Author Topic: ModCon C3 Hybrid Caravan  (Read 15464 times)

Offline Studogg

• Learning the Ropes
Re: ModCon C3 Hybrid Caravan
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 10:35:07 PM »
This is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for. Have owned a soft floor camper for 11 years. We want to upgrade to a hybrid caravan that basically needs no setting up. Goes off road but on easy tracks. Not after Toyota Tuff. Inside only want queen bed, two bunks for kids and some storage. No inside kitchen at all. Just want to sleep inside. Want an outside kitchen and a pantry sort of thing built into the side. I had done up my own drawing and it was very similar to the modcon camper. Was thinking of building one but for the price of this thing I wouldn't bother.

The only thing I am unsure of on this thing is the annex. We like having a bigger under cover outside area. We cut the annex off our camper and setup a 6m x 6m tarp over it. I have been thinking of solutions for mounting a bigger annex to a hybrid caravan type thing. Once again this comes back to ease of setup verses how big it can be. It will be a little while before we can afford one but I will keep watching with interest.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 07:58:58 AM »
Eazy enough to do extensions onto an awning track for longer / wider awnings ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 08:14:25 AM »
This is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for. Have owned a soft floor camper for 11 years. We want to upgrade to a hybrid caravan that basically needs no setting up. Goes off road but on easy tracks. Not after Toyota Tuff. Inside only want queen bed, two bunks for kids and some storage. No inside kitchen at all. Just want to sleep inside. Want an outside kitchen and a pantry sort of thing built into the side. I had done up my own drawing and it was very similar to the modcon camper. Was thinking of building one but for the price of this thing I wouldn't bother.

The only thing I am unsure of on this thing is the annex. We like having a bigger under cover outside area. We cut the annex off our camper and setup a 6m x 6m tarp over it. I have been thinking of solutions for mounting a bigger annex to a hybrid caravan type thing. Once again this comes back to ease of setup verses how big it can be. It will be a little while before we can afford one but I will keep watching with interest.

we are in exactly the same position...

don't want to cook inside... just a bed, bunks and storage...

we have started really getting to like using our 3m gazebo for extra space next to our soft floor awning and i reckon we would use it with a new camper as well...

flexible, easy to carry and set up...

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 09:35:59 AM »

we have started really getting to like using our 3m gazebo for extra space next to our soft floor awning
flexible, easy to carry and set up...

Plus they seem to hold up really well in reasonable wind from what ive seen
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »
Plus they seem to hold up really well in reasonable wind from what ive seen

we have an alloy outdoor connection 3m gazebo and it's been great in wind...

i just made up some stronger tie down ropes with decent pegs and it's good to go...

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »
I'm the same, have a 3 metre Oztrail Deluxe and have made heavy ropes that tie to the frame and hold them in the ground with four of BrettB's pegs, holds up in all sorts of wind even with the walls on it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline bear92

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 03:08:59 PM »
We previously had a 2017 Patriot X1GT and did some awesome trips with that - couldn't fault it.  We ended up selling it as we weren't going to get the use out of it for a couple of years ... well not enough use to justify having that much money sitting around.  We sold it easily and went back to the tent until we could justify getting another trailer.  We really miss the X1 but we made the right decision.

We're still not ready (maybe next year) but decided to go to the Brisbane Caravan & Camping show just to get an idea of what was available and to start thinking about what we would like next time.  We're thinking something like a hybrid.  Something with a lot less canvas as we don't have much space at home to dry things out.  We like cooking/living outside and only go inside the tent/trailer to get changed or to sleep.  We don't want a bathroom setup inside as we rarely need one set up and they take up a bit of room that could be used for storage.

So off to the show we went.  I really wanted to see the new Jayco CrossTrak.  Jayco hadn't really done anything that could do serious off-road stuff so this looked like it was a step in that direction.  We really liked the CrossTrak but there were a few things I would look into further if it stays on the list when we're ready to buy.  The spare wheel being exposed under the trailer was a concern for starters.  Interestingly the rep said it was the only Jayco van that is warranted against corrugations.

We looked at a lot of other hybrids but nothing stood out.  We don't want anything where you have to slide the bedroom out, some designs we didn't like (eg having to close the sink/stove lids to access the pantry/kitchen storage - really annoying if cooking).

Eventually we had a look at the ModCon C3 and we both loved it.  Plenty of storage, lots of water storage, Queen bed and we could upgrade it to how we would want it set up.  Not interested in the TV or stereo.  I love my music but we choose to not listen to music or watch TV when camping.  When we were away for 3 months we never missed it.

The bunks are not needed but are not wasted as they are the seating when packed away, plus we can open the bunks up if needed.  We like the idea of the option to set up the outside shower tent but we'd put a room divider in it.  I'm not sure about how see-through the shower room would be of a night when lit up.  The photo on the official site shows it all lit up from the inside and if it had a person standing in it, it'd be like taking an x-ray  8)

Luckily we live about 10 minutes from the Jayco dealer and the Modcon factory is only about 20 minutes from our place so we'll be dropping in to check them out a bit more.  I'll have a lot of questions for them but the C3 is winning by a lot at the moment.

Offline envee

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired !! grey nomading.
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2019, 08:20:36 PM »
We had a good look at them at the Brisbane show as well.  When we bought the Mitchell a couple of years ago, our first choice was the Complete Campsite Exodus but they were out of our price range, so we went for the Mitchell. 

The C3 is a very similar design to the Exodus and certainly much more affordable and we liked it a lot.  Doesn't have everything we want but access is pretty good to allow things to be added quite easily.  The no plumbed hot water was probably our major concern about it but we were told that one is being made at the moment with a water heater unit and hot water to the sink and shower so it's something that Modcon are working on. 

We're seriously considering changing to one.

'14 Disco SE  '15 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

https://destinationpotatopoint.blogspot.com/

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2019, 06:51:34 AM »
has anyone actually bought a C3 that can offer up proper experience on them ?

Offline envee

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired !! grey nomading.
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2019, 10:49:52 AM »
has anyone actually bought a C3 that can offer up proper experience on them ?

Have a look on facebook. There's a Modcon users group and quite a few C3 owners on there.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:49:28 PM by envee »
'14 Disco SE  '15 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

https://destinationpotatopoint.blogspot.com/

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »
Have a look on facebook. There's a Modcon users group and quite a few C3 owners ob there.

X2 there are plenty of C3 users on this page, most with good reviews, only a couple with any issues. From memory the issues were seals, dust getting in and condensation in the storage boxes causing items to rust and get mould..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline jkwpajero

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2019, 08:04:59 PM »
We too are in the process of looking at hybrid campers. My number one choice would have been a Modcon C3 but I am hearing ball weights in the 250kg to 290kg ball weight loaded from owners. Good grief! My recently departed Modcon HFA forward fold weighed in at 220kg on the ball loaded and I am looking under that, if possible. We has a long hard look at a Jayco Crosstrak today in a dealers showroom, and Crosstraks are a little thin on the ground at dealers around central west NSW. The interior was well designed for our wants, remembering Jayco quality. The chassis and running gear were well made and finished. However, overall underneath was very poorly executed as far as electrical and ancillary plumbing were concerned. Too many corners cut and very poor quality control. As poor as any Chinese import I have seen, maybe worse. Simple things like no 240v GPO in the fridge slide despite the supplied fridge being 12V/240V.  I have emailed the dealer with my concerns and I'll see what sort of reply I get. I am still leaning toward one, IF my concerns can be addressed. Australian made maybe, but import quality I'm afraid. In my picky eyes anyway. Spending an unspecified amount to sort out manufacturing quality issues should not be needed. And upgrading what is purported to be a good electrical charging system with the addition of a DC/DC charger at my expense gets my goat, as one is not an option.

:cheers:
James
Growing older but not growing up.

2014 Pajero VR-X
2014 Jayco Starcraft Outback

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2019, 09:47:35 PM »
Simple things like no 240v GPO in the fridge slide despite the supplied fridge being 12V/240V.   And upgrading what is purported to be a good electrical charging system with the addition of a DC/DC charger at my expense gets my goat, as one is not an option.

James

Our previous van had a 12/240V fridge. It was even plugged into a power point, but in 6yrs never got used on 240V.

As a DC/DC is not regarded as a must have, Jayco just simplifies things to keep their costs down. Knowing how they like using undersize wires, installing yourself is probably a better option anyway.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra
The following users thanked this post: jkwpajero

Offline jkwpajero

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2019, 07:37:26 AM »
Our previous van had a 12/240V fridge. It was even plugged into a power point, but in 6yrs never got used on 240V.

As a DC/DC is not regarded as a must have, Jayco just simplifies things to keep their costs down. Knowing how they like using undersize wires, installing yourself is probably a better option anyway.

My recently departed Modcon HFA had a Engel Combi fridge/freezer that auto switched between 12v and 240v, when hooked up to mains power. I can see that Jayco, or any manufacturer, cuts costs where ever they can. The cheap fridge only in the Crosstrack would need to be replaced by the same as we had. A dedicated DC/DC would also be fitted, and there are many other quality issues I would have to bring up to my standard. And yes I am a picky old bugger who keeps a tight hold on my wallet.  My point is that Jayco make a song and dance about being Australian made, but the quality in many areas is on par, or below the imports. Still, the Crosstrack is appealing if I can get some answers back directly from Jayco about the issues I have with build quality.

James
Growing older but not growing up.

2014 Pajero VR-X
2014 Jayco Starcraft Outback

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2019, 08:15:01 PM »
Keep us in the loop re CrossTrak issues as we too are considering due to weight saving and Aus Made compared to C3.
We had a good look over the 16 Bunk/Family and liked the layout, but not the finish and lack of 240 for fridge and DCDC charging.

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2019, 07:56:04 AM »
Have you looked at the Reconn R2?

Might be another option to throw into the mix, with a lower towball weight

Aaron

We too are in the process of looking at hybrid campers. My number one choice would have been a Modcon C3 but I am hearing ball weights in the 250kg to 290kg ball weight loaded from owners. Good grief! My recently departed Modcon HFA forward fold weighed in at 220kg on the ball loaded and I am looking under that, if possible. We has a long hard look at a Jayco Crosstrak today in a dealers showroom, and Crosstraks are a little thin on the ground at dealers around central west NSW. The interior was well designed for our wants, remembering Jayco quality. The chassis and running gear were well made and finished. However, overall underneath was very poorly executed as far as electrical and ancillary plumbing were concerned. Too many corners cut and very poor quality control. As poor as any Chinese import I have seen, maybe worse. Simple things like no 240v GPO in the fridge slide despite the supplied fridge being 12V/240V.  I have emailed the dealer with my concerns and I'll see what sort of reply I get. I am still leaning toward one, IF my concerns can be addressed. Australian made maybe, but import quality I'm afraid. In my picky eyes anyway. Spending an unspecified amount to sort out manufacturing quality issues should not be needed. And upgrading what is purported to be a good electrical charging system with the addition of a DC/DC charger at my expense gets my goat, as one is not an option.

James
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia