here.  ::)

I was talking to a guy only a couple of weeks ago who has one. It's for sale at the moment. He recently travelled through the Gulf with it, and only had one issue that was driver error, not the trailer's fault.

I think he was asking $12k ??? He's on Brisbanes Northside if that's any good to you? I can get his number if you want it?

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 09:28:02 AM »

Edit - to repeat the question, I'd like actual feedback from people when have actually seen the camper trailer? Thoughts?

Aahh, now you have asked a question !!

Yes, I have seen the camper trailer in question. Thoughts ?   It looks pretty !
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 09:37:09 AM »
Enough BS, let's get this back on track.

Can anyone share their experience of this camper?

x  2 and well said.

Cheers

Disco Teddy.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.

Offline wedwards

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 09:54:18 AM »
It was on our short list however they couldn't get one in for us in time to have a look at it in person, so we dismissed it (albeit this was just after new years, so they had a good excuse).  Definately had a lot of features on paper that we liked - probably the only MDC model that I would have seriously considered buying based on our list of requirements.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 10:27:38 AM »
There's an MDC owners group Facebook page that you would have a MUCH better chance of gaining any feedback from, other than here.  ::)

I was talking to a guy only a couple of weeks ago who has one. It's for sale at the moment. He recently travelled through the Gulf with it, and only had one issue that was driver error, not the trailer's fault.

I think he was asking $12k ??? He's on Brisbanes Northside if that's any good to you? I can get his number if you want it?

Shane.

If it's a Cape York at that money I'd be interested, Yes please.

The new trailer factory warranty is appealing however - I'm not new to this and am going in with open eyes.

The bottom line is it'll get used for a couple of trips a year and a trek every couple of years at most - camping isn't the only form of holidaying we do, and the view's the same no matter what you've arrived in. Bob Ansett told me that sitting in the Noosa Surf club years ago and I've never forgotten it.

Offline wedwards

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »

The new trailer factory warranty is appealing however - I'm not new to this and am going in with open eyes.

The bottom line is it'll get used for a couple of trips a year and a trek every couple of years at most - camping isn't the only form of holidaying we do, and the view's the same no matter what you've arrived in. Bob Ansett told me that sitting in the Noosa Surf club years ago and I've never forgotten it.

From what Ive seen of the MDC and other imported camper ranges, if you don't try and beat the crap out of them like you would a hardened off-road vehicle, and you drive to the conditions (letting tyres down when necessary etc etc), then they will do all that it sounds like you want to do.  Some people assume off-road means it can take any kind of beating on any track you ever want to throw at it.  Thats not really going to end well for almost any trailer on the market - yes there are some that will be fine at the end of all that, but Im pretty sure I could kill any trailer out there with a good dose of stupid.

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 12:09:01 PM »
I haven’t seen the model your looking at personally, but I am seeing more and more MDC campers on the road and in camp grounds. So just based on pure numbers they must be doing something right.

I have to agree with the original post and agree from what I’ve seen and heard MDC are constantly evolving when it comes to quality control. When they first came into the market I would have never considered one, but now over time I’m starting to change my mind because we don’t do long trips on punishing tracks, so for our trips they are starting to tick more and more boxes especially for the price.

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 12:29:57 PM »

My stuff up, I got the MDC bit right, but that's about it  ;D
Crusader FF.

I dunno why I was thinking a Cape York ???
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline hempo

• Tent User
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 05:03:55 PM »
Looks like this model won the camper trailer of the year http://www.campertraileraustralia.com.au/campertrailer-reviews/1512/camper-trailer-of-the-year-2016-winner-mdc-venturer-lt-cape-york-edition/

Is that the same model you are enquiring about?
2016 Holden Colorado LS Cab Chassis with 2011 Jimboomba Condamine Camper Trailer

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »
Yes mate, that is the one I am interested in. A bit of a loss leader strategy to win awards and get market share I'd guess. Is there anything else for $20k I should be looking at? Not interested in forward folders - layout doesn't suit a family in the annexe area. Not interested in soft floors. The lifestyle 2+ was the only other thing that took our fancy but by the time it was modestly optioned to suit it had moved a price bracket or two from the door price and still required further post production modification to suit our touring requirements which we aren't really interested in inventing and the factory couldn't help with. It is a good product though.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:18 PM »
I have not seen the Cape York.
I do have a couple Mates with different model MDC campers and in the two years they have owned them there have been no problems.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown